Author Topic: What games have you been playing latly?  (Read 44240 times)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What games have you been playing latly?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 10:26:08 PM »
Been playing Cities: Skylines, Evolve and Shadow of Mordor. All 3 are good games in their own way. Just barely got my feet wet on Evolve though.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 05:18:42 AM »
After finishing Wasteland 2 I went on to Pillars of Eternity. After that I picked up Planescape:  Torment and decided to continue the game I started a few years ago and then got distracted from (plus, I'm a backer on the Numenera Torment game by inXile so I kind of want to finish off PS.)

I've also been alternating PS:  T with Dex (which was short and I finished) and Shadowrun Returns which I picked up for cheap during the Steam Summer sale.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
I started playing Fallout Shelter but it keeps crashing (ipad2 that's slowly on its march to death)

I've been on this board for nearly ten years and it's the first fallout game I've played.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
I tried GTA Online and I hated every minute of it.

I had high hopes for it, because Red Dead Redemption's online was so good, from what I'd heard, this was a much larger scale of that. Sadly and ironically enough, it's inferior in almost every way.

The game starts you off by dumping you in the free play mode, which is just a free for all, where everyone just kills one another on sight. This might sound obvious to some people but Red Dead had a freeplay mode with no friendly fire, for those of us who don't find the prospect of being repeatedly gunned down by people in fast cars, with UZIs very appealing. Sadly, GTA doesn't have this and instead just insists on putting everyone in one sandbox and telling them to get along.

If a person guns me down, I don't feel any desire to take revenge or beat them, because I know that I'm under equipped. Being a lower level, I can't get an Uzi of my own, all that I have access to is a semi-automatic pistol and a pump action shotgun and if I'm remotely visible to these players, even for a second, I'm dead. Yeah Rockstar, that's really fare.

I just felt so apathetic, it should annoy me or inspire me to be a better player but it feels more like a practical joke than anything. I decided to try and do something with a damn purpose and connect to the heists and quickly learned that the shittiness didn't end at the freeplay mode.

The game can take ages to connect and a lot of the times I was kicked for being too low a level, because apparently everyone who's a level 2 is a drooling moron, who can't do anything. And that's even if you can achieve a connection, more often than not I was told that the game was full and that I could join a queue or watch someone else have fun instead.

What is this, an amusement park? Remember when owning games at home meant that you didn't have to sit back and miss out and watch your friends play all of the games? I'm glad that we got over that obsolete school of thought.

Anyway, I attempted several heists, the majority of which are full of team members who are eleven years old or speak Spanish and have very loud domestic disputes, again another thing that you don't get whilst playing singleplayer.

I did manage to join a semi decent group of people and quickly realised a fatal flaw of the heists, if one person dies the whole mission fails. Yeah, because that worked so well in Battletoads and this is an online game, relying on four people around the world to not screw it up.

Every heist that I've been a part of has failed and only twice was I the one that died and one of those times was, because my team took their sweet time completing their objective, whilst I was chased around by fighter jets in a tiny propeller plane.

In Red Dead the consequence of someone dying on your team was that that person died on your team and that therefore you'd be a man down, I think that's a damning consequence on its own but apparently it didn't make it frustrating enough so they went with this instead.

The most annoying heist was the aforementioned plane one, this was the closest that I got to finishing a job. After someone, other than me, realised that we should use our headsets to communicate instead of sharing samples of Spanish soap operas with one another, we got really far in the heist but these missions go on and on and on, for friggin' ever. Bare in mind that there is nothing resembling a pause function, so including lobbies, cutscenes, dicking about, contingency plans for inevitable failures, you're going to have to give up an hour of your life to these missions if you want to complete one.

Now, how many people can honestly say that they can go an hour without phone calls interrupting them, without someone asking them to do a job, without friends messaging them or something even more important like needing to go to work or even going to take a piss? Nope, sorry, no time for that, you're playing GTA Online now, better record an answering machine message on your phone that says 'sorry yo but my video game doesn't want me to come to the phone right now, I'll call you back when I find a moment in its schedule.'

Since when did video games start dictating how I lived my life, this is such horse shit.

So anyway, my dad cooked my family a meal and I held off for as long as I could, a good five minutes but this shit just goes on and on and on and on, to the point that it's absurd. I'd rescued the hostage, got him on a plane and he was half way to Jamaica but that wasn't enough, I had to jump out of the plane, whip out a parachute and land a parachute jump to complete the heist.

Because I was not expecting this and had all but forgotten the parachuting controls since I played the game, last Christmas, I just didn't know what to do. There was so much pressure on this one moment, that I failed, pulled the cord too soon and crashed into a cliff face and died. Heist failed.

Are you kidding me!? The hostage was on the plane! He was half way to Zimbabwe! What the hell happened!? Are we all connected with some sort of device, that makes it so that if I die the hostage goes into cardiac arrest, like Escape to New York. Why does it matter if I fail to land a parachute jump after completing a heist?

This game completely crosses my bullshit threshold, it made me incredibly bitter and angry and it only exists to try and get you addicted to it, so that you'll be forced into positions where you'll have to disappoint people, defecate your pants and lose your job and relationships in order to make any significant progress in it. All of these problems are problems that were in NES games, one dies we all die was a problem with Battletoads, no pause was a problem with Ghostbusters 2 but the difference is that GTA Online was not made in 1993.

