Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 116939 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Oh and I still haven't managed to find any quest that lets me use Powered Armor. I've given up on it. I guess I just miss too many quests.

Power Armour isn't tied to a quest in the normal sense, but it does relate to one of the main story quests in perticular. It's only possible to miss the training if you fail to ask a certain character about it.

To get it, you need to have worked through the main quest line and completed the quest "The Waters of Life" - part of this quest sees you fleeing the Enclave and takes you to the Brotherhood of Steel. When you arrive at the Citadel, they allow you to enter. Once inside you have to speak to Elder Lyons and ask him about power armour. He'll agree that under the circumstances you should be trained and sends you to Paladin Gunney. Speak to him and you get the power armour training perk.

If you've played your cards right you should have a suit of Enclave power armour repaired by this point. If not you can get a standard PA from the Brotherhood Lab.

Currently I'm heading up to Vault 92 as part of the Agatha's Song quest. Going to go to the Commons and check out the Temple of the Union on the way back down.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
To get it, you need to have worked through the main quest line and completed the quest "The Waters of Life" - part of this quest sees you fleeing the Enclave and takes you to the Brotherhood of Steel. When you arrive at the Citadel, they allow you to enter. Once inside you have to speak to Elder Lyons and ask him about power armour. He'll agree that under the circumstances you should be trained and sends you to Paladin Gunney. Speak to him and you get the power armour training perk.

Ah ok. I'm still way back on the quest where you have to gain access to Vault 112 so that would explain why I haven't gotten access yet.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
Finally got to the power armor guy. Thanks for the heads up on that, Petrarch.

Here's a thing we could do. Let's list out the perks we've found useful or not. If you list one as not useful be sure to note if it just wasn't a good fit for your play style, it's broken, or whatever.

Useful -

Thief - 3 ranks in this as I both Sneak and pick locks quite often. I actually maxed out Lockpicking before anything else.

Intense Training - used this for an extra point of Strength. Might have been better served waiting until I got to Strong Back but it helped at the time.

Swift Learner - I think I have 2 ranks in this one and it's been nice to advance so quickly.

Commando - Yes, I went commando.  ;)  This seems to have helped my sneak attacks a ton. I'd actually argue that at this point it's one of the things that's made me a bit overpowered.

Strong Back - Unless you started with a Strength of 9 or 10 I don't see why you wouldn't take this perk. It helps immensely.

Here and Now - It was very nice to immediately ding again.

Robotics Expert - Sneak up and disable the bots. Sadly, there isn't an animation of you tripping them in the dark while their hands are full.  :P

Not useful -

Toughness - with only one rank I haven't really been able to tell if it makes a difference. Also, stuff rarely even gets to me with all my sneak attacks so 10% damage reduction is kind of silly.

Gun Nut - a waste with me going for Energy Weapons. I picked it up for the extra Repair early on but would have been better served just spending points on the skill.

Silent Running - the extra 10 points to Sneak was nice but I've never figured out how it works in a sneak attempt while running which makes the perk quite useless.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2008, 08:26:53 PM »
Silent Running - the extra 10 points to Sneak was nice but I've never figured out how it works in a sneak attempt while running which makes the perk quite useless.

When I'm wandering the wastes I sneak all the time, but with shift held down. Hurried sneak.
Why? The [CAUTION] notification pops up way before the lil red bars do :P
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »

Brug, don't you have auto-run on?  I know I do, and if I used sneak a lot I would think silent running would be a must.  It's not supposed to let you, like, shoot someone and get the sneak bonus while you're moving; all it does is let you sneak without slowing you down.  Normal movement with auto-run = Fast speed.  Sneak = walk = slow speed.  Sneak + silent running = fast speed.   See?

My goods and bads:

Good:

Intense training like whoa.  I have like 5 or 6 points in this to max out my intelligence and add a couple more points of agility. 

Educated - Definitely.  By level 4 I had 10 intelligence and Educated, which means I get 23 skill points per level, which is HUGE.  I haven't taken any +skill point perks, because I don't need them. 

Strong Back - This seemed like a waste in FO1 and 2 when you got so many fewer perks, but now it's awesome.

Commando - Yes.

Sniper - Yes.

Lawbringer - I almost put this under 'mediocre', but fuck it.  Every freaking raider has a finger!  Every single one!  Massive karma bonuses and a nice little stack of caps, both of which don't really matter, but it's still fun to walk around with a sack full of fingers.  It seems to me like the evil version of this perk must be pretty shitty in comparison.  There just aren't that many good people to kill, and there are raiders everywhere.

Mediocre

Bloody Mess: I took this for the +5% weapons damage, which is decent, but it makes a lot of the death animations kind of stupid.  I shoot someone in the leg with a hunting rifle and all their limbs and their head explode.  What?

Bad

Lady Killer: I've seen a dialogue choice from this perk one fucking time, and it was redundant in that situation, as I'd already convinced someone else to give me they key that it would have gotten for me.  This perk is bullshit.

Also, I haven't tried them, but I think swift learner and here and now wouldn't be that great.  I haven't even gone into vault 112 yet and I'm like level 14 or 15.  The game has a level cap of 20, right?  I've only explored like half the wasteland and I'm 3/4 of the way there, I have a feeling I'm going to hit the cap way before I'm done with this play-through.  Then once I'm level 20, swift learner and here and now will just be wasted perks!

edit: why the crap aren't you guys using the auto-run? 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:09:41 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »

When I'm wandering the wastes I sneak all the time, but with shift held down. Hurried sneak.

This was my problem. I never realized you could "run" while sneaking. Because of that from what the perk said I gathered I could do the upright run and get the hidden, caution, danger messages.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »
The Educated Perk is all kinds of win - having what I think amounts to an extra 45 points by the time you reach lvl 20, with skills like lockpicking and repair being far more useful than in previous games, it's hard to find a downside against that perk.

The Finesse perk is quite useful too as it essentially gives you +5 to luck.

Action Boy/Girl - 25 more points to use in VATS. I can shoot 6 times with the laser rifle using this in one go.

I forget the name of it but there's a perk that gives a 50% damage bonus to critical hits, I think I may take that one next, but I'll have a look at what's on offer at 17.

Just had my first experience with the Deathclaws. Those things are even meaner than before and lightning quick.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2008, 11:54:45 PM »
Damn, I'm posting from work and I forgot about Finesse.  Of course Finesse is awesome.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 02:53:41 AM »
A posting from a guy on the Straight Dope boards about builds:

Finn's Fundamental Findings:

Start with 10 points in intelligence. The extra skill points really come in handy. Take a point off of strength, charisma, luck and endurance. Put them all into agility. You can find an agility bobblehead to get you to 10, and that should be one of the very first things you do.

Tag small guns, lockpick and speech , repair or science. I prefer speech.

Personally, I like to level up lockpick to 90 and get its bobblehead asap. After that, small guns and then repair. Science can be put to about 50 and you won't miss much. I haven't found anything that needed higher than 75, and even those computers are very rare. Lockpick is much, much, much more useful in most cases, IMHO. But you should always hack computers, just for the extra HP. Having a high repair skill (or at least a moderate one) allows you to make caps hand over first in the beginning as you can take Rader style crappy armor and repair it until it's worth quite a bit. I actually encountered a 'cap bottleneck' at the beginning of the game as all the merchants ran out of caps before I ran out of loot to sell to them.

Once you hit level 12 or so, you can start putting points into energy weapons. I wouldn't waste them on big guns. Sneak is okay, but not a priority. Medicine is nice. Explosives should be put to about 35 and then ignored.

The perks you should get: you should bring perception up to 9 (10 with bobblehead) for your eventual use of energy weapons, and bring luck and endurance back up to five. Maybe endurance to six. Sniper, commando and action boy are all required. Bloody mess is fun and the extra 5% damage can mean the difference between killing a foe and almost killing him. Toughness is nice, but not essential and if you're going to be relying all that much on it in the first place, you're probably already dead. You should also take the perk that gives you extra skill points to spend each level (I forget its name). Lawbringer is a nice perk to give your character some flavor and earn some extra caps, but it's a luxury, not a necessity. Obviously take the grim reaper perk without a second thought. Finesse seems to make up for having your luck at only 5. Cyborg is a nifty enough perk. Strong back is great if you're going to be lugging lots of stuff around. I've never taken the better criticals perk, but it might be worth it if you find yourself getting enough critical hits in combat.

Hrm, what else... make sure you store extra copies of weapons in your house so you can easily repair the ones you use. Also make it a habit to collect and store junk. When you start getting schematics, you'll need all those paint guns, surgical tubes, motorcycle gas tanks, etc... At the very least, check out what you might like to build and make sure you get lots of its components as you go along.

Make finding bobbleheads one of your very first goals, before almost anything else. At least in a few key skills.

Um... oh, and, when you get the Nuka Cola Clear forumla and trade it to the hockey player guy, kill him right afterward. His mask gives you something like 20 or 25 extra action points.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 03:09:18 AM »
We have houses?  :stunned:
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2008, 04:10:17 AM »

This was my problem. I never realized you could "run" while sneaking. Because of that from what the perk said I gathered I could do the upright run and get the hidden, caution, danger messages.

Ok, I was mistaken. After I got back into the game I found that I've been "run" sneaking this whole time (hitting L-Shift slows me to a crawl). So I still fail to see what the benefit of that perk is.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2008, 04:12:54 AM »
Make finding bobbleheads one of your very first goals, before almost anything else. At least in a few key skills.

Yeah, good luck with that. I'll wait till someone comes out with a list of locations. Ever since I got the one that raised my Int I've been keeping a close eye out for more of them and haven't found any. That's zero. None. Nada. Which means that they more than likely buried them under all kinds of crap in some back corner of every location.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

Yeah, good luck with that. I'll wait till someone comes out with a list of locations. Ever since I got the one that raised my Int I've been keeping a close eye out for more of them and haven't found any. That's zero. None. Nada. Which means that they more than likely buried them under all kinds of crap in some back corner of every location.

I heard one is in the locked room of the sheriff for Megaton. It's the strength one.

I'm trying to find my way into the Ranger Compound. I just saved them from Supermutants... but could they give me a ride... NOoooooo.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2008, 04:31:40 AM »
I'm trying to find my way into the Ranger Compound. I just saved them from Supermutants... but could they give me a ride... NOoooooo.

Never found the Rangers at all.

Oh and yes we can get either a house in Megaton by defusing the bomb in the center of town or an apartment in Tenpenny Tower (I think).

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2008, 04:34:15 AM »

Never found the Rangers at all.

Oh and yes we can get either a house in Megaton by defusing the bomb in the center of town or an apartment in Tenpenny Tower (I think).

Then I shall try it. =)