Author Topic: Thoughts on the end of Bethesda's Forums  (Read 3927 times)

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the end of Bethesda's Forums
« on: August 20, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »
So I'm not sure if many of you have followed/heard that Bethesda is planning on sunsetting their forums and in favor of using Discord instead.
Their full comment on the situation: https://bethesda.net/en/article/3nf1F08LHgUEmSt7EqA9ru/bethesda-net-forums-to-be-sunset

I recognize the somewhat sunsetting of forums in general and the prominence of things like Reddit as an alternative, I don't think I could ever see Discord as a replacement for a forum. I see forums as a good place to make a topic and hopefully have lots of dedicated input from different people (poor Empty threads), but compared to the chatroom setting of Discord, it does not seem intuitive in highlighting important subjects relevant to the community unless it's constantly spammed which may result in people just muting the community and disengaging. Many say that this is Bethesda's way of ignoring feedback but who really knows, I guess it may be cheaper to just have a discord server for people to complain about their buggy ass games.

It may be the nostalgic goggles of a time when forums were hot stuff, but I was wondering what do you think? Especially for a company still operating and producing games.
But it'll help

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
Re: Thoughts on the end of Bethesda's Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »
Truth be told, I find it hilarious.

I have nothing against the Bethesda forums but they were more or less used as justification for my friends and I getting kicked off of Tes Wiki, back in the day. The delusional admins at the time said that the Bethesda Forums were laughing at the wiki and disliked it, because of us. Not because UESP rendered it redundant, ten years before it even existed or because it changes admins every year or the fact that most of the articles were empty at the time and even their best stuff didn't hold a candle to uesp.

No, it was PURELY because they had a roleplay segment on their board and the Beth forums were laughing at them over it or looking down on them or something.

Less than ten years later, the bethesda forums get shitcanned and my friends and I have great communities from our exile. Meanwhile, Tes wiki lost a big chunk of its userbase and spent years getting most of it back, going almost completely dead at one point and having several years of a revolving door for Admins and Mods.

As for the dying out of forums, I find it to be quite sad. I miss the days when this place was a bit more active (which is funny, because those days were considered a 'dry spell.')

I suppose we value quick communication a lot more now. Which isn't the worst thing but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the end of Bethesda's Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 07:21:44 AM »
Discord can work fine as forum software if the features are set up correctly.

The Straight Dope message boards use Discord and have been for many months now.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!