Author Topic: What is the Village?  (Read 2246 times)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
What is the Village?
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Yet another episode of "Acd needs quotes from people to help with homework"

the assignment is to write an essay/poem/piece in the form of an abcdarian. take the letters of the alphabet and use them as the beginnings to paragraphs. using the method that my professor demands i have narrowed some of my choices down to writing about the village or various other crap in my life. i could write strongly about love triangles and websites but of course the village is much more amusing and a better way to occupy my time.

what i really just need answered is why you keep coming back. what brought you here in the first place. if placed as a dictionary entry, what would you say.

i might be trying to define the undefinable, but imma do it if it kills me.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: What is the Village?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »
writing about the village or various other crap in my life.

Gasp!

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:10:05 AM »
shocking isnt it?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Turjan

• Wasteland Denizen
  • You cannot kill a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »
What is the Village...yes, what indeed?

The title of this thread reminded me of a little piece of Unwashed descriptive prose I wrote many years (and many boards) ago, way back in the last century in fact. Christmas 1999 to be exact :)
What I said then is still true, give or take, so here it is again -

Imagine if you will a long, long beach. It is just before another chilly dawn, and the only sound is the gentle hissing of the low
breakers on the damp sand ahead. On the sand sits a long, long line of people, stretching along the coast from left to right, right
to left, as far as the eye can see. Each is in a world of his or her own, but knows the others in the line, knows they are of one
mind, and shares also the knowldege that a world of regrets, and remorse, follies and fooling, mistakes and mishaps has
brought them all here, to the edge of the world.

Outcasts all, seeking their salvation at the edge of the world, and finding the solitary company of other like-minded souls...

These are the Unwashed Villagers.

The black sand upon which they sit is the Wasteland of humanity, and the cold, cold sea which washes almost to the long line
of feet is an Ocean of tears, shed by the Unwashed in memory of the evil of the world which lies forever just a few steps behind
them.

But they don't look back, oh no, not these weary and time-battered souls. They look forever outward, up and across the sea, a
sea made from the sad sparkles of their own tears, and they hope against hope that one day they'll cross those bitter waters to
another land, a land where they will feel truly at home.

But all is not sadness and tears for our friends the Villagers, no indeed! For here and there a jester dances, skipping down the
line of long faces, a joke always on the tip of the tongue, and a bladderstick ever at the ready to remind the others what fun
really means.

Laughter ripples along the line, like the rippling of the waves in their Sea of Salvation.

The sun rises, and the Villagers smile, knowing that whatever evils lie behind them, however large their sea may grow, this will
always be a home to them, right here, this beach. For they are The Unwashed Village, just as their tears are the Sea of
Salvation, and as long as they stay together, the dawn will always break before them, the light of the new day will always strike
their upturned faces.

And they are content.