Author Topic: What Is The Deal With Strangers Making Small Talk?  (Read 13733 times)

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Is The Deal With Strangers Making Small Talk?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
there is so much wrong with this statement - I don't even know how to reply to it.  I am just glad that most of the people on this planet don't hold the same opinion as you, otherwise it would be a shitty place to live.  sometimes that fact that a fellow human being is just that...a fellow human being should be 'stake' enough for you to care.

What's worse? Doing something you hate for people you don't know and pretending that you don't hate it? Or being honest about it? I say, since it's a stranger I have no stake in, better to put myself first, and if I truly don't want to chat, (and I believe that most people would prefer to be left alone as well, but I'm basing this hypothesis on the fact that most of the people who hit me up for small talk have mental issues.), best to be honest about it.

Because they'd have to be insane to want to talk to you?

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »
Because they'd have to be insane to want to talk to you?

If they only knew... But seriously, when I say they have mental issues, I mean they usually tend to have a pretty obvious mental disability of one sort or another; a combined set of traits or tics that tells me this person is a wee bit left of center. They don't have to be rambling about the Gov't trying to kill us all with Swine Flu, but I certainly get my share of those. Basically, it seems a lot of the people who try to start chit chat on the bus ride the bus because they are unable to drive a car.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »
Man, if I have to ask other people about the social contract, maybe I do have some sort of antisocial personality disorder. I guess I just don't see the point in doing something I don't like, (i.e. pretending I want to chitchat with a complete stranger), when I have no stake in the situation, (I don't know the person, so what do I care if they're lonely.), and that it appears the rest of polite society goes along with even though they hate doing it just as much as I do.

Dude, I already told you that I don't go along with it at all.  If I don't want to talk somebody I ask them to leave me alone, and if they won't, I tell them to leave me alone, and then they do.  That almost never happens because I love talking to people, but still.  Grow some nuts.  Attend a 'Take back the night' rally or something, they'll tell you that no means no.  I talk to people 'cause I like talking to people, and people like talking to me, 'cause I'm a charming motherfucker.  It's a heavy burden, but I struggle on.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 12:29:45 AM »
Dude, I already told you that I don't go along with it at all.  If I don't want to talk somebody I ask them to leave me alone, and if they won't, I tell them to leave me alone, and then they do.  That almost never happens because I love talking to people, but still.  Grow some nuts.  Attend a 'Take back the night' rally or something, they'll tell you that no means no.  I talk to people 'cause I like talking to people, and people like talking to me, 'cause I'm a charming motherfucker.  It's a heavy burden, but I struggle on.

What's it like collapsing under the weight of one's own genius? (In retrospect, I realize this might come across as sarcastic. It's not.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:27:23 AM by Loveshack »

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »
Man, if I have to ask other people about the social contract, maybe I do have some sort of antisocial personality disorder. I guess I just don't see the point in doing something I don't like, (i.e. pretending I want to chitchat with a complete stranger), when I have no stake in the situation, (I don't know the person, so what do I care if they're lonely.), and that it appears the rest of polite society goes along with even though they hate doing it just as much as I do.

I've had some wonderful conversations on mass transit. I've also gotten more than a few free beers out of the bargain.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
I've had some wonderful conversations on mass transit. I've also gotten more than a few free beers out of the bargain.

Maybe it's just the area where I ride. I get a lot of people who like to party with Crystal. That sort of crowd.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
Man, whack jobs on the subway, I was on the El out in queens one morning and there was some black guy who was talking to himself, gesticulating wildly, and also shaving his head with a straight razor and no shaving cream or what or anything.  Talk to himself, flail around, draw razor over scalp, repeat.  That was some crazy shit!

If that guy had tried to talk to me I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to tell him to leave me alone.  I probably would have shit myself.  That's the only scary whackjob I remember seeing on any subway though, either in DC or New York!

I mean, whackjobs a-plenty, but you have to have that extra something to actually make go "Oh shit, please don't come over here".

I had a dude who came over and yelled a song into my face one time, complete with clapping rhythym accompaniment.  He was talented!  That dude was awesome.  I tried to give him five bucks, but my girlfriend of the time wouldn't let me take out my wallet.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:17:25 AM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Lidge Farkley

• Tangerine Target
  • Wait. Stop. Ok. Go ahead.
    • View Profile
    • Old Website from ages past...
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
Man, whack jobs on the subway, I was on the El out in queens one morning and there was some black guy who was talking to himself, gesticulating wildly, and also shaving his head with a straight razor and no shaving cream or what or anything.  Talk to himself, flail around, draw razor over scalp, repeat.  That was some crazy shit!

If that guy had tried to talk to me I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to tell him to leave me alone.  I probably would have shit myself.  That's the only scary whackjob I remember seeing on any subway though, either in DC or New York!

I mean, whackjobs a-plenty, but you have to have that extra something to actually make go "Oh shit, please don't come over here".

