Author Topic: Meh, what's another $150 million at this point anyway  (Read 1628 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Meh, what's another $150 million at this point anyway
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090117/ap_on_go_pr_wh/inauguration_spending

Obama's inaugural committee has raised more than $41 million to cover events ranging from a Philadelphia-to-Washington train ride to a megastar concert with Beyonce, U2 and Bruce Springsteen to 10 official inaugural balls. Add to that the massive costs of security and transportation — costs absorbed by U.S. taxpayers — and the historic inauguration will produce an equally historic bill.

In 2005, Reps. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., and Jim McDermott, D-Wash., asked Bush to show a little less pomp and be a little more circumspect at his party.

"President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake," the two lawmakers wrote in a letter. "During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified."

More at link

First off, grats to the AP for A) figuring out that spending all this money right now is pretty out of touch with what's going on and B) actually reporting on it since it's Democrats spending the cash.

Second, don't take this post as a knock on Obama as I'm 99.9% sure that McCain and the Republicans would have done the same type of thing had they won. It's simply another example of how our politicians live in their own little world which has its own rules and reality. And the sad thing is that Democrat voters aren't going to call them out on this except for maybe a few who will probably be immediately shouted down because this inauguration is "historic". Yep, it's a historic waste of money. So much for caring about the little guy, eh?
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: Meh, what's another $150 million at this point anyway
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:19 PM »
Yeah, it's a trend.

Bush's second inauguration was the most expensive up to that point. Obama seems to be attempting to top him.

I mean, I can see the purpose of wanting to get the nation fired up and all, but it just seems a big waste.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Meh, what's another $150 million at this point anyway
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »
More on this is coming out. ABC has discovered the story now.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/Story?id=6665946&page=1

Price tag is up to $170 million and a significant portion being covered by donations (total donations account for less than 1/3 of the total cost) is coming from corporate bigwigs that  just got bailed out by the government (with tax payer money). How convenient.

"The finance sector is well represented, despite its recent troubles," Ritsch said. "Those who worked in finance still managed to pull together nearly $7 million for the inauguration."

The donors will get some of the best seats in the house for the inauguration, as well as admittance to some of the best balls and other events.

"I don't think that they're going to get a whole lot of face time with the new president himself," Ritsch said, "but they are certainly establishing themselves from day one as his biggest financial supporters. And if there's something they need or to tell him down the road, they will have an easier time doing that than everyone else."

New administration same as the old administration I guess.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:19:29 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney