Author Topic: So how much younger is too... too... too much younger? That can't be right.  (Read 5699 times)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
I hate grammar.

Anyway, this girl who just asked me out is 19, and as you guys know, I turned 25 last Wednesday.  I mean, 6 years isn't THAT much; on the other hand, she's my youngest sister's age, and she can't drink yet, which is fucking weird.  How do you ask someone who can't legally drink out for a drink and a show?

I already said yes, so now I gotta go out with her, but I feel kinda pervy about it.  Fuck it though, she asked me out!
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
I figure don't date anyone under 21 unless you plan on dealing with a whole bunch of emotional drama.
Some girls are ok at that age, but they're VERY rare.  But then, I'm basing that on my experience in Australia where 18-21 are the prime drinking years.  Maybe sober 19 year olds are ok.

That said, looking at it mathematically, as time goes on a 6 year age difference will quickly become miniscule.  Consider the ages as fractions.  19/25 simplifies to 0.76.  Ok, sure, she's just over three quarters your age, but in 15 years it'll be 0.85, 30 years becomes 0.891.  Every year brings your ages closer together.  In as little as two thousand years, the ratio would simplify to 0.997.  Rounded to two decimal places YOU'D BE THE SAME AGE!

Incidentally, I used that explanation to woo my current girlfriend.  We've been together a year and a half, so it seems to be a good theory.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:27:40 PM by Swash »

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
I hate grammar.

Anyway, this girl who just asked me out is 19, and as you guys know, I turned 25 last Wednesday.  I mean, 6 years isn't THAT much; on the other hand, she's my youngest sister's age, and she can't drink yet, which is fucking weird.  How do you ask someone who can't legally drink out for a drink and a show?

I already said yes, so now I gotta go out with her, but I feel kinda pervy about it.  Fuck it though, she asked me out!

I had this exact problem around your age... I mean she was perfect for me, except that she was a bit young.

I never could get over that, as those are 6 really important years. At this point in my life (I'm 43) six years either way is no biggie. But between 19 and 25? That's a friggen chasm.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
if you're asking the question, then it will always be the issue with this girl.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Going by the old divide by half and add 7.... 19.5 is ok for you to date.

If ya like math to rule your dating, then that should make you happy. :D

If drinking legaly with someone is important to you, then just date gals 21 and over. Or take her to Canada for date nights.

"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
All interesting answers! 

I mean, I'm not super worried about it- if she turns out to be extra mature for 19 maybe we'll go out again, if she's a typical 19 year old we probably won't- I was just curious about people's opinions.

19 to 25 is a massive fucking divide in terms of life experience, but everybody's different!
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
My girlfriend and I are almost 6 years different.

We started dating when I was 30, and she was 24.

Now, that might not seem like that big of a difference, but understand that I had spent the majority of my 20's with one woman who I married and later divorced.

(And oddly enough, my girlfriend got to meet my ex last weekend when we were in Connecticut for a lesbian wedding of a friend of my gf's. My ex (who lives in the Bronx right now) knew I was going out there via facebook, and wanted to get together for dinner with her boyfriend, my girlfriend, and I. It was pleasantly not awkward at all.)

But anyway, digression aside, most people at 24 who had never been married probably wouldn't be able to relate to what I had been through. And my gf was no different. But she was also very mature for her age, and it didn't cause any issues. I still mock her for not remembering a lot of the 80's, though.

So age can be an issue, but maturity on both sides is much more important than age. There is no magic numerical formula to determine whether people are compatible. Humans aren't purely rational beings, so one can't simply crank out numbers to determine if they are a match.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
For a guy, divide age by half, add 7, 19.5 --> round it down for comfort and tighter bewbs and you hit 19. Hey, it's perfectly okay!

Yeah, I was kidding. About the add 7 part.

Really!

... No?

..Fine, whatever! In the end, go with what feels right. I never cared much for theories about ages and shit, what matters is compatibility. Maturity levels need to match somewhat, and both parties need to want approximately the same outta the relationship (or different, compatible things...)

Plus, who our age doesn't wanna date a young thing like that. Hell, she may even be a virgin :P

...wait, that's a bad thing. Does she have proper sexual training?

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
I still mock her for not remembering a lot of the 80's, though.

You should envy her, I'd give anything not to remember the shoulder pads, big hair and Lycra.  My BMX was awesome though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the age difference but then again the UK has different drinking ages and adulthood is seen to start at 18 here.  Lets face it regardless of how old you or your partner the risk of them being immature is always there.  I like Transformers, I'd still eke hours of fun out of a toy gun, digging in the garden is one of my favourite sports and occasionaly I wonder how cool it would be to be He man.

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Go for it wihout reservation.

Unless she's a minor i wouldn't let it affect my call on the matter.  If you two click then it works, if not then it doesn't.  No use complicating everything.
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
Just remember your only as old as the ones you feel

(hey im a weasel wadda ya expect)
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
It really depends on whether or not she's mature (or you're immature, I suppose) enough for you. Going into a relationship with a 19 year old, I wouldn't expect much more than good company without getting too serious, but then again, girls tend to mature way faster than guys.

Bottom line: Know what you're getting into, and if it still feels good, it's probably ok.

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Words of Wisdom
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata

Na_Day

• Desert Nomad
  • Time has not treated me well
    • View Profile
    • Come See Spriggs: The Machinima
It really depends on whether or not she's mature (or you're immature, I suppose) enough for you. Going into a relationship with a 19 year old, I wouldn't expect much more than good company without getting too serious, but then again, girls tend to mature way faster than guys.

Bottom line: Know what you're getting into, and if it still feels good, it's probably ok.

Having both on both sides of the situation (dating an older woman and a younger woman) at about the same age difference, I'd say that everyone harping maturity is exactly right.  If she's mature, you'll be fine.  If not, you'll regret it.

That said, be sure YOU can handle that difference.  What was your era was not hers, and that will throw you off, make no mistake.
The artist formerly known as TSSR, Sheriff