Author Topic: A (hopefully) non-combative Global Warming post  (Read 1624 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
A (hopefully) non-combative Global Warming post
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »
http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-06/ff_heresies_intro

An interesting series of articles that address the top 10" heresies" GW folk need to embrace to help fight GW. I haven't read through all of them but there is some good info to be found. As everyone knows, I'm not a believer in man made GW but I definitely like efforts to keep the environment clean. Just as an example, one of the articles is about how buying a used car that gets good mpg is better than buying a new hybrid. This is because the manufacturing of the hybrid's battery creates more BTUs than running the old used car for 100k miles.

Hopefully this doesn't have to go to the debate forum. I wasn't wanting an argument. I just wanted to share a very interesting read.

Enjoy (or not).

:) 
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: A (hopefully) non-combative Global Warming post
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »
Interesting reads, though, some of them are a bit old news. (Doesn't mean that they should't be highlighted, though.)

E.g. I've heard the one about the hybrid car before. I always thought that it was odd that people never highlight the problems with creation and disposal of the batteries. I've also heard the arguments against carbon trading as well.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: A (hopefully) non-combative Global Warming post
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
Yeah, my brother and I always bring up this line of reasoning in our conversations.

Carter banned nuclear waste processing plants because of an accident in Japan, but offered no alternative to how to process the waste.

California banned the building of any more nuclear plants and then was alarmed when they ran out of power and had to buy it from Texas (a lot of which cost a remarkable amount to arrange in transportation, not to mention the massive amounts of carbon emission from the effort).

I'm not trying to bring up a debate either, but I'm just noticing a common problem in environmental policy is that it's hard to come up with a long-sighted solution that doesn't bite you in the ass.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."