Author Topic: This place is a wasteland...  (Read 9008 times)

Gargantua

• Tangerine Target
  • Tyranny, Terror, and Lawless Violence
    • View Profile
    • Khanscentral
This place is a wasteland...
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »
I have not forgotten the days of joy and the posts of many that once frequented these halls.

I wish you all well and hope excitement is soon injected into this ancient community once again.

Along that vein... Does the unwashed village have an official leader or membership? I mean - who pays the bills around here??

Ruining your fallout experience since 2000

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: This place is a wasteland...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:13 AM »
Chucara hosts the site as an offshoot of his personal page (or something like that)
HoopyFrood does most of the actual mod stuff (not that we have much need for that right now)

I'm not sure who still checks regularly enough to count anymore
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:50 AM »
I check in regularly.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »
We're just kind of..here.

As old as the community is, we're just not active like we were in our prime when the internet was still more or less in it's infancy and forums were more the focus of online groups. I keep up with a few other UVers on other sites as well, but other than maybe one or two posts a year (if that,) I haven't really been active since before F03 came out.

/pokes you with a stick and pelts you with a Tangerine

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »
Still lurking

Quality posts start with you

Thanks for stopping by

:insert bungie cord joke:
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
If we had a leader we'd have forgotten who it was already, well within five minutes of deciding  who said leader was.

Family, work and life generally tends to make the bungee cord excessively slack but it does still exert a bit of a pull; we get a good number of old members popping in every so often but there isn't really enough activity to keep people here. The UV is on my list of sites I check every few days but I can go weeks.

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »
Along that vein... Does the unwashed village have an official leader or membership? I mean - who pays the bills around here??

We are anarcho-syndicalist commune - we elect leaders from within the community every time a non-government, non-coorporation buys a barge.

I pay for the hosting. It's part of an elaborate money laundering / pyramid scheme. For legal reason, you are now officially the owner and CEO of several companies headquartered in Uruguay.

Other than that, I upgrade this board every time we are attacked by spambots and/or during the small windows of time during the hunting season when I'm not drunk or participating in high-stakes spelling bees in Venezuela.

I check the forum regularly, but as you may have noticed, there is not much activity. Pure nostalgia compels me to keep it alive. It's been nearly 18 years since I joined, and I have a lot of treasured memories.

I still have a dream of reviving the community some day. My best plan so far has been to lure people in with bees.

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:47:05 AM »
We should appoint a leader, someone to blame when things inevitably go tits up.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 05:37:55 AM »
We should appoint a leader, someone to blame when things inevitably go tits up.

Since I'm the admin with the longest tenure, I guess it falls to me...to appoint Blue Cross for the job.

If for any reason he is unable to fulfill his duty as scapegoat, Swash will be the backup. Never mind the fact that Swash last posted four years ago.

(I could rescind Swash's admin privileges, but that would involve work. Less actual work than making this post did, admittedly, but it would be useful work, which instantly means I should't do it. Because if I actually do something useful it'll raise people's expectations and then I'll feel compelled to meet and or exceed them which will just make them expect even more and the cycle will never stop. And eventually people will be disappointed by my not living up to those expectations. So I do nothing because I care about all of your mental well being.)

Pipboy 2000 would have my back on this if he were around.

(I think this post has now covered all admins that haven't posted in the thread. Solwyn's just staff, so his only mention is this footnote.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:47:53 AM by Hoopy Frood »
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »
We need a Caesar to cross the irradiated Rubicon and  hoard all the tangerines and get support for their leadership. Who needs qualifications these days?

He who controls the tangerines controls the village? Bastardized Dune quote?
But it'll help

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »
We need a Caesar to cross the irradiated Rubicon and  hoard all the tangerines and get support for their leadership. Who needs qualifications these days?

I think you mean booze, he who controls the booze controls the village. :P
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »

I think you mean booze, he who controls the booze controls the village. :P

Booze is good and powerfule
But it'll help

TheVaultDweller

• Tangerine Target
  • Pelt me with tangerines until I change this text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 09:29:38 PM »
So if the forums were just upgraded, does this make this place Wasteland 2?  ;)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 04:50:39 AM »
We decided to skip 2 and go straight to Wasteland 3