Author Topic: Tomorrow, with a bit of luck, I won't break a leg.  (Read 2154 times)

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
Tomorrow, with a bit of luck, I won't break a leg.
« on: May 23, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »
Tomorrow is the first performance of my local theatre company's production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I'm playing Aslan.  The costume weighs at least 40kg and includes crutches.

My biggest concern is...well, frankly, the biggest one is whether the costume will be finished (I spent the last two hours with the costume ladies trying to make the rear legs stop grinding against the floor) but beyond that my biggest concern is being able to move on stage effectively without having bits of my costume fall apart.  I wore most of the costume for our final dress rehearsal last night and...there we some issues.

On the upside, I've discovered I can sing while hunched over on child-sized crutches and carrying the equivalent of a very hairy supermodel on my back.  I'm sure that'll look good on my resume.

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Tomorrow, with a bit of luck, I won't break a leg.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:16:39 AM »
good thing to know about yourself. :D

*thumbs up* I hope it goes well.
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
I broke a leg...

The costume arrived during intermission.  Which is ok.  I didn't need it til halfway through act 2.  There's been a lot of work go into a costume that I only wear for maybe 20 minutes.

But yes, the leg...it was one of the costume's legs, not my own, which is a plus.  And it'll be an easy fix.

I knew something was wrong when the audience started giggling every time I walked.  The threaded rod that linked the costume leg to my own leg had come adrift and the leg was stuck at an odd angle off behind me.  So yeah.  From all accounts it was a good show (barring one grumpy old man who arrived half an hour late, complained that the house lights weren't turned on so he could find his seat and then left shortly later saying something like "It'll have to be a lot better before I come back.")

So glad to have that first performance out of the way though.  It was nervewracking.  Next performance is in 5 days, so I've got some time to relax.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 03:30:59 AM »
i'm glad it went mostly well
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
From all accounts it was a good show (barring one grumpy old man who arrived half an hour late, complained that the house lights weren't turned on so he could find his seat and then left shortly later saying something like "It'll have to be a lot better before I come back.")

There's an incentive!  ;D

Congrats on a good show!

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!