Author Topic: So apparently the whole "it doesn't work" argument for torture is dead wrong  (Read 14564 times)

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Never mind that it would be totally out of character for me to make fun of something like that.

No, it's much more important that you become so completely unhinged by the subject matter of this thread that you go looking for hidden meaning in a completely innocent post I made. Grats Owly, you've gone full retard.

It's not that I am looking for a hidden meaning. Your post comes off as smarmy. Sorry, but it does (akin to "take a chill pill... wouldn't want you to get all bitchy now".... except much worse - but that's the context I read it in.) It did not come across as "We're heating things up, and you said your stress from here was partially a reason for your absence, and I'd rather not see that happen again. Let's turn it down a notch."

I do believe that you were concerned about BC, etc. And at this point, yea, I also believe that you meant no malice. It was out of character for you, and maybe I should have seen that. But I stand by that it was a poor choice of words/contextual phrasing. I apologize for the real world comment too (see, that's opening a door I shouldn't open).

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Never mind that it would be totally out of character for me to make fun of something like that.

No, it's much more important that you become so completely unhinged by the subject matter of this thread that you go looking for hidden meaning in a completely innocent post I made. Grats Owly, you've gone full retard.

It's not that I am looking for a hidden meaning. Your post comes off as smarmy. Sorry, but it does (akin to "take a chill pill... wouldn't want you to get all bitchy now".... except much worse - but that's the context I read it in.) It did not come across as "We're heating things up, and you said your stress from here was partially a reason for your absence, and I'd rather not see that happen again. Let's turn it down a notch."

I do believe that you were concerned about BC, etc. And at this point, yea, I also believe that you meant no malice. It was out of character for you, and maybe I should have seen that. But I stand by that it was a poor choice of words/contextual phrasing. I apologize for the real world comment too (see, that's opening a door I shouldn't open).

Apology accepted. Perhaps I could have worded it better to make my meaning clear but looking at it I honestly don't see what you saw.

In any case, things have gotten a little too heated in the debate forum and I think I'm going to take a break from it. As much as I disagree with you guys on a lot of issues, I never mean for anything here to be taken personally. If people can't separate the two from each other, I'd rather not debate. Your friendships, limited as they are over the internet, are important to me. Don't ever doubt that.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
STOP BEING RATIONAL! THIS IS THE UNWASHED VILLAGE.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
STOP BEING RATIONAL! THIS IS THE UNWASHED VILLAGE.

Falls in the water well.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
Have you ever smelled a porcupine as it's thrown through the air by a huge lumberjack who screams "I'm never going to wash myself again, not for a million dollars!"?