Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 538464 times)

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #1230 on: January 04, 2017, 06:32:07 AM »
I had pretty much the worst birthday of my life,  our little dog had cancer, we've seen how horrible the treatment is so we were taking care of him until he started to refuse his food, cry at night and most heartbreakingly became very snappy with the children over Last week. Saturday was the last day we had all together for a while where we could give him a good day so he got chicken, beef, ice cream and a day at the beach before we took him to the vet at sunset, this is just before 4pm in Scotland just now, I held him as he went and we looked at the sunset. The only good thing is that I know I was there to help him with a dignified passing.
I am sorry for your loss.
But it'll help

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #1231 on: January 21, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
Hello All.
With the beginning of a brave new year, and the inauguration of a controversial new president, I am "cautious but optimistic" as a wise man once told me. Its no secret that I voted for Trump, not because I agree with everything he says, but because I believe that hes a guy who believes in the freedom to say what he feels, even if it can't be back up by facts. It reminds me of something my dad used to often say "Statistics lie, and liars use statistics", or something else I once read "You can do magic with math if you really try". He also seems like the type to eliminate wasteful spending and bad deals, of which both are major burdens for our country. If you look at Brexit, or the more recent Gambia election, Trump's victory was not an isolated freak incident, but shift in politics worldwide. Again, i'm "cautious but optimistic"

I will (finally, after 7 years) graduate college in May. Its funny how within college theres pressure to complete further tiers; Masters, PhD, Doctorate, post doc etc. I may get my MBA someday if my employer would pay for some of it, but the handful of people I've known with masters degrees aren't doing anything with them.

I traveled overseas for the first time this past month. I spent a couple days in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, and a week in Dubai. It was exciting but a bit overwhelming also. It certainly won't be the last time I travel abroad, and hopefully not the last time I go to the Middle East (attached is a picture of the skyline Dubai).

For my new years resolution, I gave up drinking and smoking.

This past year, I've been visiting small towns around Missouri and really enjoying it. I want to continue to see small towns around the Midwest. For decades, people have been flocking to big cities for jobs and money and I think we are seeing the negative effects of that these days. Big cities have their own problems. I really want to see what can be done to promote growth in cities with <100k people across America.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #1232 on: January 23, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
Glad to hear you've passed your master's, sounds like you earned it, after 7 years.  :D

I went to Dubai airport once and it was the fanciest airport I've ever been detained in.  ;D

Travelling is exhausting but quite rewarding, keep at it if you can.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #1233 on: January 27, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
For the record, I'll be getting my bachelors not my masters. I took about 2 years off in between colleges. I'm still unsure if I want to pursue an MBA in the future.

I didn't fly into Dubai, we flew into Abu Dhabi (via British Airways), which was not especially nice. At least not compared to London's Heathrow, which was much nicer.

heres me chillin in the desert no big deal
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:53 AM »
I always wanted to know what you'd look like as Jesus!   :D

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 17, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »
I've spent the last five months working on my own fantasy Lore, I've finally published one of hopefully many stories as a book. :D

Paperback: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawns-Children-Lonesome-Tower-1/dp/1542764998/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487350525&sr=8-2&keywords=Dawn%27s+Children+The+Lonesome+Tower

Kindle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawns-Children-Lonesome-George-Carr-ebook/dp/B06W2M6VKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487350525&sr=8-1&keywords=Dawn%27s+Children+The+Lonesome+Tower

I've been turning some of my old, less thought out concepts into bigger stories, hopefully combinging what I like about Fantasy in one book. Publishing was a wee bit of a bitch, since they completely buggered up my formatting but after nearly forty eight hours of constantly wrestling with it, I managed to get it live. It feels good to have finished something this big and to have actually have gone through with it. :)

I'm still working at the school, I think I'm getting better at my job. Children actually listen to me when I speak and I'm able to bribe some of them into improving their behaviour with Star Wars stuff. I thankfully have a week off now, it's good for me but not so much for future me, who's hard work will be undone by the children being at home for a week and they'll probably come back as little shitters. T.T

Oh well!  ;D

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #1236 on: March 30, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
Congrats on the published book! I will try to buy a copy at some point.

