Author Topic: Once again... food recipes?  (Read 15543 times)

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
Re: Once again... food recipes?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »
Ok... this probably belongs on the links forum, but it's relevant so I'll post it here.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/mark_bittman_on_what_s_wrong_with_what_we_eat.html

It's about 20 minutes, but I found it worth the time.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 05:13:37 AM »
What I'm about to describe will sound disgusting, but it isn't.

BLT, toasted, with peanut butter.  It's delicious.

Also, make pancakes, but stir some cottage cheese into the batter before you make them.

And last but not least, grilled cheese, with jalapenos and honey.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
I made this. It's better if you let it sit overnight.

Fruited Curry Chicken Salad

*   4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked and diced
    * 1 stalk celery, chopped
    * 1/2 onion, chopped
    * 1 small apple - peeled, cored and chopped
    * 1/3 cup golden raisins
    * 1/3 cup seedless green grapes, halved
    * 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    * 3/4 cup mayonnaise

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large salad bowl combine the chicken, celery, onion, apple, raisins, grapes, pecans, pepper, curry powder and mayonnaise. Mix all together, tossing to coat. Salad is ready to serve!

I had to make it without onions but it tastes really grrreat.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »
How about this, a deep fried, peanut butter-covered brownie, wrapped in cookie dough.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
How about this, a deep fried, peanut butter-covered brownie, wrapped in cookie dough.

With a Diet Coke®
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 05:17:15 AM »
With a Diet Coke®

Well yeah!  It balances out then, so it's just like eating a rice cake!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 03:56:42 AM »
I made this tonight. It was really good!

Easy Raspberry Chicken with Coconut Rice

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 cups water
    * 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-fat coconut milk
    * 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
    * 1 cup Basmati rice
    * 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
    * 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast half - cut into bite-size pieces
    * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
    * 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pot, bring to a boil the water, coconut milk, ginger, and rice; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed.
   2. Meanwhile, in a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, lemon pepper, and chicken; shake to coat.
   3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken strips and rosemary, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove chicken pieces from pan, and set aside. Pour raspberry vinegar into skillet, and simmer until reduced by half. Return chicken to skillet, and cook until all liquid is absorbed. Serve with coconut rice.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
http://www.stilltasty.com/

Interesting site that gives tips on the best ways to store various foods to keep them fresh.  8)
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »
Was playing around with a big lump of beef for tonights dinner at my kitchen at the dorm. The taste was absolutely fantastic!

(portion for 12 people)
5 pounds of beef.
5 medium onions, chopped
3-5 tblspoons of vegetable oil (not olive)
1 tblspoon hot paprika
2 tblspoons mustard seeds
1 tblspoon thyme
2 tblspoons mixed pepper-seeds (black, red, green, grey and white)
1 teaspoon chili
2 teaspoons tabasco
2 teaspoons cumen
4 piri-piri chilis (8 if everyone enjoys spicy food)
4 pounds carrots
3 liters of water
2 small cans of tomato concentrate (tomato puree)
maizena corn-starch or the likes to thicken the sauce

Cut away the fat and tendons as best you can and then cut into slices of appropriate size (approx 1 inch by a quarter).
Chop half the carrots, shred the other half (like you'd do for a cold-slaw)
Chop the onions.
Crush the spices in a mortar
Add the oil and approx. the same amount of water to a large pot. Heat and roast the spices in the mix. If you have beef-froth from a previous meal, feel free to add.
Once properly roasted, add onions to the spice mix. Wait for them to turn golden, then lower heat a bit ebfore adding the meat. Wait for the emat to be brown on all sides (not cooked through, just the sides get a pretty color).
Add in water and the shredded carrots and tomato puree. Let boil for approx. an hour, then add the carrot slices and cook for another 15 minutes. Add salt to taste, then use the starch to thicken the sauce to taste.

Serve with mashed or baked potatos or rice. I really enjoy the varied spices, the mustard-seeds cause small pocket of different flavour, the chili isn't overpowering and it's all-round tasty. also a great way to use the cheaper cuts of beef and softening them up so they aren't as stringy as usual.

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
Ok can't resist this one.
These are 2 of my recent favorites that my doctor really hates me for (i Have a LOW cholesterol issue so need to increase the fat in my diet :D)(as an evil side note my cholesterol is now 31(good) 64(bad))

1st
5 star Alfredo Pizza w chicken bacon and mushrooms (say goodbye to your arteries)
(as a side note my local pizza place now makes this after i brought them one from home lol)
Ingredients
Pizza crust, i use fresh homemade dough it is the 1 thing the bread maker gets used for lol
(frozen dough works or boboloi lol)
Alfredo sauce (again i make my own but jared sauce from grocery store works very well)
Pizza cheese mix (2 cps per pizza)
provalone cheese slices (halved)
Feta cheese (dry crumbled)
parmesan and romano (shake cheese)
grilled chicken cubed (1cp per pizza)(this can be bought premade as well)
bacon (crumbled not bits i cut up pre-cooked bacon)
mushrooms (fresh or canned)

ok i gonna assume u got your dough spread on the pizza pan or frozen crust thawed and rdy
lightly sauce the crust with the alfredo sauce (a good sprinkle of greek oregano here is nice too)
add feta, shake cheese and provolone then chicken bacon and mushroom and finaly top with the bag of shredded cheese

bake at 375 until top bubbles and crust is cooked to your likeing (note this does not work well with "thin crust")

the second recipe i will be glad to share is surpriseingly low fat (but i make up for it later lol)

Pork cuttletes in gravy with cheesy mashed potatos and of course applesauce (spiced baked apple if u want to make it fancy)
This works well in crockpot as well (just mix the corn starch in 10-15min before serving)
(serves 2 but doubles nicely for 3 heavier eaters :D)
1lb pork loin cuttletes (6-8 cuttlets): i buy the whole pork loin and cut my own roasts chops and cuttletes
1 can Beef stock (2 cubes in 1 1/2 cps water works)
1 cp water 
4 little green onions chopped (1 tbls onion powder works well)
1 tbls minced garlic (1/2 ts garlic powder works well)
1 can mushrooms in water drained (save juice to mix with corn starch)
*2-3 tbls corn starch
Trim fat from the pork cutlets (i leave a little fat for added flavor)
place all in large covered pot except for corn starch bring to boil stirring occasionly
once boiling reduce to a simmer (low enough so it just bubbles)
Stir in corn starch mixed with enough water to totaly disolve it (i use the juice from the mushrooms here :D)
cook covered on low for about 2 hours stirring occasionaly (can be served after about 1 hour but 2 hours makes the cuttlets fork cuttable :D) (also note that it freezes very well for later quick meals)
Serve with Mashed potatos (I add 2-3 slices of hoffmans supersharp cheese when mashing)
i also serve with "spiced apple" apple sauce to finish it off
this is a very filling and surprisingly very lowfat meal (i use real butter, cheese and whole milk in my mashed potatos as i DO have a LOW cholesterol issue and need the added fat :D)

just thought i would share :D

You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 02:25:57 AM »
Not really a recipe as such, and I've never tried it, but if you ever want to increase your risk of a heart attack:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
OMG!!! I am making that tonight (yes yes i am got everything i need on hand)(just refilled the propane take on the smoker too lol) will tell you how it comes out but sounds awesume (and so so fits with my diet :D)
if i can get the stupid camera working i will try to post a nice pic of it for you :D
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »
 :stunned: Thats terrifying. just..... terrifying.  :anxious:
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »
when one has a cholesterol lvl of 27/64 one must do what one must to raise it to acceptable lvls

(once again my screwed up body delivers a diet that is sooooo hard to follow)

BTW it is out in the smoker now :D

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »
Do tell!

We made what we call a "Bacon Roast" last sumemr at my kitchen. Same concept with the bacon, but we made it maybe 5 tiems as long, slathered it in cheese and rolled it all up like a very big cinnamon bun and roasted it. The thing had to be removed form the grill every 5 mins, since all the fat set the thing ablaze. Prolly burned half the weigght off before it was done, but it was tasty!

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.