Author Topic: Faveorite movies  (Read 2987 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Faveorite movies
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
I don't watch many movies, but after seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey about a year ago, I really want to buy it and see it again. Everything about it blew my mind, especially considering it was made in the 70s. I want to see more masterpiece films.

So rather than just looking up "greatest films of all time", I thought I would ask you all. What are some of your favorite movies and why? They don't have to be dramatic or critically acclaimed films, but what movies do you consider to be great for some reason?
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: Faveorite movies
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:24:01 AM »
I don't watch many movies, but after seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey about a year ago, I really want to buy it and see it again. Everything about it blew my mind, especially considering it was made in the 70s.

Actually it was made in the 60's. It was released 1968. As far as favorite movies, there are many I like for various reasons and it would make for a long post I don't have time to make at this moment.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Faveorite movies
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »
"Arsenic and Old Lace" partly because Cary Grant (and I'd probably recomend almost anything Cary Grant). I just find it to be a wonderful farce with layers that would be interesting to have seen in the original stage production. I'd especially recomend it if you see it on TCM, the host adding trivia bits was facinating for me

If you hadnt seen anything Monty Python I'd recomend "And Now for something Completely Different." To me it captures most of the best parts of Monty Python, the irreverency of the tv show but in feature film format. (Though I'm sure that you've seen Monty Python before and dont need to be introduced. I'm trying to find time to watch "Anatomy of a Liat" on Netflix, the animated biography of Grahm Chapman, which I'll add to the recomendation list just because I want to see it)

"The Book of Life" pseudo explains Dia de Los Muertes in the thin guise of the gods playing with a human love triangle. It's bright and colorful with enough of the "formula" without overdoing it.

"The Diary of a Doctor as a Young Man" only half the series is on Netflix (6 episodes). This got me seeing Daniel Radcliff as more than Harry Potter, he's actually a decent actor. Basic plot: during theRussian Revolution a doctor is under investigation for forging scripts for morphine. While his office is being searched he reflects and interacts with his past self from his first posting as the doctor in 'hicksville'
In case of rapture, can I have your car?