Author Topic: Wow... go see Up!  (Read 3385 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Wow... go see Up!
« on: May 30, 2009, 08:58:01 AM »
In my opinion, it's Pixar's best yet. Wow... Pixar can make a great story out of anything. Rats, Cars (who've taken over the planet after enslaving the human race), a cranky old man...

You know those old Disney movies that would make you cry? This is one of them. I cried thoughout the movie, then I laughed, and then I cried some more.

It's a wonderful film.

Yet another classic for Pixar.

If you can, go see it in Disney 3D. =)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:59:35 AM by Doombot »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Wow... go see Up!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
i'm sorry, but i have to slightly contest that.

it was a great movie and i do highly recommend it, but i'm not sure pixar fully lived up to the expectations they've set for themselves.

it could be just that i've always found pixar's human characters a bit lacking (i will be the first to admit that i live in an imaginary world of my own) and that their anthropomorphic characters always seem to be more dimensional than the humans.

i guess my view of it can me summed up with: dont go in expecting anything like the classics of toy story or monster's inc, which is what i did. i do recommend the 3d though (kinda kicking myself for not seeing monsters vs. aliens in 3d)
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »
i'm sorry, but i have to slightly contest that.

That's fine. People have different opinions. =)

But really? It's getting very positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 98% fresh rating. MetaCritic puts it higher than Star Trek and it's users are giving it a 9.4 average.

I saw it and was just stunned by how great it was. I thought: "Instant Classic".

But that's just me... =)
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
i was expecting more of pixar's classic stamp: unrealistic talking animals, maybe a toy or a car not doing what we expect it to be doing. it seemed a little "safe."

by no means am i saying that it's a bad movie, it's just not what i wanted from pixar.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
i was expecting more of pixar's classic stamp: unrealistic talking animals, maybe a toy or a car not doing what we expect it to be doing. it seemed a little "safe."

by no means am i saying that it's a bad movie, it's just not what i wanted from pixar.

Wow. I took the opposite view. I thought it wasn't safe.

SPOILERS!!!!

It's one of the first "kiddie" films in a long time that didn't avoid certain issues. Two REALLY bad things happen in the film, a fairly significant implied event with the children issue (plus a few more depressing scenes). - I still don't want to spoil the film yet so I'm being vague.

Reminded me of the Disney of old when Bambi's Mom was killed and eaten.

And what about the part when the fire...

SQUIRREL!!!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:27:04 PM by Doombot »

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:07:03 AM »
Looks pretty cool, but I always thought of Pixar as animators first and storytellers second. But this does look interesting...
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with Doombot on this, Up was a fantastic movie! Kinda made me think of Indiana Jones at times too lol. I enjoyed all of it, it was very moving and as funny as you'd expect a Pixar film to be. At no POINT was I bored or not plastered with a silly grin on my face having fun (with exceptions to the touching moments, well done in the movie.)

Great characters all around :)

Laughinman

• Tangerine Target
  • Stupid, but still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
on the topic of pixar movies; something completely different:

did anyone else but me thought that Wall-E had a strange falloutish atmosphere ?
A witty reply proves nothing.
      - Voltaire