Author Topic: Its been a while.....  (Read 8178 times)

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Its been a while.....
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 02:20:01 AM »
*Peeks his head through the door*

Don't think about it, Don't dare try it.  Tequila is dangerous, the worms want us dead!  I've heard their whispers!
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 04:44:20 AM »
Tequila shouldn't have worms. If it does, take it back and get a refund.

Only mezcal con gusano should come with a worm.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »
Yes Yes technicalities.  Though the majority of the American populace has no idea what the difference between Mescal and Tequila is.  Besides, enough of either and i will damn well guarantee that you or anyone surrounding you will care less which one it is.  They'll most likely be asking you to put your pants on while you will become enraged at the very word pants.  It will become the most dire enemy you've ever had.

...Yea, no sleep means great babbling and horrible grammar.

Which makes me think of Frasier. How long do you suppose a human being can go without sleep without permanent damage to their psyche?  Come on Hoopy O' master of knowledge, this is important stuff.

And the thunder said,

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 03:56:29 AM »
Which makes me think of Frasier. How long do you suppose a human being can go without sleep without permanent damage to their psyche?  Come on Hoopy O' master of knowledge, this is important stuff.

No idea. Longest I ever went was 31 hours awake over 2 days with a 4 hour nap around hour 20. (So the entire experience was 35 hours long.) I was 21 at the time. I don't recommend it.

But that's nothing on what my girlfriend did this year during her last semester of law school (i.e. this past fall). She went 58 hours straight without any sleep. And she's 28. I don't recommend doing this either. Neither does she for that matter. (Actually, she doesn't recommend law school in general.)

It was amusing as she would spontaneously burst into song for no reason.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
Sleep deprivation can be entirely amusing. 

I do have to ask though, anything you remember she said about law school?

And the thunder said,

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
Sleep deprivation can be entirely amusing. 

I do have to ask though, anything you remember she said about law school?

She had a mantra she frequently repeated. It went something like this:

"I hate the world and everything in it!"

If you go to law school, expect to have no life. Expect to pay or borrow a shit-ton of money for 3 years. For the latter, expect to graduate $150,000 ($137,000 is average) in debt (including loans to live on while you take the bar/find a job). Then realize that the economy downswing hit the law profession particularly hard. State governments aren't hiring, neither for the most part are firms. In fact about 1.5 years ago, 1/3 of the lawyers working for firms in Chicago were laid off. And even if you can find a job, the whole lucrative pay thing is unlikely. The average public sector job (i.e. judicial clerkship, state's attorney office, etc.) will start you at $55,000. Yes, that's average. On the high end you might actually make $70,000 if you're lucky. Granted, you get great benefits and don't work much in excess of 40 hours a week like you would at a firm, but a firm pays more. However, the whole six-figure income at a firm thing is no longer appropriate. Expect a firm will maybe pay you $10,000-$20,000 above what the public sector pays, but also expect to work much longer hours than the public sector, so your per-hour salary isn't that much higher than public. And in order to get one of the few jobs, you have to work, for free, while you are in law school, and participate in honors teams (i.e. Moot Court, Mediation Team, etc.). Liz has worked both for the state's attorney office and has clerked for a Cook County judge, as well as participated in two honors teams. None of these pay. In fact, her current clerking externship (an externship is essentially an extended internship) is a guaranteed position once she passes the bar. But notice I said "current". She still won't be paid, but her judge will at least let her keep gaining experience. He'd like to hire her for real, but he's already got a full time clerk, and so he cannot pay Liz due to the fact that judges can only have one paid clerk under the current setup, and his paid clerk is doing a fine job, so it wouldn't be fair to the paid clerk to fire her in exchange for Liz.

Now, Liz does have some options. She has made it on the short lists (i.e. competing with 200 or so applicants at this point, when thousands of people apply) for clerking for the Illinois State Supreme court, the Supreme Court of the United States, and the International Court at The Hague.

But she worked her ass off in school, which is why she has these possibilities. She went into law because she is passionate about it. She enjoys it. She'll say that if you are going into law because you are interested in it, then do so. But if you are going into it for money or you think you will easily find a job, don't waste your time.

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I've been interested in it for years though its always been discouraged.  My dad's a lawyer and hes worked a few types of law and has always warned me against it.  The problem with that is i grew up with it and i enjoy it.  Right now im acting as a paralegal but i think i might want to go into criminal defense along with some other fields, decided not to think about it too much until lawschool

And the thunder said,