Author Topic: twitter or blog  (Read 3458 times)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
twitter or blog
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:42:25 AM »
or both possibly?

i need a journaly thing to help me keep writing. for some reason handwriting isnt doing it for me anymore. does anyone swear by one or the other to help me decide?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: twitter or blog
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:05:12 AM »
Depends on what type of thing you wanna keep writing.
I made it a new year's resolution to at least tweet one clever remark a day.
Most of them are probably stupid and not funny, but at least I'm sticking to it.

The blog is a lot better for long-form exposition obviously, and now that nanowrimo is coming up I've been thinking more about that. 

Like I said, it's more about the type of writing you want to do than it is about the medium itself. Twitter is great for convenience but I think it's possibly damaging to your ability to be anything but concise. That being said, I've definitely learned to dumb down my vocabulary to fit my thoughts in that little box, and in all honestly I tend to be right at the max every time.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:47:01 PM by Solwyn »
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
   Neither. I use a good old fashioned Log in Notepad (thats right, Notepad), filled with typos, intoxicated ramblings, and virtually no organization system whatsoever. I write in it a few times a week. I Love it.

But then again, it depends on if you want other people to read it. Personally, an offline log just works for me because I can write whatever I want without considering what other people will think. Because 90% of my what I write is utter garbage anyway. (and obviously, I dont expect people to read it) So I guess its more like a journal.
   I think its the best thing to do for free form writing. Concentrate on the content, instead of how its delivered.

I can't stand twitter. I have never used twitter but I feel like anyone who uses it regularly is probably way too self absorbed.

Open notepad type .LOG on the first line, start typing on second line. Now it marks the time and date you open up the log automagically. Best tool for writing since papyrus.

;D

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:17:10 AM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:18:54 AM »

I can't stand twitter. I have never used twitter but I feel like anyone who uses it regularly is probably way too self absorbed.

I think it's more like being a crazy bag lady on the corner screaming at anyone within hearing distance.

I think having a log that you read to yourself is much more self-absorbed.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »

I think it's more like being a crazy bag lady on the corner screaming at anyone within hearing distance.

I think having a log that you read to yourself is much more self-absorbed.

Oh and that's coming from someone who has both, so no offense to either.

I'll admit twitter is stupid, it's a million people standing on a mountain screaming their heads off. But I think it's interesting because it brings up the fact that the new internet is not about having only the highest quality content, it's about having so much content that you can filter it and get the best out of it. So it's more about searching and filtering and culling the crap than it is about having a lot of high quality stuff.

That being said, I think that's the point. For my purpose (writing something clever/stupid once a day) it's perfect. It won't always be good. But people will share or retweet the good ones, and I get an idea of what's working and what's not. It's like a giant clinic of public opinion on a very granular scale.

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 02:15:04 AM »
I'll take a blog any day. Twittering limiting the number of characters just means that anyone with something important to say will be severely limited.