Author Topic: My opinion on Warhammer Online so far  (Read 3056 times)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
My opinion on Warhammer Online so far
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
Well, I've had it for five days or so and I've had time to form a decent impression of it I think.

In short, it's fun and has potential but is fuckin' buggy and unpolished as hell.

I like the pvp system, the queue-anywhere mechanics, and the fact that you gain reg. exp in pvp.  Combat is pretty fun, a nice blend of tactics and timing, though I need to get to a higher level before I can really compare it to WOW, as I'm way used to level 70 WoW combat, which is obviously much more complicated. 

I'm rank 15 now with my PVP rank around 11 or so.  One thing I'm unclear on is how pvp gear progression works- there were PVP gear vendors around in the T1 areas, and I haven't seen any at all in the T2 areas.  PVP ability trainers are pretty rare as well.

The graphics are pretty tight, except I'm having some problems making them run perfectly on my ATI video card- without anti-aliasing edges are pixellated, but with AA on I get weird transparency issues.

The in-game text is unpolished as hell; I've seen plenty of typos, and yesterday I saw some orcs that yelled what looked like a pointer address over and over.  Not that big of a deal, just funny and a bit distracting.

Of course, the biggest bug I have is that I can't play a greenskin character.  I've created and logged in as both chaos and dark elf toons, but whenever I try to log in on a greenskin toon, WAR crashes to the desktop.  That's kind of a big deal.

So, yeah.  Fun so far and I have high hopes, but they better keep patching the hell out of it.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: My opinion on Warhammer Online so far
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »
Well, I've had it for five days or so and I've had time to form a decent impression of it I think.

In short, it's fun and has potential but is fuckin' buggy and unpolished as hell.

I like the pvp system, the queue-anywhere mechanics, and the fact that you gain reg. exp in pvp.  Combat is pretty fun, a nice blend of tactics and timing, though I need to get to a higher level before I can really compare it to WOW, as I'm way used to level 70 WoW combat, which is obviously much more complicated. 

I'm rank 15 now with my PVP rank around 11 or so.  One thing I'm unclear on is how pvp gear progression works- there were PVP gear vendors around in the T1 areas, and I haven't seen any at all in the T2 areas.  PVP ability trainers are pretty rare as well.

The graphics are pretty tight, except I'm having some problems making them run perfectly on my ATI video card- without anti-aliasing edges are pixellated, but with AA on I get weird transparency issues.

The in-game text is unpolished as hell; I've seen plenty of typos, and yesterday I saw some orcs that yelled what looked like a pointer address over and over.  Not that big of a deal, just funny and a bit distracting.

Of course, the biggest bug I have is that I can't play a greenskin character.  I've created and logged in as both chaos and dark elf toons, but whenever I try to log in on a greenskin toon, WAR crashes to the desktop.  That's kind of a big deal.

So, yeah.  Fun so far and I have high hopes, but they better keep patching the hell out of it.

After tier 1, renown gear merchants can only be found in keeps and Sigmar's Hammer (or Destruction equivalent) in the main city (Altdorf/Chaos city).  The problem is that your server has to have ranked up your main city to either 3 or 4 (I forget which) to get access to Sigmar's or the Destruction one. Renown trainers are keeps only after tier 1 I think.

Not sure what's going on with the greenskins and you. Maybe you're having an issue with the cinematic that plays when you first choose one? *shrug*

The level of complication really depends on your class. Engineers are pretty complicated if you want to play them to their full potential for instance. Bright Wizards and Sorcerers seem to just be the stand back and press the "I win" button classes. So there's a mix.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:51 PM »
Yeah, I may reinstall the game to see if that fixes my greenskin problem, but reinstalling would take SO INCREDIBLY FUCKING LONG
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »
Yeah, I may reinstall the game to see if that fixes my greenskin problem, but reinstalling would take SO INCREDIBLY FUCKING LONG

amen
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »
RAWR! Slayers incoming!

This might actually bring me back. I'm still debating it but I think that even if I don't get one to level cap it will still be fun for a month or so.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:54:30 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:45:49 AM »
Well there are options that are supposed to help if you have 'graphics issues' under the ingame options menu.

Anyways, I got my Blackguard to 40 a couple of days ago. PvP while leveling is fun in the first two tiers. 3 sucks Destro side on my server but T4 is pretty decent in the evenings.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 08:36:26 PM »