Author Topic: NaNoWriMo? Who's doing it this year?  (Read 4985 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
NaNoWriMo? Who's doing it this year?
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »
Funny how the year flashed by and I never did the second draft on last years story.

Anyway... who's doing it this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Novel_Writing_Month
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo? Who's doing it this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
Funny how the year flashed by and I never did the second draft on last years story.

Anyway... who's doing it this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Novel_Writing_Month

I'd probably whip something up if Dragon Age didn't have it's claws in me so deep, I'd probably get side tracked and never actually finish a story.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:23:26 AM »
i hope to. my school might be sponsoring some write-ins that might keep me on track for once.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »
Hmm. Actually, I might give it a try this time around. I propably would have been playing Civilization V, but now I'm just totally pissed off with it... I love it, but every game that I've played to later eras has crashed and burned so far. Even the saves get corrupted at times. Christ, that's annoying! Hmm... Maybe I should incorporate that to the story. Some kind of apocalypse scenario, perhaps?

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
I'd probably whip something up if Dragon Age didn't have it's claws in me so deep, I'd probably get side tracked and never actually finish a story.
Say, what did you think of the Deep Roads? About 90% of the people seem to hate that bit, but for some reason I quite enjoyed it. Real old-school dungeon crawling! :)

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 02:10:55 AM »
Say, what did you think of the Deep Roads? About 90% of the people seem to hate that bit, but for some reason I quite enjoyed it. Real old-school dungeon crawling! :)

I like it, honestly, I liked the entire game. A lot of people also don't like the Fade, but it's a nice change of pace I think. I really enjoyed that overall, the game lasted more then the scant 20 hours most games do, I think my first play through was 70 hours total, and I didn't do all the side quests. Trying to get my hands on Awakening and two of the DLC's so I'm ready when DA2 hits.

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 10:30:41 PM »
The only major complaint I have about it is the the way the downloadable content works. I seem to have gotten trapped into a situation where the only way I can access my stuff is running the game as an administrator. I mean, logging in as administrator doesn't work, and I actually managed to wipe out two completed games worth of saves on reinstall, when I did it from the administrator account, believing that it would solve the problem. And I didn't have any backups either. When I asked help from support, they linked me to a thread that wasn't.

Got to say, I prefer the way they handle the downloadable content with Mass Effect...

But I liked the Fade too. I wish the shapeshifter magic would have given you the option to approach stuff differently in the "real" world as well, because I never really used it for anything anywhere except the Fade.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:32:23 PM by Morb »

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »
The only major complaint I have about it is the the way the downloadable content works. I seem to have gotten trapped into a situation where the only way I can access my stuff is running the game as an administrator. I mean, logging in as administrator doesn't work, and I actually managed to wipe out two completed games worth of saves on reinstall, when I did it from the administrator account, believing that it would solve the problem. And I didn't have any backups either. When I asked help from support, they linked me to a thread that wasn't.

Got to say, I prefer the way they handle the downloadable content with Mass Effect...

But I liked the Fade too. I wish the shapeshifter magic would have given you the option to approach stuff differently in the "real" world as well, because I never really used it for anything anywhere except the Fade.

Yea, seems like they're on the right track with how they handle ME DLC, looks like their learning a good bit though since they started doing it (Liara's DLC was utterly superbly done.)

Shape shifting was alright, but it's main strength was allowing you an option of taking out casters quickly with overwhelm, like you get with Dog. Only thing I used it for at all on Morrigan, but usually just use dog for it and focus her more on pure damage.

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 02:26:07 AM »
In not doing NaNoWriMp this year, unless a 5 strip comic counts as a novel. But isnt it hilarious how this turned into a discussion about Civ V lol
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:33 AM »
Never really got around to writing the tale of the Apocalypse, but it seems that congrats are in order, Doomsie!

Granted that the conversation veered a little astray, but at that point it was so dead around here, that starting a new topic would have seemed desperate. :)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:29 AM »
in a class about novel writing. Feb got chosen for our month of writing. 3016 words in. one day and i'm doing better than almost all my previous years.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?