Author Topic: Networking help, router+modem issues.  (Read 2527 times)

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Networking help, router+modem issues.
« on: July 25, 2010, 04:59:02 AM »
Alright, so I'm not bad at understanding how to use computers and can generally fix most of the problems I run into, but good god my router and modem have been conspiring to drive me insane. Recently added a Netgear router to help fix a wireless connectivity problem on my bro's computer (I'm hard lined on my comp and I broadcast wireless for his 2 comps), and it's been hell keeping the dang thing online.  I accidentally unplugged the power on my CM100 router and it bout took 45 minutes to magically fix itself and finally let me connect to the internet even though the router and modem said everything was perfect.  Install went fine, plugged the router in and it went back online in a minute or two, added password and everything but once I knocked my comp offline by unplugging the modem power it wigged out.  I'm wondering if I'm having some sort of conflict I don't know how to deal with, and if anyone here happens to be able to help me.

How's everyone doing? I know I don't drop by often. lol

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
Re: Networking help, router+modem issues.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
Make sure that only one of the routers you have connected to your network is set to be a DHCP server and that the rest are either DHCP relays or have this feature turned off.  DHCP is usually on by default and doesn't typically turn off automatically and if you have a couple of routers trying to hand out IP addresses for the network things get a little messy.

I'm good working and enjoying being a dad and husband mostly. How are you?

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
Doing alright, looking for a job. Lost mine around xmas last year, but it hasn't been too bad. Been doing odd jobs for money, and I get to spend more time with my nephew.

Going to try out the fix in a minute, just got starcraft 2 and don't want to take my net down lol

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »
Another thing that may be causing your issue is if you have your router connected to your modem when you reboot both. My router will not find the modem correctly if they are connected at that point.

So make sure both are fully rebooted before connecting them to each other.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!