Author Topic: So, this year's TV shows  (Read 23277 times)

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Re: So, this year's TV shows
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
Watched the episode of Chuck that was in 3D that's been over-hyped for the last couple of weeks.

Epic fail.

The episode itself was good but once again the 3D tech was blah. How many versions of the same crappy tech are they going to come up with until they just chuck it (intended).  Maybe it was just my eyes but the glasses made everything so dark and blurry that it was a rather unpleasant viewing experience for me.

If Monsters vs Aliens is going to be in 3D with that tech then there's no way I'm going to see it.  >:(

I didn't see it (never watched the show), but from what I understand, 3D does not work well on TV (you don't get the "stuff coming at you" effect... which to me, is the entire point of 3D)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 08:05:17 PM »
I didn't see it (never watched the show), but from what I understand, 3D does not work well on TV (you don't get the "stuff coming at you" effect... which to me, is the entire point of 3D)

It worked when they did it but it's almost like they filmed a normal version of the show without incorporating a bunch of those effects. There was a scene where a knife was thrown and it seemed to come right out of the screen. So I know the effect worked it's just that they underutilized it. Not that it would have mattered because the dark and blurry effect from the glasses made the whole experience uncomfortable for me.

My parents watched it and I talked to them today. They felt the same way. I actually was moved to go register at NBC's forums for the show and tell them how much I disliked it. The majority of the fans seem to agree that it was a cheap ploy for ratings but what's funny is that they point out that last night's show was fairly weak. I mean it was enjoyable for existing fans but it was nothing to write home about. Since they were obviously trying to attract new viewers they should have really put together a great show and they didn't manage to do that. The only thing that might attract some guys is that they did show off Yvonne Strahovsky in a skimpy outfit.  Personally I think a better written show would have done more for them...not that I'm taking away from Yvonne's hotness because she is extremely attractive.  :P

From the Hallloween episode in season 1

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:13:05 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 05:21:37 AM »
People don't watch sitcoms anymore?
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Well, the problem seems to be that there are, at any given, 4 or 5 good sitcoms on the air (not counting animated sitcoms, that is).

80-100% of them are usually on NBC, and this has not changed.

The good sitcoms on TV right now are, in order

1st: 30 Rock, NBC
1st (tie): Scrubs, ABC
3rd: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, FX

Normally, the fourth place show would be placed here, but to rank it fourth would indicate it is only one spot below the show above it and only three spots below those first two shows, which I find wildly inaccurate, so the next show will be ranked 8th.

8th: The Office, NBC
9th: My Name is Earl, NBC

Perhaps I am just forgetting something good, so somebody feel free to remind me and/or inform me of any decent sitcoms left on tv after that point

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
People don't watch sitcoms anymore?

My parents watch 30 Rock and The Office. If I'm over at their place on Thursdays I'll watch with them. I'm strange with sitcoms as it seems that ever since I became an adult I tend to skip them when they are in their prime but then I'll get into them when they hit syndication. Some examples of this are Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond,  and The Drew Carey Show. However the shows I typically like to watch (Chuck, Life, Sarah Connor, etc) are rarely pure drama and usually have a good deal of humor in them. Yes, Sarah Connor Chronicles will usually make me  :laugh: at least once per episode. Summer Glau can be extremely funny with her character.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »

The good sitcoms on TV right now are, in order

1st: 30 Rock, NBC
1st (tie): Scrubs, ABC
3rd: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, FX
8th: The Office, NBC
9th: My Name is Earl, NBC

I used to like Scrubs, but got out of the habit of watching it....I think it's been a few years since I watched it on purpose.  I like 30 Rock any time I see it, but always forget what day it is on so have not seen more then a handful of episodes. The office is sweet, and I got bored of My name is Earl.

I don't have an order I like things, but I do enjoy

1. flight of the conchords
6. how I met your mother
9. the big bang theory

~KGF

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »

1. flight of the conchords
6. how I met your mother

Awesome shows. =)

If you want to get geeky, Batman: The Brave and Bold is funny. It's like watching a midpoint between the Old Adam West Show and the 90's Batman.

Aquaman: And that’s how I recovered the stolen statue. I call that “The Mystery of the Stolen Statue.”

Points to a Robot Sea Serpent.
“The Secret of the Mechanical Sea Monster.”

Points to a Sunken Ship
“Coral Reef Rescue.”

And the time I wore an eye patch to infiltrate a crew of pirates, I call that…

Batman: “Aquaman’s Undercover Adventure.”

Aquaman: No. “The Time I Wore an Eye Patch to Infiltrate a Crew of Pirates.” But what you said is good too.

----------

Aquaman: Hang on, there’s someone else here that wants to say hi. Fluke! Look how excited he is.

Dolphin rubs against Batman

Batman: (thinking) Fluke, the most obnoxious dolphin on the planet.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »
So being a fan of Firefly I decided to give Dollhouse a try (both are written by Joss Whedon). Yeesh, that was horribly bad. Basically it was the same story as My Own Worst Enemy except without humor, action, suspense or even remotely interesting characters.  :(

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
So being a fan of Firefly I decided to give Dollhouse a try (both are written by Joss Whedon). Yeesh, that was horribly bad. Basically it was the same story as My Own Worst Enemy except without humor, action, suspense or even remotely interesting characters.  :(

I didn't get a chance to see it, went out for dinner instead.  Maybe the second one will be better.

What they really need to make is a new star trek, I miss star trek. :(
~KGF

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »

What they really need to make is a new star trek, I miss star trek. :(

You do know there is a Star Trek movie due out soon right? I have to ask because...well...you're Canadian.   ;)

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »

*covers ears*

I can't hear you unless you say this in a movie thread, or a lame joke thread.

;D
~KGF

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »

*covers ears*

I can't hear you unless you say this in a movie thread, or a lame joke thread.

;D

I'll have you know that every thread that I post in is potentially a lame joke thread. So there! *stomps foot and puffs out chest proudly*

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 02:53:37 AM »
http://www.hulu.com/watch/64072/chuck-chuck-versus-the-predator

Gotta say, this week's Chuck was probably the best one ever. Give it a look if you haven't given it a chance yet. Also, for those that were Arrested Development fans, this episode features a good amount of screen time for one Assistant Manager Emmett Milbarge.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:15:56 AM by Brugdor »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 04:11:07 AM »
I like Dexter, but I have a really bad temper that sometimes gets the best of me, so watching a show about a guy who kills bad people, (which can be a really subjective criterion), with step-by-step instructions on how he gets away with it while you're fuming about what a douche your boss is and how you'd like to get even with them probably isn't the best idea.  Plus, his inner monologues get kind of creepy when you find yourself reluctantly agreeing with his justifications of his actions and whatnot.  He kind of drove it home at the end of season 1 with "I'm one of them, in their darkest dreams..."  ::shudder::  His sis is hot though.  Not "Billie Piper hot", but not far behind.

I'm in the middle of Season Two. I just saw the BEST scene so far.

It's the "I own you" scene with Doakes.

I clapped when it happened. =)

However, Dexter still seems to be making potential mistakes this season. Things that would look very suspicious if he were ever seen doing it... and he does it at low profile places like a police station. For someone that's supposed to be very calculating and working toward hiding his activities... you have to ask why he doesn't take better precautions.

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2009, 01:47:50 AM »
Mythbusters has been really good for their first two episodes this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh835unue5w

Rocket car pancake last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCszy7mQye8

Frozen newspaper boat this week. Link doesn't show it on this one but they got it up to 25mph or so.

;D