Author Topic: New Fallout 3 screens and a crying Vault Boy  (Read 19581 times)

Ban

• Tangerine Target
  • communications: aural literal visual & tactile
    • View Profile
Re: New Fallout 3 screens and a crying Vault Boy
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »
Ive been thinking about this leveling thing, and under risk of provoking solwyn, heres my two cents.

I think it'd be good if there were two kinds of areas in all parts of the world. For the sake of legibility and RPG cliche, I will call these areas highways and forrests.

The 'highway' areas being the ones that do not level. If you stick to the paths, towns, and well lit campfires you will encounter a set resistance. rats>wolves>goblins>trolls>giants>badass evildoers etc.
The 'forrest' areas being areas that are scaled to your level.

This way, you notice when you're skipping a bit too far ahead, because the highways are getting difficult to survive getting from A to B, but when youre the famous hero and return home, sure the bully from your adolesence is gonna wet his pants, but there are going to be beasts and assasins waiting for you in the shadows.

I am ingeniotic.
I got chocolate bubblegum!

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:03 AM »
A minor bump, but here's the achievement list for the Xbox 360 version of Fallout 3. Not sure if this is confirmed or not but 2 of those achievements are in the game for sure so it looks to be on the level.

Fallout 3 Achievements

i approve of this. Oblivion's achievements were booooring.

i love "Doesn't Play Well With Others"  :laugh:

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »
While I was rather hoping there wouldn't be so many achievements tied to completing quests, I do love the Vault Boy icons they use. I think the one for the "Those" achievement is my fave so far.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »
Now, doesn't this look rather cool? I want one  ;D

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »

The 'highway' areas being the ones that do not level. If you stick to the paths, towns, and well lit campfires you will encounter a set resistance. rats>wolves>goblins>trolls>giants>badass evildoers etc.
The 'forrest' areas being areas that are scaled to your level.

This way, you notice when you're skipping a bit too far ahead, because the highways are getting difficult to survive getting from A to B, but when youre the famous hero and return home, sure the bully from your adolesence is gonna wet his pants, but there are going to be beasts and assasins waiting for you in the shadows.

I am ingeniotic.

That's a great idea but I also hope they leave you alone. eg. She's too powerful for us. We can just sense it. Let's not attack her.

I remember Asheron's Call.

I've attacked and won against Skeleton Lords, Bugs on par with the Xenomorph from Aliens, Shadow Men, Yeti throwing fire creatures and yet... Rabbits will continue to attack me as I prance though the forest.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2008, 01:19:02 AM »
It's hard to provoke me. I just fire at random.

And I'm never against any kind of leveling system, because to be honest if the world doesn't change with you, it's not fun really. My personal philosophy is like most progressive Americans these days : everything is cool, just keep it in moderation.

The two ends of the spectrum to me in this way would be
1) a world in which the Mountain of Doom and Death that looms over your home town and serves as the primary motivation for your hero's quest is populated completely by giant rats and gnats if you wander into it immediately. (That would be like Luke just chopping Vader's head off in the last 30 minutes of the first movie).
2 ) a world in which you are finally capable of leveling mountains with the palm of your hand but then you go to have a piss in the woods by your house and a level 900 rabid wombat chomps your dongle off before you can even zip up and the game is over. (Which would be like Sauron just using some kind of laser vision to melt the hobbits as soon as they walked into Mordor.

"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »
It seems one of the first reviews has appeared in a Frech mag, and the game got 93%.

It notes that the game isn't perfect as there's a few bugs and issues but nothing major and that it'll be welcoming both to new players and fans alike.

The opinion seems to be that the "It's Oblivion with guns!" fear has been avoided.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
Now, doesn't this look rather cool? I want one  ;D

I consider this my consolation prize since my computer is too old to run Fallout 3 and I don't see myself having the superfluous income to purchase a new one any time soon.  Almost as good, but not quite.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
I believe the system reqs for Fallout 3 are a 2.4Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM & 256MB graphics for the minimums - it's a moot point for me as I'm going for the 360 version (as are Turjan and I think it was Night Owl said he was too) instead. The 360 version seems to be the one that's always shown off anyway.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
system requirements from Bethesda's site:

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP/Vista
    * 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
    * 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    * 2 GB System RAM
    * NvidiaDirect X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)