If you have no job, no friends, no family, you live alone and you haven't got anything to 'distract' you from the game for hours on end, then GTA Online is the game for you, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 04:40:51 AM »
I haven't had much time to play anything lately.
I did buy Pokemon Yellow after it was released for 3Ds.
The first generation (gen 1) of the series is amazingly simple, yet engaging. (yellow is the definitive game over red and blue)

I played a lot of Terraria for a few months, but I've gotten bored with it after I got the rocket boots and could fly to the islands in the sky. Comparing it to Minecraft isn't really fair because, although they have some core similarities, they are very different games.

Does anyone have a Xbox One or Ps4? How do you like it?
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
I like my PS4, but its factory hard drive is criminally inefficient with new AAA games. I own a third of the games on my PS4 compared to my 360 and I've already run out of space.
But it'll help

Fiddles

• Tangerine Target
  • My favorite color is banana.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 03:45:59 AM »
I've been playing Fallout 2 but it has been kinda difficult to focus on it since I got Battlefield 4. I think its a really good game when it works. Also I got this free game called Lords of the Fallen and its really similar to Dark Souls. Also i'm getting my Xbox One ready for Cuphead and Doom. I'm so excited for both :D.
Fiddles, the realest of the real.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 06:40:28 AM »
I've been playing Undertale and Thief Gold.

And I'm really looking forward to the new Torment game coming soon.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
I got a bit into Torment, but I didn't make it that far. I'll need reinstall it
But it'll help

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 05:35:25 AM »
Info on the new game is here:  https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

It's not Planescape like the first one. The world of Numenara was created by Monte Cook (one of the creators of D&D 3.0/3.5). Cook also is consulting on the game. A number of the people involved in the first Torment are also involved in this one.

verdipit

• Tangerine Target
  • Tangerines are yummy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
I've been playing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, and some modded Skyrim.  I also unearthed my GameBoy so there are a few games I've been playing on that (mainly Pokemon Blue Version).

Huzzah for throwbacks!

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
Yay for me!

Wait! Throwbacks? There's more than one? Is this how Bluecross feels during the Debenham sales?

I'm confused, not hungry though. I have pizza! No beer either, not even wine :'(

On topic; I've mostly been playing 'mock the 30+ year old underling that goes out playing Pokemon at lunch time." That and playing Star Trek: timelines and some crystal popping game on my iPhone.

My house is made of only slightly toughened glass but I feel like I occupy the moral high ground.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:03:27 PM by TK »

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
Re: What games have you been playing lately?
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 12:47:22 AM »
I've been plowing through the Fable series, I've mostly been playing 1 and 3 and I've just started 2. So far the first one is the best, since it feels the most like an RPG. Though I can't say that I'm getting too involved with the relationships and family side of the games to be honest, I've gotten married and have a home but in Fable 1 it's completely pointless since you can't have children and in 3 you can have children but all they do is whine and ask you for shit.

It's kind of difficult to care about any of the NPCs, since they all look, sound and act the same. It's like caring about one particular ant in an ant hill, you know for a fact that if you dropped it you'd forget which one was your favorite.

I enjoyed both games in different ways, though Fable 3 is criminally easy, I do like the different perspectives they offer and the moral dilemas. They're okay to a degree, though I feel like 'evil' is done horribly wrong. Most of the time good and evil offer the same reward and unless you're dead set on being a dick, you may as well pick the good option. The evil option should be more appealing, because it's more convenient or offers a better reward. For example, in Fallout 3, I was faced with the option of running across DC to find a pot of ink, so that an insane robot who thought that he was George Washington could write the declaration of independence with it or I could shoot him in the face and just walk past him. Obviously this is somewhat of a dilemma, since doing the noble thing is horrendously inconvenient and you'd be doing it for a robot who thinks that he's someone who's been dead for hundreds of years, whereas murdering him is wrong in many ways. It creates an inner conflict with the player and I don't think Fable does this or at least it doesn't do this  enough. In fact Evil's incentives are always pathetic, like 'if you do the evil thing, you don't have to walk as far' or 'if you murder your friend, you get a special prize...' and it just makes me roll my eyes at how pathetic their incentives are. I thought that evil was supposed to be more aluring than this!

Anyway, apart from that and dozens of other problems, I quite like the fable games. You can get the first one on steam, though it's really finicky with Windows 10, it still works and you can get them all on 360. I wouldn't recommend getting Fable 3 on PC, because apparently that doesn't work at all anymore.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 02:46:39 AM »
I had been wanting to to play the Secret of Monkey Island games for roughly a decade but there were 2 problems: 1. They were very difficult to find illegally, and expensive legally because the series is from the early-mid 90s 2. The first 2 were designed for DOS so they have to be emulated on modern computers

Luckily, they recently remastered the first 2 for xbox 360 and released them for free (only) last month so I have been playing those. These games are hilarious!  :laugh:
"Sword fighting is like sex; Its not what you do its what you say." - The Sword Trainer

Also been playing through Kingdom Rush, a tower defense game series for mobile
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 01:34:03 AM »
I've been going old school and playing Half Life:  Opposing Force and Half Life:  Blue Shift.

Maybe because I want to play some short-ish games while I'm waiting for Torment which will be released by the end of the month.