Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 116942 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »
First impressions having made it into the wastelands after escaping the vault:

1. Oblivion, I disliked as it felt lifeless, clinical and generally you'd seen one lake, you'd seen them all. Fallout 3 feels far more "alive" for want of a better term and far less samey, while at the same time making you feel like you're on your own against the world.

2. VATS is the dogs bollocks. That's never going to get old. Non-VATS combat, while handy in a pinch, simply isn't fun.

3. Voice acting seems to be held to a higher standard than Oblivion.

Early days, but Bethesda seems to have pulled it off. Looking forward to getting the bloody mess perk for some gratuidous, over the top violence.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »
Bottlecap mines are fucking incredible.  Save all your lunchboxes, cherry bombs, and sensor modules!

edit:  I also wanted to mention that the bloody mess perk makes some deaths a little ridiculous.  For example, if I kill a super mutant by shooting it in the head with a hunting rifle, I might expect its head to explode.  I would not expect all its limbs to simultaneously explode as well. 

Never liked that perk - kinda seemed a waste.

Well, in the older games it was a trait, and it was only a waste if there was a second trait you'd rather have, which sometimes wasn't the case.  I nearly always went Gifted/Finesse or Gifted/Bloody Mess; I just didn't like the trade-offs on the others.  In FO3 I never would have taken it if it was just the animation change, but it also has +5% to all weapon damage; that's money, sonny.

edit: also, Owl, sounds like you and I took the same path with Mr. Burke, only once I realized there was no way to save the Sheriff's life if I turned in Mr. Burke, I just reloaded and blew Mr. Burke away right after he asked me to blow the town.

ah yes, you are right - it was a trait. And yea, I could see having an opening for it then. Because most (save "gifted") weren't that great anyway.

I killed Burke right after he shot the sheriff (because I thought he was gonna shoot me.) Everyone ran away, though - looks like the game really didn't want me to do that :)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 01:10:34 AM »
The toughest critter for me so far is the other insect...can't remember the name atm. It's like a humanoid beetle and you have to run into a nest of them for Moira's book. You have to shoot them in the face to do decent damage and the face isn't visible a lot of the time.

Also...the naughty nightware side quest is funny. I'm going to love seeing how it ends.

The ants were a pain mostly because A) I believed the NPC that told me to shoot for their antenna (head shots do way more damage) and B) I was just running out of ammo. By the time I left I had used every mine and grenade I had and all my guns were empty except my SMG which had 30 rounds.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 01:23:41 AM »
The toughest critter for me so far is the other insect...can't remember the name atm. It's like a humanoid beetle and you have to run into a nest of them for Moira's book. You have to shoot them in the face to do decent damage and the face isn't visible a lot of the time.

Mirelurks?

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 02:09:24 AM »
Just found a laser pistol in Super Duper Mart - pity my spec is for small guns/big guns. Later maybe :)

Tend to be using the 10mm a lot right now, but found a chinese assault rifle to go with it. Thus far, 2 levels of gun nut and educated taken for perks.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 02:11:00 AM »
2. VATS is the dogs bollocks. That's never going to get old. Non-VATS combat, while handy in a pinch, simply isn't fun.

It's very good. More so than I dared hope. I use vats for nearly everything except RadRoaches.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 04:27:10 AM »

Mirelurks?

Aye, that's them.

And yeah Petrarch, the Super Duper Mart was my first mission for Moira. Lots of goodies to be had from there and luckily Energy Weapons was my highest weapon skill.  8)
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »

It's very good. More so than I dared hope. I use vats for nearly everything except RadRoaches.

I just wish it wasn't so necessary. Aiming directly at a critter's head and having the shot veer off in a random direction to hit something else is rather annoying. I realize this is probably them working your skill with the weapon into the shot but I'd have rather they just based the damage around the skill and not have it effect the shot itself.

ShadyGuy

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 05:16:08 AM »

I killed Burke right after he shot the sheriff (because I thought he was gonna shoot me.) Everyone ran away, though - looks like the game really didn't want me to do that :)

I actually saved the sheriff. I went into VATS mode as soon as I saw Burke going for his gun and shot the pistol out of his hand. He then ran into the kitchen, picked up a knife and attacked me. Then I blew his head off. :D

I'm having much fun with this game :)

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »
Aiming directly at a critter's head and having the shot veer off in a random direction to hit something else is rather annoying. I realize this is probably them working your skill with the weapon into the shot but I'd have rather they just based the damage around the skill and not have it effect the shot itself.

I think the gunplay is pretty realistic (in terms of hits/misses.) Shooting a gun accurately is not easy even when not under fire. I'm glad they didn't go the FPS twitch route.

Also, seem to need a lot more stims and bullets than FO1 or 2. Always looking to conserve both (where in FO2, the minute you got to the Den, you were prettymuch swimming in ammo and stims)

All in all, that's good - I actually feel like the wasteland is a very dangerous place (where I never got that feeling in the first two.)

heh - here's something that didn't change - Dogmeat running after bad guys and getting killed. I reloaded and left him in the Megaton apartment. He'll protect my stuff. 

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
I have to say I agree. I LOVE wandering the wastelands, etc - it just feels so... alive (and properly post-nuclear "dead" at the same time, which is good). Easily the most immersive gameworld I've played to date.

I loved the little 'scenic overlook' sign just as you were leaving the vault. Somebody at Bethesda understands the meaning of subtlety. :)

I spent over 2 hours just running around part of the wastes before I even got to Megaton. And that's not just because I got lost.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »
I like the way Bethesda have made an effort to make all skills useful in some way - there was certain things in Fallout/F2 that you dismiss as a waste of time (such as outdoorsman). A good example is the way repair is handled. If you're into a lot of shoot first, ask questions later, it becomes something of a vital skill not only to keep your gear working, but it saves money at the vendors too.

I also like the fact the game flags desks/lockers etc that have nothing in them as empty to save you clicking on every single one just in case there's something there.

I'm still hunting down a combat shotgun, only come across a sawn off so far.

I have however found a full set of Brotherhood Power Armour, but I can't use it as your character needs the Power Armour Training perk which I think shows up after you meet the Brotherhood.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:26:17 PM by Petrarch »

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 02:45:13 PM »
Hahah, I found a combat shotgun last night, and my first thought was "Man, Petrarch would love this thing." 

Also, not using VATS for radroaches is crazy!  I mean, sure, if there's only one of them, just pop it, but if there's like four, there's nothing better than loading VATS, queuing one shot on each of them, then watching my guy blow them away in rapid succession. 
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
I've found a few combat shotties during the day and by clobbing them all together, I've got one that's not going to break after the 1st shot is fired. It's taking time to harvest up ammo though, especially the 5mm stuff.

I've also come across a laser rifle, though it did require putting a bullet through the head of the raider that had it.

I've just been into the train tunnels for the first time, good fun. Be time to think about heading to the citadel soon.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
Hahah, I found a combat shotgun last night, and my first thought was "Man, Petrarch would love this thing." 

Also, not using VATS for radroaches is crazy!  I mean, sure, if there's only one of them, just pop it, but if there's like four, there's nothing better than loading VATS, queuing one shot on each of them, then watching my guy blow them away in rapid succession. 

Agreed. I should have specified. If there's one then yeah, I just pop it. If it's more than I'll miss a few times and waste ammo so VATS is necessary for a Flock of RadRoaches.