Author Topic: More Classics stuff  (Read 10250 times)

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: More Classics stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 03:16:27 PM »
But my favorite authors use them. Including JRR Tolkien.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 01:27:24 AM »
so remember that paper that i was writing....

it's posted here if anyone wanted to read it. i'll probably be posting most of my stuff on that site from now on for the two or three of you that actually read it.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 02:26:32 AM »
Sweet I got cited.

Now I can make up outlandish credentials and demand that irrelevant places take them on faith.

"You will give me this taco gratis, because I am quoted in a scholarly paper... that's now online! It's about Harry Potter!"

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 02:53:02 AM »
can i take that as an invitation to use you more often?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 03:52:30 AM »
AcdQueen89 is now banned for not citing me.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 04:15:28 AM »
i love you too.

i go home next week, should i buy you a pint?

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
One slight nitpick with your article.

Quote from:  Harry Potter: Doomed to be a Classic?
In a 2001 article listing reprinted children’s classics the Harry Potter series is listed along with L. Frank Baum’s The Wizard of Oz and J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit (Merina). The Wizard of Oz is a loveable story that many remember from childhood in the form of a bright colorful movie starring Judy Garland. The Hobbit, however, is not as easy of a read and though there have been several film adaptations, the book does not seem one to easily capture a child’s attention.

There's only been one film adaptation of The Hobbit (not including the 2010 prequel release http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/) which I'm aware of, that being the 1977 animated film by Rankin/Bass Productions. The other films were adaptations of other books, not The Hobbit, you lump everything together there as The Hobbit.  Other than that, not too shabby (though its 4am so I didn't quite read all of it.  Well, that and The Wizard of Oz movie was black & white first!  :P )
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
I doubt anyone would consider Harry Potter a literary classic. But it greatly depends on who defines the word 'classic' and who defines which books fulfill the criteria. I might even take it is as far as to saying: "who cares?". A 'classic' is wholly an arbitrary thing. Some will certainly perceive Harry Potter a classic; others will not. How do you objectively determine who is right? That group which has the most members?

I belong to the latter group. The Harry Potter series is a great series because it reaches the imaginations of both adult and child, but in it's quest to do so, it takes the safest possible path. Harry Potter is mainstream, and not in any way provocative (ignored the few ultra right-wing Christians, who think it promotes witchcraft) or groundbreaking. Therefore it deserves the popularity it has received, but not a spot on the shelf alongside Ulysses, War and Peace, 1984 - or even the Lord of Rings for that matter.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »
The Harry Potter series is a great series because it reaches the imaginations of both adult and child, but in it's quest to do so, it takes the safest possible path. Harry Potter is mainstream, and not in any way provocative (ignored the few ultra right-wing Christians, who think it promotes witchcraft) or groundbreaking. Therefore it deserves the popularity it has received, but not a spot on the shelf alongside Ulysses, War and Peace, 1984 - or even the Lord of Rings for that matter.

if you had said that four months ago.....

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
i love you too.

i go home next week, should i buy you a pint?

I'd be tempted to take you up on the offer, but things are a bit hectic in my life right now. I'm working on getting the upstairs of my house all organized so I can start painting.

Besides, you're not 21 yet, and what bar in Chicago area do they let underagers in anymore?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:05:10 PM by Hoopy Frood »
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 08:57:22 PM »
last i heard i could have gotten into a bar a year ago and as long as i didnt get anyting alcoholic i would be fine.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »
can i take that as an invitation to use you more often?

Whenever you like. In or out of context. It makes my life more interesting when people inevitably call me on thing I said while either drunk or high on my own sense of self-satisfaction.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »
i have another paper due friday, wanna give me a quote?

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »
Sure, what's the paper about? Or am I just going blind this time? If so, "Pants are over-rated. Ask the trolley, he knows. But seriously, who wants cheddar?"

If not, shoot me some info and I'll shoot you some quotage.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:12 PM »
the statement i am replying to is as such: some feminist theory defines women (and their writing) as fluid, multiple, elusive, obscure. is this confirmed or denied by what you have read? is this a creative or demeaning image?

(irish lit class)

edit:
if any one has a comment please feel free to share.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:01:07 PM by AcdQueen89 »