Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 169521 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #1245 on: May 12, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »
   This week I finish the last of my college coursework, for my Bachelors in International Business. The graduation is this Sunday, which I won't be attending (partly because I don't care, partly because its Mother's Day). College has been a long journey for me. Originally, I went to school for Architecture, not really prepared for the intensity or demands. I had never drafted before, haha. The long, lonely nights working in our studio, which was an old supposedly-haunted mansion (http://info.umkc.edu/unews/campus-history-epperson-house/) are times I'll never forget. Moving to another city helped me grow socially and be more responsible. Leaving was a tough heartbreaking decision, I don't like to give up on things, but I wasn't cut for it. I remember it clearly. It was move out day, I had already dropped my major, but was planning to stay at the school. I went to the bookstore to sell my books, ran into my ex (who I still loved and respected) and chatted for a while. I decided that was a sign not to return. I went back and cleared my room, told roommate I was not coming back, and left with a friend.

I surprised my parents with an "I'm staying!". I took almost 3 years off, working some crappy jobs, knowing I would finish at some point. Eventually, I went to community college for a semester and pretty much hated it. I came to my current University (where my mother also graduated from) in Fall of 2014. I choose my major because I saw that almost everything sold in the U.S. was made in China, shipped across the world, and I wanted to know why and how (and how to stop it). I can't stay I liked my University much but i'm glad to be done. MBA is a consideration only if my employer will help pay the cost, and I know if it will leader to promotions.

If anyone reading this is about to start college, here's what I have to say. Make it quick and intensive. Get done in 4 or 5 years (Summer school is great. Also CC sucks don't go) even if you change your major, which many people do. Get involved, meet many people and don't work a job unless you have to. Wander the campus. Consider the culture, it will hugely influence the attitudes of staff and students. Your early 20s are a special time when you have responsibilities but can make mistakes; Use this time to further your education and grow yourself. If all you care about is getting a job afterwards, go to a trade school. I think college is supposed to show you that life can be more than "work, eat, sleep die" which is worth the money. Good luck.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse