Author Topic: Time to regenerate  (Read 7095 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Time to regenerate
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:37:59 PM »
Tennant quits as The Doctor

Not entirely unexpected, but still a shame. DT was the best Doctor since Tom Baker. Guess we can get ready for the months of speculation for who'll become the 11th Doctor.

Nighthavok

Re: Time to regenerate
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »
I thought he was going to be The Riddler in the next Batman installment.  Confirm/Deny.

Anyway, that sucks.  I liked him as the Doc.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »
I thought he was going to be The Riddler in the next Batman installment.  Confirm/Deny.

Anyway, that sucks.  I liked him as the Doc.

David Tennent as the Riddler: "Now my good man. What helps some men see, but makes others blind?"

Gravely voice Batman: "Hruhhgh auughghhs rand harumpth"

David Tennent as the Riddler: "What? What! What?!

(If you know the series, the last line works better)

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Nighthavok

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »
asd;flkjasd;fkja;sdkfa is that for real?!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:43:34 PM by Doombot »
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Nighthavok

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:10 AM »
A few ideas that the Nolan boys were tossing around was that The Riddler worked as a code breaker for a branch of the NSA in Gotham City.

I love that idea.  And that poster has me sold. :( 

Tennant for Riddler in '10.

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:24:35 AM »
DT was the best Doctor since Tom Baker.

I seem to recall reading that Tom Baker hailed DT as the best Doctor ever.  (and he was right)

Having said that, I was incredibly impressed with Eccleston when he revived the series.  I thought, "Yay! Dr Who is back!" quickly followed by, "this guy is fantastic!", then Tennant just blew him away.  Maybe the next doctor will do the same to Tennant.

Yeah... I know, not very likely, but hope springs eternal.

I hope that the next Dr at least does the series credit.  The writing lately has been superlative and there's still a lot of story threads hanging loose so it would be a shame for a poor casting choice to let the show down at this point.

Yes, I'm still waiting (speculatively) for the return of the time lords, Gallifrey and Romana.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
DT was the best Doctor since Tom Baker.

I seem to recall reading that Tom Baker hailed DT as the best Doctor ever.  (and he was right)

Having said that, I was incredibly impressed with Eccleston when he revived the series.  I thought, "Yay! Dr Who is back!" quickly followed by, "this guy is fantastic!", then Tennant just blew him away.  Maybe the next doctor will do the same to Tennant.

Yeah... I know, not very likely, but hope springs eternal.

I hope that the next Dr at least does the series credit.  The writing lately has been superlative and there's still a lot of story threads hanging loose so it would be a shame for a poor casting choice to let the show down at this point.

Yes, I'm still waiting (speculatively) for the return of the time lords, Gallifrey and Romana.

As sad as I am... I remember each decision just got better.

NO! Don't leave Rose!

Hey... this Martha's pretty good!

NO! Don't leave Martha! Don't replace her with the screaming harpy!

Hey... Donna got better! She's good.

No! Come back 9th doctor!

Hey... David Tennant's very good!

NO! Torchwood is boring...

Hey! It's getting better!

Right now I'm in that Sarah Jane Chronicles is boring me to tears so I hope the "Hey! It's getting better" effect holds true for that and the 11th doctor.

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 02:00:29 AM »
Uh-oh...

I just heard (unconfirmed rumour) that head writer, Russell T Davies is leaving too!  This could be a significant problem.  We all remember what happened to West Wing when Aaron Sorkin left.
--Solwyn

--Gauntlet

--Doombot

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:18 AM »
Ooooohhhh.... It does, doesn't it?

I would suspect that this new guy is an impostor because of the following points:

1.  The Doctor has previously met himself in former incarnations and he always recognised himself.
2.  In the recent episodes with The Master, The Doctor recognised him immediately too, leading us to believe that identifying other Time Lords was an inherent ability of the race.
3.  The impostor was bragging about being a Time Lord.  Not something that The Doctor has ever done since the destruction of Gallifrey.

All speculation, of course, but that is my reasoning.
--Solwyn

--Gauntlet

--Doombot

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 06:06:23 AM »
Ooooohhhh.... It does, doesn't it?

I would suspect that this new guy is an impostor because of the following points:

1.  The Doctor has previously met himself in former incarnations and he always recognised himself.
2.  In the recent episodes with The Master, The Doctor recognised him immediately too, leading us to believe that identifying other Time Lords was an inherent ability of the race.
3.  The impostor was bragging about being a Time Lord.  Not something that The Doctor has ever done since the destruction of Gallifrey.

All speculation, of course, but that is my reasoning.

I'll go with... 60 percent likelihood that you're right.

30 percent that it's the Doctor from Pete's world (the alternate dimension where Rose stayed with the clone doctor).

The Cybermen in another promo look like the Pete's world Cybermen and that's why... also a good explanation of why they don't recognize each other.

10 percent change that it's something else.

Kama

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
Well, I'm rather bummed about Tennant leaving for purely selfish reasons since I look like the man.

It's been great fun at conventions when I wear my "Who-suit" and get flash-blinded. Heaven forbid
that they should be a Faux Dalek at the con, because I'll have to stand next to the thing and pose
for at least 30 minutes! *laughs*

I'm not giving up my suit, dammit! There are people out there that need a smile! 

I can tell you stories about my convention experiences, but that'll be left for another thread if folks
want it.  ;)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 03:52:56 AM »
I became bitter and resentful of the show when Billie Piper left.  Plus, most people look at me like I'm comic book guy if I say I like Doctor Who, because they just know Tom Baker 70s "Makes old Star Trek look good" Doctor Who.

Not to nitpick, but I thought that the good Doctor could only regenerate 9 times.  Isn't this his ninth incarnation?
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 06:06:47 AM »
I became bitter and resentful of the show when Billie Piper left.  Plus, most people look at me like I'm comic book guy if I say I like Doctor Who, because they just know Tom Baker 70s "Makes old Star Trek look good" Doctor Who.

Not to nitpick, but I thought that the good Doctor could only regenerate 9 times.  Isn't this his ninth incarnation?

Ahem... flexes...

Timelords have the ability to regenerate 12 times. However it's debated that the ability is inherent to Time Lords, a by product of their technology or a combination of the two.

There is the option to regenerate more than 12 times. The Master was offered additional regenerations in The Five Doctors but with the destruction of Gallifrey... the ability is up in the air. Either the ability no longer exists (to go past 12) or the restrictions are removed (since there's nobody to prevent additional regenerations). Something will happen to allow additional regenerations. The BBC isn't going to let their cash cow die.

Look at me go with this Doctor Who knowledge... I feel so British! =D