Author Topic: Things that scared you as kids but seem laughable now.  (Read 7334 times)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
Re: Things that scared you as kids but seem laughable now.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »
Knowing what Doctor Who fan Doomsie is, she's probably thinking of the Krynoids from the episode The Seeds of Doom. (heh)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:07:23 AM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »

Now, if I can only find that book/movie about a meteorite landing on earth and turning people into plants (complete with roots for feet) my childhood fears will leaf me.

Are you thinking of Creepshow?

The story with a person turning into a plant starts about 1 minute in at the link.

NSFW language

While Creepshow is very similar... it's not that bit with Steven King.

More people were affected by the meteorite and I remember someone seeing their mother in the kitchen with leaves around her body. She may have been trying to get water from the sink.

I think even the military was involved and at the end a cure was discovered and the scientists were going to announce it over the radio and then more meteorites landed and the radio went dead. Maybe blinking lights in the sky were involved.

Not sure about the last part though.

Hrmph, didn't we already have this discussion once?  :P  http://www.unwashed.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1588.msg14923#msg14923  (there's a link in that post to a list of sci-fi plants, maybe that has your plant monster on it!

We did but it's still twigging me out since I haven't been able to root out the movie/show/book.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »
Knowing what Doctor Who fan Doomsie is, she's probably thinking of the Krynoids from the episode The Seeds of Doom. (heh)

Very nice try but the Doctor wasn't in it.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 12:25:30 AM »
We did but it's still twigging me out since I haven't been able to root out the movie/show/book.

Hrm, you think maybe you're merging memories of different movies/books together?  From your description it sounds a bit like Day of the Triffids, as mentioned previously, but, aside from the plant aspect, it also sounds a bit like Invaders from Mars, and It Came From Outer Space, and... but I can't see to find anything that has the people being turned into plants...mindless zombies, food sources, pod peoples, but not plants!  Hrm, you've stumped us, Doomsie!  Here, have a toaster.  ;)

You said this was a book?  Novel, story book, short story, comic book?  Maybe it was an episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:46:29 AM by Silver Dragon »
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!