Author Topic: Work for free and we'll give you a pool party!  (Read 1821 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Work for free and we'll give you a pool party!
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »
My boyfriend was just asked to stay a few hours over (he's doing freelance writing during the strike). There would be no pay BUT... if you work for three hours you get invited to the sub manager's pool party.

gee whadda treat...

He said: "No thanks."

I suppose this is better than my old boss that wanted me to be committed and work an extra seven hours a week for free. Still. Three hours for an invite to a pool party? We can go down to the Mandalay Bay and party at their pool and simulated beach for free! I was already preaching to the choir but I said: "Not worth it. What's the incentive? For the pay you get in three hours we could go down to the Strip, have our own pool party, get our own drinks and have money left over."
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: Work for free and we'll give you a pool party!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:33:17 PM »
SCAB!
But that's cool.
A friend of mine worked contract for a web dev company, and they eventually "promoted" him to fulltime. At that point they expected him to work at least 50 hours a week, on top of taking a massive pay cut to his hourly rate. Then again that company's mentality sucks. After he took a job somewhere else, they stopped giving me work because I am his friend.

That's real grown-up eh?

Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
what if there were naked chicks in bikinis and free martinis? You could drink 3 hours worth of salary easily then :3

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »
what if there were naked chicks in bikinis and free martinis? You could drink 3 hours worth of salary easily then :3
Tank poses an interesting question. Especially about the martinibikinis.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."