I had a dude who came over and yelled a song into my face one time, complete with clapping rhythym accompaniment.  He was talented!  That dude was awesome.  I tried to give him five bucks, but my girlfriend of the time wouldn't let me take out my wallet.

Ha ha ahha ahahaha!
This post made my day. :-)

I know what you mean all too well... living in Humboldt County, CA, affords one the unique encounter with a whack job at least once a month, if not once a week.  Most insane recent example; 2 months a go some insane lady cussed me out for a "lack of customer service" when she put her rolling papers in her purse and accused me of not giving them to her.  After 2 trips back to her car and checking twice, she found them in her purse, right where I said she put them.  (the first trip back she called me a "little faggot" for telling her they were in her purse when she claimed I had told her they were in her purse, then threatened to call the police) She then proceeded to cuss me out from the parking lot, at tho top of her lungs and claiming I was shit for customer service.

She came back this past Thursday and apologized, then went to a friends house and demanded to sit in their living room, despite no one there knowing her.  When asked to leave she tried to argue that she had some kind of reason to be there and that they were being assholes.  After a stern talking to, she soon left there to return to the business I work at and bum cig's from a few people before disappearing for a while... returning a couple more times to bum cig's and disappearing soon after in 20 minute intervals.

I hope she never comes back.  She's banned from the property anyway... but the apology caught me off guard and I sold her some stuff before I really remembered what her deal was.

A month a go, some tweaked out dread head hippie walked through the lot talking to himself for a few minutes.  Suddenly he decided to go to the corner of the station, drop his pants and take a dump right there at the corner of the station building.  He then pulled up his pants and walked off with out a word one way or the other.  Thankfully I wasn't working.

About 3 months back there was this dude who came in and spent a 50 on a couple bucks of stuff, then he went outside.
A few minutes later he returned to buy some more stuff... but when he put his money on the counter to pay, it was covered in fresh blood.  I inquired and he said "oh, yeah I cut my thumb open on something.  It's no problem."  I informed him that he needed to get it bandaged or go to the hospital.  He demanded, in a low growl, "there's nothing wrong with my blood.  I don't need one [a bandage]."
Hoping this was the last I would see of him, I picked up the money with a plastic back and put it in an other plastic bag on the floor.  (I used to work at a hospital as a medical specimen courier... blood borne pathogens... you get the picture)
Over the next two hours he continued to return at random intervals, buying beer at times, disappearing some place outside, dripping blood all over the store, inciting other customers to tell him to get his thumb fixed, etc...
All in all, he spent the 50 and I think 20 more over 7 visits.  By the end of my shift I had a bag full of bloody money to go bleach.
He struck up conversation with me a couple of his visits.  They mostly were about "mud stomping" his "way down to Eureka" that evening and him struggling with a map he had purchased and demanding prices out of me and scolding me for not touching his bloody money.
Eventually he got really drunk and disappeared in to some front yard bushes.

This one lady rented a Truck from our location and I had been her phone contact and contract "writer."  Through the whole process she asked MANY times "the truck is only 29.95 per day, right?" to which I said, every time, "29.95, plus gas used, plus mileage" as I always did to everyone.  Well... she drove it over 300 miles, used an entire full tank of gas and upon returning the vehicle attempted to convince me that I had never said any thing about gas or mileage by shouting at me, looking at other customers frantically, threatening to call law enforcement, telling me she was a bank teller and that it would not be authorized... yatta, yatta.
After much Insane yelling, being accused of telling her lies to mislead her, informing her that I don't get paid by [rental companies]'s fees and that she was bound by a contract she signed (that I plainly read to her [at time of rental leaving] which clearly states what she owes [on return]) she left!  She claimed, on her way out, that she had to go to the bank to get the money owed put in the account to pay, even though she was sure we were wrong and she had been lied to.
Longer story short, she closed the account so the debit card didn't run, I called her to attempt to give her a discount that she didn't want, then I called corporate to report an attempted fraud.... it's now gone to collections... sucks to be her, anyone that knows her, or the people who might have that phone number in the future.

Amidst all the bizarre stories and whack jobs, there are a few locals who are very nice people who are also crazy; they know the difference between themselves and the insane jerkoffs that come by and that's awesome.

That's enough rambling from me... Peace!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:05:10 AM by Lidge Farkley »
The first time I played F2 seriously was with a Luck of 1 and an older patch (one where the car worked and you could beat the game.)  After a while, my character became Jinxed.  After a longer while, I got the Pariah Dog.  Then I noticed that specific computer terminals would give me an additional luck point.  Eventually I got the Pariah Dog's brain removed at the SAD, got my Luck points "back" and got the MUTATE perk in my options... I didn't think to MUTATE "Jinxed" until after my computer got eaten by Win32.CIH.  I've tried to set this up with the new patches, 3 times since, to no avail.:-p