Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 117601 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2008, 04:05:36 AM »
And...done.

For those saying it was silly to take the exp or extra level perks I finished at level 19. So I wasn't even capped out.

***WARNING - next part is very spoilerific regarding the ending***

***You've been warned***

Major issue with the ending but not the one everyone is complaining about which is just general lameness. You need a code at the end and the game seems to assume you've remembered it. I couldn't find it in my notes anywhere. I eventually found out what it was by messing with some chat options. So if you find yourself in the same boat just remember to talk to the girl and tell her to go. You'll understand when you get to it.

Oh and did anyone else decide to fight your way out of "the place" after "the thing" happens? I did and I finally got a plasma rifle out of it. OP much?  :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:08:51 AM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »
Last night I finally got power armor training, went 'woo-hoo', tabbed into my inventory and realized I actually liked my ranger armor/shady hat combo better than the enclave power armor.  Fully repaired ranger armor is 38 DR; fully repaired Enclave power armor is 40 DR.  I don't really need more strength for anything, and switching to the power armor represented a -2 agi and -5 bonus AP loss.  Boo to that.  You can make a better case for ditching the shady hat, since it doesn't come near the power armor helm's DR, but it does have bonus perception and sneak, plus it would look stupid to wear a power armor helmet with my ranger armor.

Rangers what what
I like the Ranger Battle Armor (AP +5, Luck +1, Small Guns +10) and Ledoux's Hockey Mask (AP +25) combination, myself.  And I think the max DR might depend on the Repair skill, 'cause my fully repaired Ranger Battle Armor has a DR of 39.  Or maybe you're misremembering.

Action points ftw!
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
I've heard last night that a single set of T-51B power armour exists in the game, but I've not been to the place it's located yet.

It seems to be of limited use however as you can't repair it past 50% due to not having any spare parts.

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
And...done.

For those saying it was silly to take the exp or extra level perks I finished at level 19. So I wasn't even capped out.

***WARNING - next part is very spoilerific regarding the ending***

***You've been warned***

Major issue with the ending but not the one everyone is complaining about which is just general lameness. You need a code at the end and the game seems to assume you've remembered it. I couldn't find it in my notes anywhere.

Actually if you paid closer attention when Dad was telling you about the whole reason behind him wanting to finish what he started, you'd be able to figure out the code;  Look under the Notes section and you might have a revelation. *cough* ;)

As for the ending, other than the heavy-handedness of the endgame, the ending cinematic just wasn't up to par with the first two Fallout games.  Its a nice little closing video, but as others have mentioned, its nowhere near the quality of the previous games' ending cinematics in that it doesn't sum of the impact you had on any of the places you went or the people you helped. My ending highlighted two major choices that affected the D.C. area inhabitants as a whole, but didn't mention anything of the small settlements that I directly impacted with my choices in game.  No mention of disarming the Megaton bomb, nor of saving the slaves from Little Lamplight, of helping Vault 101 toward a brighter future,  of what happened to Reilly's Rangers... Weak sauce, I say! Weak sauce!

As for the Here and Now perk...well, the point was you could easily get to level 20 by or before the end of the game, so why waste a perk on an auto-level when you could pick something useful for actual gameplay with the perk and level the old fashioned way?  Besides, level 20's Grim Reaper's Sprint is ridiculously awesome in its overpoweringness when you have a ton of AP and a laser rifle or laser pistol... Hit VATS, seven targeted shots to the dome, AP resets, hit VATS; lather rinse repeat.  :D 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:21:47 PM by Silver Dragon »
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »

Actually if you paid closer attention when Dad was telling you about the whole reason behind him wanting to finish what he started, you'd be able to figure out the code;  Look under the Notes section and you might have a revelation. *cough* ;)

LIke I said, I looked all through my notes and couldn't find anything. So either it was missing or poorly labeled. In any case, they should have had it as part of the text right there at the end as that part with dad takes place quite a ways before the ending.

As for the Here and Now perk...well, the point was you could easily get to level 20 by or before the end of the game, so why waste a perk on an auto-level when you could pick something useful for actual gameplay with the perk and level the old fashioned way?  Besides, level 20's Grim Reaper's Sprint is ridiculously awesome in its overpoweringness when you have a ton of AP and a laser rifle or laser pistol... Hit VATS, seven targeted shots to the dome, AP resets, hit VATS; lather rinse repeat.  :D 

Well if I hadn't taken Here and Now I would have finished at level 18. As it is I missed out on my last perk and even if I had gotten it there would have been precious little time to actually play around with it.

