Author Topic: So, just rewatched "The Stand" and something is bugging me.  (Read 1505 times)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
So, just rewatched "The Stand" and something is bugging me.
« on: November 10, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »
So in the very beginning of the story, when the superflu first leaks out, it kills everyone on the base right where they were standing, almost instantly. You even see one guy who looks like he died mid-swing playing ping-pong in the breakroom. And weirder still is that none of these people even llook sick, not like the people who die in the rest of the miniseries. They're not all red and puffy looking or anything.

But then Charles Campion, who got sick during the same outbreak at the same time, doesn't start getting sick until after he fled the base and succumbs to the illness the way everyone else did for the rest of the miniseries.

What was up with that?

(Edit: It happened that way in the novel too. One guy in the base just died eating soup, face in the soup bowl and everything.)
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: So, just rewatched "The Stand" and something is bugging me.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:23:39 AM »
Maybe it's because they were exposed directly to the plague rather than catching it second hand. Campion might have just had a bit more resistance than the others.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!