Author Topic: Outer Worlds: Crushes (recent) Fallout and Mass Effect with one giant leap.  (Read 5322 times)

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!

"Hey... Wanna be in my Gang?"

For anyone umming and erring over this game, I'd highly recommend it.

It's so amazingly written, particularly in its satirical anti corporate themes, it has some truly endearing characters and it has a setting that I've fallen in love with almost as quickly as I did Fallout's.

On top of that, it's a legitimately good RPG, full of innovations (such as the slow time mechanic, natural and fluent companion dialogue, a perk and stat system that is all useful and can shape you into whatever kind of character you want) and a combat system that feels a lot like Bethesda's system but perfected.

In fact, that's how I'd describe Outer Worlds as a whole, like a perfected Bethesda game. It has a similar feel, in a lot of aspects, to Fallout: New Vegas but it's much better optimized and just better made all around.

Love it!  :-*

The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Not surprised it's good.

Outer Worlds is Obisidian. Obsidian are an offshoot of Interplay (Black Isle Studios division). The people who founded it are the same ones who made Fallout 1, and while they left before Fallout 2 was finished, worked on the team that did FO2 for about 90% of the production (some of those on the team for FO2 that stayed on with Interplay through the release would later join Obsidian when Interplay folded).

They also were the studio that made Fallout:  New Vegas, having licensed the FO3 engine. And FO:  NV is considered the best of the modern Fallouts.

Obsidian really is one of the best gaming companies out there.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
Not surprised it's good.

Outer Worlds is Obisidian. Obsidian are an offshoot of Interplay (Black Isle Studios division). The people who founded it are the same ones who made Fallout 1, and while they left before Fallout 2 was finished, worked on the team that did FO2 for about 90% of the production (some of those on the team for FO2 that stayed on with Interplay through the release would later join Obsidian when Interplay folded).

They also were the studio that made Fallout:  New Vegas, having licensed the FO3 engine. And FO:  NV is considered the best of the modern Fallouts.

Obsidian really is one of the best gaming companies out there.

Oh, I know. it's a shame that Bethesda didn't let them make the game that they wanted, with Fallout New Vegas but I imagine that monstrous supe world being impossible for the engine to run in a stable way.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Thats good, I've heard good things and some bad (but mostly good!) things about this game.

I know Fallout: New Vegas is considered the best modern Fallout, an opinion which I don't necessarily share since it had a lot of the same jank as FO3.

After the absolute disaster that has been FO:76, the recent subpar classic Doom console ports, and Elder Scrolls: Blades,  I don't have a lot of confidence in Bethesda anymore. I'm "cautiously optimistic" about Elder Scrolls VI.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
I do like The Outer Worlds and I was hoping to have this discussion with some of the people who have also played it, but I can't shake the feeling that maybe a lot of the high praise it is receiving is more of a reaction to the state of RPG videogames since the lightening of their content that probably started with Skyrim in 2011.

I make this controversial statement now, but I believe that now the hype and glamor of the game's release is over, if it were to have released during the golden age of RPGs or in close proximity to another highly regarded RPG (I think the Witcher 3 is the most recent) it would not be seen as good as some people are saying it is. The game is ultimately FINE, and for some people that's good enough, which is also FINE. I also think a lot of the Praise stems from the shit canning the Fallout series has been getting recently thanks to a certain Game studio who has lost their way. That can be seen in the game's marketing when they say the whole "From the Creators of Fallout", which when you look at who from the OG Fallout team are working on it, I don't get too excited because my favorite Fallout devs and writers didn't work on the game (Chris Avellone comes to mind, others like Josh Sawyer and Brian Fargo as well). I say these names because I imagine Game development should kind of be like movies, with you seeing the people actually making the product to get a good idea of how it's going to be, especially in terms of game writing and direction. I don't mean to shit on Leonard Boyarsky or Tim Cain, I just know the others better and their previous work that if I saw their names attached to the project, I would be more interested.   

I wanted to go into spoilers and stuff about the game that kind of jive with what I'm saying, but I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone and I think it's still worth playing, I just want to insert a counterpoint to the immense praise it is getting for a game that really is ultimately a FINE game.

I can do a short list of vague good and not good things I found though:

Good: Characters (Parvati, Welles, the other Companions, and so on), Gun mechanics (Basic but works), Quests (Except bits of the main quest), the game's setting and world building to an extent (would go deep into spoilers, but it winds up being fairly basic), Leveling system is unique and understandable, Slo-Mo is neat, and the Flaws.

Not-Good: The main quest (really, this game, like a lot of RPGs, shines on it side quests), the game's setting when you see how black and white it really is, the factions, like the rest of the game, are usually black and white as well, and WHY CAN'T I TAKE OFF THE HATS OF MY COMPANIONS WHAT THE SHIT. I'm missing stuff obviously, but that's all I got RN. Might add more if I think of any.

Anyway, this game is fine, you should play it, have fun, but remember if it can get a sequel to make everything better, then we will really be cooking with propane.
But it'll help

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
The game I'm most excited about getting is Disco Elysium.

Granted, I'm waiting for it to come down in price.

I don't spend more than $20 on a game these days. Mainly because I have so many games in my various libraries that I will never have time to play them all anyway.

Heck, usually I won't spring for a game until it's $15 or less, and that's only for the really good games.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!