Author Topic: HTML/Hyperlink Question for work.  (Read 2137 times)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
HTML/Hyperlink Question for work.
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:06:19 AM »
I need to know if I can, and how to, link to a specific point on a webpage that I am not the author of.  Also, the links can't be hosted by an independent service like CiteBite, they have to be hyperlinks from the target website.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: HTML/Hyperlink Question for work.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:18:29 AM »
Look in the source code and see if there's a anchor that you can access?

Of course you'll have to hope it's here and in the spot you want.

I thought I saw a link a long time ago that would scroll to coordinates on a webpage but I can't seem to find anything like that.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:59:45 AM »

I thought I saw a link a long time ago that would scroll to coordinates on a webpage but I can't seem to find anything like that.

I need something a little more user friendly "Cut & Paste" than that. It's for a data entry job and I need to be able to circulate it among the employees
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

I need something a little more user friendly "Cut & Paste" than that. It's for a data entry job and I need to be able to circulate it among the employees

Anchors are user friendly. You just take the original URL and append "#<anchortag>" to the end of it (before the .html or .htm extension, if any).

The thing is, they have to be defined in the HTML for the page, or they don't work. If the page doesn't have anchor tags, you're probably SOL.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!