After nearly 2 years at Starbucks, I put in my resignation. I've only quit a few jobs, but I've never once regretted it. I had been there longer than anyone else, was working mostly with bratty young women who didn't listen to me, saw organizational problems that were never addressed, and had a good friend (who I met at work) die of a heart attack, and I was ready to leave. I don't have a job lined up yet, so my boss was begging me to stay. Probably not the wisest thing, but I don't care. I'm ready for something new & fresh whatever that may be.

Should be getting my bachelors degree in May in International Business. I would like to get into import/export eventually.

I plan to move to Seattle, WA, at the end of the Summer. I have never been west of Kansas, so this should be interesting. I just want to see the Pacific Ocean and real mountains.

Taking a trip to Chicago and Minneapolis next month for a few days vacation.

Killmod/Jesse

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 02, 2017, 01:45:26 AM »
I think quitting without a job to fall onto motivates you to pursue something, safety often breeds contentment and therefore you aren't going to be where you want to be in life. I'm glad you've managed to take the plunge. :)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:23 AM »

Taking a trip to Chicago and Minneapolis next month for a few days vacation.

Don't forget to look me up when you're here.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Alderach

• Tangerine Target
  • Patron Saint of the Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 07, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
Well there was just a terror attack here, so I'm a bit shaken? But everyone I know is safe, at least so far.

Never thought I'd have to use Facebooks "I'm Safe" feature, but I'm glad it exists.
Where has it gone?
What I see all around me,
has always been there.
Strangely enough I always found it missing.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 08, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
Good to hear that you're safe
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 10, 2017, 01:38:01 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering if it was near were you were.

Glad to hear you're okay.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 17, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
Glad you and yours are ok, Aldy. It's hitting a little close to home :(

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #1243 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
I got to meet up with Hoopy and his girlfriend Liz in Chicago this week, drinks and good conversation were had.

Also, glad to hear you are safe Aldy

Killmod/Jesse

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #1244 on: May 12, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
This week I finish the last of my college coursework, for my Bachelors in International Business. The graduation is this Sunday, which I won't be attending (partly because I don't care, partly because its Mother's Day). College has been a long journey for me. Originally, I went to school for Architecture, not really prepared for the intensity or demands. I had never drafted before, haha. The long, lonely nights working in our studio, which was an old supposedly-haunted mansion (http://info.umkc.edu/unews/campus-history-epperson-house/) are times I'll never forget. Moving to another city helped me grow socially and be more responsible. Leaving was a tough heartbreaking decision, I don't like to give up on things, but I wasn't cut for it. I remember it clearly. It was move out day, I had already dropped my major, but was planning to stay at the school. I went to the bookstore to sell my books, ran into my ex (who I still loved and respected) and chatted for a while. I decided that was a sign not to return. I went back and cleared my room, told roommate I was not coming back, and left with a friend.

I surprised my parents with an "I'm staying!". I took almost 3 years off, working some crappy jobs, knowing I would finish at some point. Eventually, I went to community college for a semester and pretty much hated it. I came to my current University (where my mother also graduated from) in Fall of 2014. I choose my major because I saw that almost everything sold in the U.S. was made in China, shipped across the world, and I wanted to know why and how (and how to stop it). I can't stay I liked my University much but i'm glad to be done. MBA is a consideration only if my employer will help pay the cost, and I know if it will leader to promotions.

If anyone reading this is about to start college, heres what I have to say. Make it quick and intensive. Get done in 4 or 5 years (Summer school is great) even if you change your major, which many people do. Get involved, meet many people and don't work a job unless you have to. Wander the campus. Consider the culture, it will hugely influence the attitudes of staff and students. Your early 20s are a special time when you have responsibilities but can make mistakes; Use this time to further your education and grow yourself. If all you care about is getting a job afterwards, go to a trade school. I think college is supposed to show you that life can be more than "work, eat, sleep die" which is worth the money. Good luck.

Killmod/Jesse