Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 538714 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #960 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
   Just my family just bought a friend's Hp Touchpad for $150, so I guess im taking part in the so called "Tablet Revolution" or something. Because our laptop kicked the bucket after 3 years of heavy use.

So far, WebOS seems to work really fast with the built in apps, and is very easy to use. The screen looks nice and is  generally big enough, though text on many webpages looks small. The touch requires a little more pressure than I expected.

There are some things that bug me though. Some of the built in apps are just not as good as on IOS; It uses bing maps built in for directions, which you can't just search the name of a place without the adress usually (unlike good maps).

Also, this desperately needs a good you tube app, im pretty shocked there isnt one available. The built in "Youtube" is only a shortcut to the browser and youtube in a browser is not meant for a device like this. While you can watch videos (and in HD) the buttons are too small and there is considerable lag when pausing of going fullscreen. Its kind of sad that youtube works better on my less powerful ipod touch than this. Also, I couldnt get the webcam to work in built in skype.

It syncs nicely with my online stuff (gmail, facebook etc) and automatically recognizes my HP printer which is awesome. Browsing generally works good, but is (obviously) not as comfortable as a PC and takes a little longer. Great for looking things up quickly, and the closest to a PC browsing that I've seen on a mobile thing.

Anyway, totally worth what I payed for it. A little laggy doing stuff that is meant for a PC, but is fast with native apps. I've heard it works well with over clocking and you can install Android, but I probably won't do either.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #961 on: June 04, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
   So things are going really well for me right now.
    I'm in a good relationship, the most stable i've had for a while. And after 5 months of being unemployed, I found a full time job within walking distance. I don't know how long this is going to last, but for now life is good.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 05, 2012, 12:54:35 AM »
My biggest problem with tablets is the absence of feedback when typing.  As a touch typist, I rely on feeling the keys to know that I'm hitting the right ones.  It's a little jarring to feel nothing but the plastic screen.
That said, I find laptop keyboards far too small.  On my desktop I use a monster of an ergonomic keyboard that's as wide as my monitor.  But it's comfortable.  This is the second one I've had because I spilt a tiny bit of tea into the first and killed the C key.  I went back to my old keyboard and just couldn't stand typing on the horrible flat thing, so I forked out another $150 for a new monster.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 23, 2012, 04:36:27 AM »
If someone could invent some sort of geneticy thing to make penises dispense liquor i would bemuch appreciative. Thanks in advance
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 23, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »
Thats a highly disturbing mental image  :o
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #965 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
You got to admit though... it would be very useful.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #966 on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
If someone could invent some sort of geneticy thing to make penises dispense liquor i would bemuch appreciative. Thanks in advance

...Or Chocolate

Killmod/Jesse

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 23, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »

...Or Chocolate

:'( Thats even worse....
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 26, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
If we can't get the penis beer fountain to work, how about a devise that turns vomit into chocolate?

I would suggest beer, but that's the only reason most folks vomit.

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »
Both of those sound disgusting. Beer is only good in bread

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #971 on: September 11, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
Whats going on in everyone's life?

I hate my job. Not just because its boring or monotonous, but because its physically laborious work for minimum wage ($7.25/hour and no benefits or workers comp at all). I unload trucks and load furniture and everything else that comes in to a thrift store.
   Lifting heavy junk all day 5 days a week for 3 months has drained me. Because really, the only people who should be making minimum wage are those who are mentally challenged or who have no practical skills or education. Its sad to see a bunch of people in their 30s or 40s settling for minimum wage jobs because they cant find anything else. I want to quit right now, but I have to find something better first.

Its even worse when I see my cousin (whos 20) get a job making $40k/year doing computer networking, and his brother (whos  27) making $100k/year doing the same.
One day, i'm going to be wealthy, and I will remember how fighting over money (whether too much or not enough) can tear friends and families apart.

On a lighter note, fall is almost upon us. Its my favorite season, because theres only about 2 months where the weather here is not really hot and not freezing cold. I guess i'm excited about that. Hopefully, I'll be buying (my first) cheap car soon too.

Killmod/Jesse

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 11, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
Sorry to hear your job isn't working out so well. I remember a while ago I had work experience in a garden centre, by the end of day one my fingers were cut to ribbons and my back was killing me. Though I figured what caused the cuts in my fingers, they had little plastic plant pots to keep the plants in. My job for that wee was to move them all into the warehouse from outside.
Though it sounds very romantic it was a flawed job by the fact that the plant pots were made of plastic (of the cheap variety) and splintered when you picked them up. I also figured that the... (I'm hesitant to call it a wheel barrow since it worked the same way) was the heavier of the two. So the next day I swiped the lighter cart, though that helped it didn't solve the plastic splinter problem. I cannot imagine what having to life heavy furniture day in and out would do to your joints.

To answer your original question, very little.

I am still at college doing... college stuff (politics, business and anything else that makes me legally evil), I had 2 months off over the summer.
Though this time was spent going to the hospital to visit various members of my family, I swear there is a "killswitch" for everyone in my family, because they all went to hospital with the same problem. First it was my Grandmother, then my Uncle and then my dad, this obviously meant we couldn't go on holiday which was a crushing blow to my Dad.
He's always loved going on holiday whilst I never cared for it he's suggested I go on my own, but... meh.

In other news: I started a New Vegas mod, though I still haven't finished it (it may go the same way as all my mods to pipe dream land). Haven't had any games that I've been interested in either since Soul Calibur 5, with the exception of The Walking Dead (I've also been following the show since it's out 6 months later here.)

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 12, 2012, 07:41:24 AM »
What?

I'm not too sure I have vague memories of working and chasing children but when said children wake you up so early that it feels like the whole world would echo at a whisper it's a little hard to make a good account of yourself.

That said when they aren't trying to re-arrange the room at times that only usually exist in theory the children are wonderful.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 24, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
Another passing stop in from me.

Things have gone incredibly well on the relationship front - we're both on the same wavelength, want the same things and get along brilliantly at all times, so now after all those years of single life, I'm engaged and getting married at the end of next year.