Anyway, I'm playing through again and this time I'm playing the evil side. I already killed Butch, the Overseer and all the guards in the vault. I killed Lucas Simms as soon as he mouthed off to me in Megaton. Oddly enough about 4 people attacked me right then and there but after that no one seems to have an issue with me in town.  :inquisitive:
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2008, 04:03:33 PM »
I hit level 20 last night and I've not even been to Vault 87 yet. I've spent quite a lot of time exploring the various locations but getting to Tomaka or whatever it's called annoyed the life out of me last night as I kept getting lost until I saw I'd missed a metro station in Vernon Square.

And with the Grim Reaper's Sprint perk, my character is now a walking death machine when using VATS.

I've managed to clock up 55 hours in the game but it did freeze once last night, but that was just one of those things. I've 3 vaults, half a dozen or so locations marked but not explored and I'm sure there's at least a dozen I've not even found yet. My next task is to explore the metro station west of 101 and then search for locations in the SW section of the map.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »
I hit level 20 last night and I've not even been to Vault 87 yet. I've spent quite a lot of time exploring the various locations but getting to Tomaka or whatever it's called annoyed the life out of me last night as I kept getting lost until I saw I'd missed a metro station in Vernon Square.

And with the Grim Reaper's Sprint perk, my character is now a walking death machine when using VATS.

I've managed to clock up 55 hours in the game but it did freeze once last night, but that was just one of those things. I've 3 vaults, half a dozen or so locations marked but not explored and I'm sure there's at least a dozen I've not even found yet. My next task is to explore the metro station west of 101 and then search for locations in the SW section of the map.

I'm going to make an effort to get every bobble head and explore everything my second time through. Now that I learned the perks a bit and figured out a better build I'll take the time to soak up all I can.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
I've heard last night that a single set of T-51B power armour exists in the game, but I've not been to the place it's located yet.

It seems to be of limited use however as you can't repair it past 50% due to not having any spare parts.

I found it!  It's awesome!  50 DR at 100%, no -agility, some extra rad resistance if I remember right (I'm at work), and that hat gives +1 charisma for some inexplicable reason!

When I found it last night it was in 100% condition, and I didn't play much after that so I didn't have to try to repair it.  It looked to me like it looks exactly like regular power armor, which makes me hope that the game treats it like it's just a 'special' instance of reg. power armor rather than a totally different kind.  For example, the Ol' Painless hunting rifle, The Terrible Shotgun, and Little Moonlight's SMG (I forget the real name), all of which you can repair with reg. parts.  If you can't repair the T-51B with reg. armor parts I'm going to be a sad panda.

I didn't check this thread recently until just now and I had no idea that the T-51B armor existed when I found it- I was just following a vague lead to something interesting.  I have to tell you, I haven't had a 'what's this now HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME' moment like that in a long time.

T-51B ARMOR LOCATION EXPLANATION FORTHCOMING (in black so it's easier not to read if people want to find it for themselves)

In the ghoul city at the museum of natural history there's a ghoul named Mr. Crowley (I think) who gives you a quest to off four supposed 'ghoul haters' (something Strayer in Rivet City, Dukov at Dukov's Place, Dave at the Republic of Dave, and Alistair Tenpenny).  Crowley is actually full of shit and the guys don't really hate ghouls; but that doesn't really matter as to getting the power armor.  Strayer, Dukov and Dave all have keys, and that's what Crowley really wants.  You probably don't even have to have the quest to get their keys if you just want to whack them, but you need the quest if you want to talk the keys out of them.  Once you have the keys you can just not go back to Crowley, or you can go back to Crowley and say you're keeping them (he attacks you), or you can go back to Crowley, give him the keys, then follow him outside the city and blow his fucking head off (what I did).  I guess you could also just give him the keys and forget about the whole thing, but that would be retarded.

Anyway, you take the keys to Fort Constantine, which is way in the northwest (you can talk Crowley into marking it on your map).  You get in through a secret door in the CO's cabin outside the main building, you open some more doors with your keys, badda bing badda boom, bomb-ass armor.

