Author Topic: Wondering about the Forum  (Read 2832 times)

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Wondering about the Forum
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:47:35 PM »
Hey all, i'm actually working on starting a forum with a friend of mine and was wondering about how this board is set up and pricing.  I don't know if anyone here has been on rpol.net but he's been having problems with the Admin that he used to know.  Because of that we're trying to move it to our own location.  Any Help would be seriously appreciated because i don't know the first thing about setting up a website but we're gonna try to figure it out.

BTW,  Hows everyone been?

;D
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering about the Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:21:21 AM »
Hey all, i'm actually working on starting a forum with a friend of mine and was wondering about how this board is set up and pricing.  I don't know if anyone here has been on rpol.net but he's been having problems with the Admin that he used to know.  Because of that we're trying to move it to our own location.  Any Help would be seriously appreciated because i don't know the first thing about setting up a website but we're gonna try to figure it out.

;D

I think Hoopy or Chuc knows that stuff. Obviously, you need hosting and a domain name. But you probably already knew that stuff.

I can't speak for everyone, but I've been good - no complaints (not that anyone listens or gives a @#$% :) )

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »

;D

I think Hoopy or Chuc knows that stuff. Obviously, you need hosting and a domain name. But you probably already knew that stuff.

That's much more along Chucara's knowledge. After all, he's the one with the "real job" around here.

But you need to get yourself a host and if not your own domain, at least someone with an existing domain that will let you share theirs. And take bandwidth usage into consideration.

After you get a host, you need to decide which message board software you are going to use. Fortunately, most message board software will handle all database transactions behind the scenes so you don't have to write your own SQL instructions unless you want to.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:01:27 PM »
Running the unwashed is very cheap. Any forum is if you can set it up yourself.

We paid roughly $20 to get started, and we now only pay for the domain name, which is also around $20 a year.

Obviously, if you expect hundreds or thousands or concurrent users, you need a faster server, but for most normal uses, a cheap host will do.

Generally, I've found that cheap european hosts are more stable than cheap us servers. Better, and more expensive servers are equally good no matter where you buy it. Again, if your users are 99% american, I'd probably still pick a cheap us server.

Feel free to send me a mail if you have any questions - it's troelsl (at) rsens -dot- dk.

Currently, we are using http://en.hostzero.dk/ and Simple Machines Forum (SMF)

SMF is IMO the best free forum software out there, although there are a myriad of other forums that are close. Pick forum software that is frequently updated, or you'll quickly find yourself overrun by spambots unless you're willing to modify it yourself.

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:53:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice and i may take you up on that offer but as i can tel things are well on thier way.

Anyone here into text based role-playing?
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata