Author Topic: Requiem for a Fox  (Read 5412 times)

Kama

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
Requiem for a Fox
« on: September 22, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
It was the middle of the night, and Kama walked quietly through the village, much as he'd done in
the past.  A small breeze blew through his silver-white hair in a way that actors in movies had
tried for ages and failed.  He adjusted his dark green cloak against the sudden chill and brushed
a few stray strands of hair off his striking ebony features.

The night was his, since as an elf, he didn't require much sleep.  As to what type of elf, even Kama
wasn't sure anymore.  A dark elf pretending to be Grey? or a Grey pretending to be Dark?  He
just chose whatever form suited the situation now, as old predjudices had long since passed away.

He could still hear the sounds of shouting, attempts at music, and even a sermon if he listened
closely enough.  The Bastard Bar in full swing.  He smiled.

The shouting would be Night Owl, telling Blue Cross to shut the hell up, and that would account
for the sermon as well. The attempts at music would probably be Sylvin and Tink singing, with
others, in an attempt to drown out the shouting and the sermon.  It would end with Tink getting
frustrated and hitting BC over the head with a bottle (empty, of course).

Ah..There was the crash of broken glass, with the thud of a body hitting a wooden floor, followed
by an abrupt end to the sermon and gales of laughter.  Some things just don't change.
Kama smiled again, then frowned. Some things do.

He remembered when Turjan and Petrarch told him about Darkfox.  How he wasn't coming back,
ever.  Tears pooled in his eyes again as the grief and feeling of loss came back to him in a way
that only another being that has lived for millenia would understand. 

If any of his elders were around, they would chide him for getting "too attached" to these mortal
races.  Kama wiped his eyes and told the elders in his head to "shut the hell up", as the
humans and other "mortal races" would say.  Bunch of serene bastards..They're immortal,
like he, but they haven't LIVED.  They don't have FRIENDS.

"And we don't feel the pain of loss like a sword to the vitals when they pass away, either"

Kama cursed, and kicked a small stone out of his path.  They were right in that regard, but he
wouldn't trade the short time (in his opinion) spent amongst his friends for anything, pain and
grief be damned.

The small stone rolled into the rubbish bins that were almost mathematicaly aligned next to
Petrarch's small home.  Kama knew that this shed on the surface was only a ruse, and that
there was a huge complex underneath it, maybe even as big as a "Vault", like the legendary
"Vault 13".  He remebered with fondness how Darkfox would go and knock them over, spilling
burnt electronics, tea bags, citrous peels and other unidentifiable things everywhere.  The
little creature REVELED in chaos, and roared with laughter when Petrarch would come out in
the morning and shout "It's that Goddamned FOX again!  I swear, I'll skin him and use his tail
for a dustmop!".  He'd wait for the armoured one to cool down, and even help him right the
bins and clean up the mess, only to do it again the next night.  It was his nature, unchanging
and uncompromising.  Kama supposed that's why he had liked the little being so much.

Kama stood awhile in thought, and came to a decision. 

He walked over to Petrarch's bins, and with the style and grace only an elf has, tipped them
over with a loud CRASH of tin and broken bits of rubbish.  Mere seconds afterwards, the lights
snapped on in Petrarch's "Hut" and Kama heard the sound of heavy metal boots clanging on
a long ladder.  He quickly walked away.

"Some things don't need to change", Kama thought. "I'll never forget you, my little furry friend".
and with tears still in his eyes, Kama smiled.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Requiem for a Fox
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 10:54:18 PM »
Ah, a little tribute to our departed but never forgotten Fox. Cheers for posting that Kama. He is indeed sorely missed.

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:37:35 AM »
*sniffs*

Lovely story, Kama, and as Petrarch says, he's indeed a missed friend :'(

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »
Very nice indeed. Thank you, Kama.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:58:28 PM »
Took me three tries to read it over the last couple of days. (Because it's about Darkfox. Your writing is excellent)

Very nice. I do miss him. =/
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Carib

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Light Fighter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:02:19 PM »
 :bigcry: He will be surely missed.

Tink

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Coffee Wench
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:31:01 PM »
*sniffles* Thanks Kama, that was very nice. :)  We will never forget him.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationary.

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:20:35 PM »
=thumbs up=
Good job :)

I'm sure he'd have liked that :)
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Kama

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »
I just thought I bring this one back from the ether, as I've been thinking about Steve lately.

How wonderful that his nephew carries his name! Congratulations!

-Kama-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:23:42 AM by Kama »

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:22:28 AM »
I just thought I bring this one back from the ether, as I've been thinking about Steve lately.

How wonderful that his nephew carries his name! Congratulations!

-Kama-

Nice to see you again - where have you been?

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »
Very nice Kama

Thank you, DF would have loved it i think
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...