Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 117815 times)

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
I don't think I've shot a single person who didn't deserve it. Apparently that's about 600 or so at this point. I'm the worst thing that's happened to America since the bombs fell!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2008, 02:08:12 AM »
I'm more of a hoarder - guns and armour are far more valuable as spare parts so I end up selling very little, compounded by the fact I end up tossing loads of stuff away just so I'm not overweight. I take whatever I can and stuff it in the house for later on.

Yeah, but since I'm only level 6 or 7 at this point, and haven't even visited GNR yet, the type of armor I'm getting pretty much consists of Raider armor and Talon Company armor. Talon Company armor is a better armor, and Raider armor can't be used to repair it. So since I'm wiping out Raiders, I need to do something with their armor. Even with a repair skill of 90 at this point (and I didn't even tag the thing), I have craploads of armor I'm not using. Also, apparently the Talon guys will respawn at the Super Duper mart as I discovered when I fast traveled there to hit the Bethesda offices. There were three of them again. This time though, a fire ant had decided it didn't like them. It was amusing to watch the fight.

But with the respawn, I have a source of repair armor for my current set.

I still remember the first time I went tot he Super Duper mart, armed only with a 10mm pistol.

(Which, actually, isn't too bad at taking down singleton Raiders.  And 10mm ammo is plentiful. So usually I prefer to fight raiders with that and save the other ammo for harder fights. Moira still seems to be lacking in her ammo stores, and the Weapons caravan only shows up occasionally at Megaton.)

But anyway, I'm reach the Super Duper mart, and find myself under attack by 3 talon soldiers. One of whom has an assault rifle. Ummm...yeah. I should get better weaponry before I take three guys like that with a 10mm pistol. So I managed to find myself a lone raider with an assault rifle wandering around Springvale. I took his gun after taking his life. I then kicked Talon Company ass.

Ammo rarely seems to be a problem once you get going, as I have a habit of putting a bullet through everyone I see rather than running so hoovering it all up saves looking for a vendor.

I'm doing OK ammo wise. I remember exploring on my way to Deathclaw Sanctuary and blowing things away with the Assault rifle and/or Hunting rifle. Then I realized that I was chewing through ammo like nothing. So reserved the heavy hitters for the harder monsters and used the 10mm for weaker things.

Of course, the super mutant brute who hides in the tanker truck outside of  Big Town got to eat a bottlecap  mine. It took me a couple reloads to pull that one off. The first time I encountered that duo, I see the standard super mutant and was thinking that it was nothing since super mutants on their own aren't that dangerous. I took the standard guy out and the next thing I know I've got 3 crippled limbs as I take massive damage from a minigun. I figured I could lead him back to Big Town and watch him slaughter the residents for amusement, but I just reloaded and realized to approach the truck on a beeline. I was able to lure the regular supermutie away down a bridge (interrupted a bit by some radom wild dog), and make him eat my assult rifle at close range head shots. His brute friend left unawares I planted a bottle cap mine right outside the truck and lured him out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:09:50 AM by Hoopy Frood »
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2008, 06:02:56 AM »
*sneaks off with the Delceration of Independence, the Bill of Rights and the Magna Carta... wondering how in the hell the Magna Carta ended up in DC.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2008, 06:06:42 AM »
Well I started over with a different setup and did melee/explosives sneaky type.. fun plopping live gernades into peoples pants but eh.. melee really isnt all that great. If/when I do this again Ill do sneaky/small arms/explosives as my Tags

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2008, 06:09:11 AM »
I'm surprised how much the random encouters scale (and they do). Earlier today I was jumped by 3 mole rats, a Mr. Gusty and a friggen deathclaw at the same time, just north of the National Guard Depot. And Rockbreaker's Last Gas, which the Fallout wiki states is 'home to some raiders' is now home to a squad of Enclave troops.

Hoopy, the Talon guys will hit you just about anywhere that you fast-travel to, once a contract is put out on you for having a Goody-Two-Shoes level of karma. My first encounter was with two of them W or NW of the Super Duper Mart by a silo and abandoned house. Between clearing out their base at Fort Bannister, tangling with hit squads trying to collect my head, and the Talon vs mutant battles in the DC area, I'm well supplied with Talon suits.

I'm disappointed by how much melee sucks in this one. Remember taking out deathclaws with a super sledge and combat armor in the original? I don't think I'd have much luck doing that know.

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »
I managed to shoot down a vertibird tonight. Awesomeness.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »
Oh, and since I'm right now a small guns guy and rarely use grenades, I have started selling off all my frag grenades now that I can create nuka-cola grenades. They do something like 3 times the damage of a frag. And the materials for them are fairly plentiful.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
I know how to stop the Talon attacks...

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »
I know how to stop the Talon attacks...

Yeah but if you turn evil the guys that come after you don't wear good armor you can steal off their dead half-eaten corpses.  :(
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2008, 07:31:21 PM »
The Talon Mercs getting blown away by the buiness end of a shotgun is what kept me in armour until I got my hands on the power armour training.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
Nah a way to do it without changing karma...

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »

No doubt it involves taking out the guy who put the contract on your head, or who hired Burke to put the contract on your head. Or they probably have headquarters somewhere to wipe them out. It doesn't matter. I'd rather keep them alive coming after me so I can score the lootz.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »

No doubt it involves taking out the guy who put the contract on your head, or who hired Burke to put the contract on your head. Or they probably have headquarters somewhere to wipe them out. It doesn't matter. I'd rather keep them alive coming after me so I can score the lootz.

They do indeed have a HQ but I've heard people that have gone in there and cleaned it out (you can score a lot of nice equipment that way) saying it doesn't stop the attacks. Neutral karma is the only sure fire way I'm aware of to avoid the attacks. Bad Karma characters have another crowd on their backs. In all honesty though, I prefer having the target practice.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2008, 04:24:09 AM »
They occupy one of the bases.. northish of Tenpenny towers(not Fort Constantine though.. IIRC it's north of the Evermill place or whatever that huge Raider outpost is). You have to go pretty deep into the base and there is a named guy there(has a unique Combat Knife called Occum's Razor). So far as I can tell, he's the head hauncho of the Talon Merc outfit. Hell of a fight especially since he insists on using missle launcher in closed spaces.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2008, 06:23:27 AM »
Hell of a fight especially since he insists on using missle launcher in closed spaces.

Plasma rifle --> Headshot --> insta-dead whatever

:P
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney