Author Topic: My first F03 screenshot  (Read 37226 times)

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Re: My first F03 screenshot
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 04:14:50 AM »
Owl, all things being equal, why get the 360 version over the PC version?

Recliner more comfortable than computer chair

42" LCD better than 21" LCD

Better controls (at least I think so)

If a toolset is released however, I will buy the PC version in a heartbeat.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 04:24:25 AM »
will post a few thoughts after about an hour in:

1) I can see VATS is going to be awesome. Fun fun fun.

2) DEFINITELY "Oblivion-ish" in feel. This is good, IMHO.

3) Sneaking is fun.

4) Was not sure which skills to take - I took small guns, sneak (if it's anything like Oblivion, sneak will be handy), and... speech?

5) Since *everything* doesn't depend on AP's this time, there's no need (IMHO) to take a 10 in agility (no gifted perk in the beginning, either, so you don't get those extra 7 points)

6) I killed someone who seemed pretty important. Oops. Guessing that's ok, though (hey, the game let me, and even reacted to it.)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:27 AM »
will post a few thoughts after about an hour in:

6) I killed someone who seemed pretty important. Oops. Guessing that's ok, though (hey, the game let me, and even reacted to it.)

I think I did that too... nudge nudge know who I'm talking about?

I reloaded and still didn't get out of it. I thought another conversation tree would give me a out but it didn't.

However... I think there's a solution in the office further down where I hopefully don't have to kill... the Nameless Important Person.

---------------
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
Installing right now!

Amazon.com shipped my pre-order Survival Edition last night, had it here by this afternoon. (And Yes, Doomsie, they tried to cancel my order as well, but I got the initial email from them asking for a response on whether or not to cancel...though now I almost wish I'd gone for just the Collector's Edition).

Overall the Collector's Edition of the game is nice, the dvd and concept art booklet, and the bobblehead (the bobblehead is better made than the clock!) are all well done, and the lunch box is kickass!! (no thermos though!  should've had a Nuka-Cola Thermos instead of the clock!)

As for the Pip-Boy 3000 "Deluxe Chronometer", it feels cheap, though it looks alright on the shelf and does nothing other than tell time (no alarm, no radio, nothing remarkable at all), unless you want to try to wear it for giggles.  Though it does say 'not a toy' and 'not intended for wear' on the packaging, I'm still woefully unimpressed by Bethesda's effort on this part of the package, and it was certainly not worth the 50$ upcharge, but since I rarely buy games when they release, I figured I'd give this one a shot.  Guess that'll teach me, eh?  :inquisitive:

Funny thing though, the box for the clock has one of those 'inspected by' stickers like you find in socks and other garments...which reads..."Inspected By 13 for Vault Deployment"  :laugh:

Alright, I'm off to explore the wastelands once more!
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »
As for the Pip-Boy 3000 "Deluxe Chronometer", it feels cheap, though it looks alright on the shelf and does nothing other than tell time (no alarm, no radio, nothing remarkable at all), unless you want to try to wear it for giggles.  Though it does say 'not a toy' and 'not intended for wear' on the packaging, I'm still woefully unimpressed by Bethesda's effort on this part of the package, and it was certainly not worth the 50$ upcharge, but since I rarely buy games when they release, I figured I'd give this one a shot.  Guess that'll teach me, eh?  :inquisitive:

Yeah... I might have Buyer's Remorse after that. I probably should just spend the money on that Nuko Cola on E-bay.

I wish there were more Fallout theme items to buy. I would LOVE to have small figurines that showed some of the common perks, skills, traits, etc.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 05:11:05 AM »
Overall the Collector's Edition of the game is nice, the dvd and concept art booklet, and the bobblehead (the bobblehead is better made than the clock!) are all well done, and the lunch box is kickass!! (no thermos though!  should've had a Nuka-Cola Thermos instead of the clock!)

I felt the $50 was way too much for just the clock thingee, so I went with collector's. LOVE the lunchbox / bobblehead / art book - nice package.

If I had to guess, I would guess that Bethesda (who are not cheap) was just as disappointed with the clock (which they undoubtably had made by a third party).

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 05:28:42 AM »
I was going to not get it, with Wrath right around the corner and someone really bugging me not to. But I woke up today and just couldn't not. Racing home and gleefully opening the package to find... that my four year old CD-ROM doesn't even know what a PC-DVD is.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 05:58:40 AM »

Well I also did this so I guess it's a pretty common er...mistake *innocent look*

I just got done doing some shopping for a person *vague*
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 06:23:26 AM »

Well I also did this so I guess it's a pretty common er...mistake *innocent look*

I just got done doing some shopping for a person *vague*

Yeah... sorry about hitting him with a baseball bat and groin shooting him.

I thought MAYBE... maybe.... I could switch my weapon and blame it on someone else. That didn't work.

"OMG! Who shot this nameless person? Wasn't me. Someone shot him with a gun, I only have a baseball bat... which I used to kill the guy who shot the VIP. If *cough* ahem I was only there in time."

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 06:50:35 AM »
It was really, really hard not to kill that person.  You have to walk a razor thin line.

So far the game has been fucking incredible.  I will jaw about it at length tomorrow when I'm at work and have time to kill.  I'd like to post a screenshot of me dominating someone, but combat SCs are always too hard to get; inevitably the capture always takes place right before or after the awesome moment.

So...

Look!  It's our nation's capital! ULTRA DC!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:54:12 AM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 07:25:35 AM »
It was really, really hard not to kill that person.  You have to walk a razor thin line.

So far the game has been fucking incredible.  I will jaw about it at length tomorrow when I'm at work and have time to kill.  I'd like to post a screenshot of me dominating someone, but combat SCs are always too hard to get; inevitably the capture always takes place right before or after the awesome moment.

So...

Look!  It's our nation's capital! ULTRA DC!

I tried Lockpicking but I was caught even though I had Sneak/Steal as a tagged skill. Maybe I just 'rolled' bad? I had two satisfying moments in the game. One was with a guard with the vats. Groin with a bat and then a uppercut with a bat.

The other was the EPIC jump in the air and bring the bat down moment with a RadRoach. The roach splattered the hallway. =)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:40 AM »
I'm trying not to kill that person. I was to play as a good person that takes no sass.

eg. You're not getting my pastry!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »
And it's dispatched! I'm stoked for this. Got Friday off work so I can spend the day messing around with it. Glad I got the story in Fable 2 finished so I don't have to keep jumping between the 2.

My personal mission is to find a combat shotgun, flick on VATS and introduce it to someone's face.

Btw, I realise this may be too early to tell, but the power armour the Brotherhood are using - has anyone seen/found out anything that would tell us if it's a redesign of the T51-B and is supposed to be the original or is it a newer/older version?

Turjan

• Wasteland Denizen
  • You cannot kill a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
I opted for the 360 version over the PC version myself - a first for me when such a choice is available actually. My reasons?

Normally if I have a choice with FPS I always go for the PC version because there's no way a handheld controller can ever compete with the free'n'easy movement afforded by a mouse, simple as that. But...Fallout 3 has the handy dandy bullet time VATs doesn't it? And that more than compensates I'd say.  8)

The main reason though is the age of my rig here. It can still handle most things okay, but the key word there is "okay". I knew beyond a doubt that running Fallout 3 would mean having most of the sliders knacked to minimal. But I also know I don't have to worry about the 360's specs not being up to scratch because that's the wonder of consoles isn't it?

Oh, and there's also the small matter of a large HDTV in the living room, see, and the comfy chairs too  ;D

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »

Normally if I have a choice with FPS I always go for the PC version because there's no way a handheld controller can ever compete with the free'n'easy movement afforded by a mouse, simple as that.

I used to think this also, but I have found that, after getting used to it, I actually prefer the controller. And not that either version is "real", using the controller does mimic using a gun better (as compared to a keyboard) - to me, it definitely adds to immersion. 

I usually always buy the x-box version of a game myself. I will buy the PC version of FO3 if mods surface, however.