You can also launch an intercontinental nuke while you're down there, but I couldn't find any information about what it's aimed at and there didn't seem to be any results after I did it (though I reloaded afterwards so if there are long-term consequences I won't know).  China I guess?  You can nuke China if you want?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:02:11 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
I like the Ranger Battle Armor (AP +5, Luck +1, Small Guns +10) and Ledoux's Hockey Mask (AP +25) combination, myself.  And I think the max DR might depend on the Repair skill, 'cause my fully repaired Ranger Battle Armor has a DR of 39.  Or maybe you're misremembering.

Action points ftw!

Yeah, I just misremembered.  That Ranger Battle Armor is the awesome armor I was using before I found the T-51B, and it's 39 DR.  I think mine just had like 10% damage when I compared them.  You know you can repair it with Talon merc. armor right?  And yeah, the AP on Ledoux's hockey mask is awesome, but I don't wear it just 'cause I don't like the way it looks.  Shady hat + shades FTW.  For a while it was shady hat + ghoul mask.  That was pretty awesome too.  Doesn't matter now though, 'cause I've got a robot helmet that for some reason raises my charisma (cough cough who cares about charisma).  I guess people really like robots.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »
Well I already know what kinda cahracter Im going to do next.

Assasin/contract killer type. Probably tag either Energy or Small guns and melee weapons, with sneak as the third. Level up Science and Lockpick as I can though.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »
Unfortunately, you cannot repair the T-51B armour beyond what a merchant can do with their skill. It's a "true" unique item. Oddly enough though you can use it to repair other power armour instead.

I'm going to guess the in-game explanation is the T-45 armour doesn't have the necessary parts and the Advanced Power armour parts can't be re-worked into it.

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
LIke I said, I looked all through my notes and couldn't find anything. So either it was missing or poorly labeled. In any case, they should have had it as part of the text right there at the end as that part with dad takes place quite a ways before the ending.

So much for subtle hinting...   You should have an entry in your Notes section regarding Revelation 21:6, Mother's favorite passage.  I don't see how you couldn't have it in your Notes unless its a bug of some sort, because its added when you meet Dad and the team of scientists from Rivet City at Jefferson Memorial to restart work on the project before all hell breaks loose.  Its the first thing he says to  you once everyone gets where they're supposed to be.

You're right though, they don't make it blatantly obvious that's what the password is by saying "This is the Project password, dummy!"; they hint quite heavily at it though.  As I recall, Dad mentions the passage several times while talking about Mom's goals and the Project.  When the Colonel was interrogating me and demanding the password for the project's computers,  I was thinking "I don't remember anyone telling me the password", then I made the connection a bit later while I was attempting to find my way out without getting my face melted off by the bad guys.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »

So much for subtle hinting...   You should have an entry in your Notes section regarding Revelation 21:6, Mother's favorite passage.  I don't see how you couldn't have it in your Notes unless its a bug of some sort, because its added when you meet Dad and the team of scientists from Rivet City at Jefferson Memorial to restart work on the project before all hell breaks loose.  Its the first thing he says to  you once everyone gets where they're supposed to be.

You're right though, they don't make it blatantly obvious that's what the password is by saying "This is the Project password, dummy!"; they hint quite heavily at it though.  As I recall, Dad mentions the passage several times while talking about Mom's goals and the Project.  When the Colonel was interrogating me and demanding the password for the project's computers,  I was thinking "I don't remember anyone telling me the password", then I made the connection a bit later while I was attempting to find my way out without getting my face melted off by the bad guys.

I have horrid short-term memory due to my sleep issues so I forget most of the quest text as soon as I've read it. I always have to go back to the notes to try and remember what on earth I'm working on.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
If anyone hasn't done the quest Oasis yet, I highly recommend doing so - I'll say no more than that.  :)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
If anyone hasn't done the quest Oasis yet, I highly recommend doing so - I'll say no more than that.  :)

I've already started picking up lots of quests that I somehow missed my first time through. For instance, I went into the bar in Megaton and talked to everyone the first time around but this time I somehow picked up the quest to blow the town up in there and a delivery quest. Neither of those was in there before.