Author Topic: Looking for an opinion on a new TV  (Read 3891 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Looking for an opinion on a new TV
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
I've got my eye on the Toshiba 37XV505D to replace my current Samsung non-HD, non-digital set, but I'm not 100% clued up in this area. Normally I'd look at Samsung and while they are generally cheaper than this model, the opinion seems to be the panels used on their models aren't up to scratch compared to others.

It seems to check all the right boxes as it can output up to 1080p and has HDMI ports, which I want to connect my 360 to which is an elite model and can output up to the same res as far as I understand it but I'd like a 2nd opinion from someone more up to date with HD stuff.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an opinion on a new TV
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »
It's a different model but I've been very happy with my Toshiba since I got it. Mine has 3 HDMI ports as well and they come in very handy. So as far as the brand and that particular feature I can give you a thumbs up. However for the other stuff I'll leave it to someone with more expertise.  ;)

Edit - I wanted to link a forum for you that was pretty useful both before and after I got my TV. I looked around on it and couldn't find anything specific about the model you are thinking of but that could be because it's so new or perhaps because they use a different model number in the UK. I did a search for Regza XV though and I found a thread where they have started to gather information.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1005661&highlight=regza+xv
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:32:02 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:10:07 AM »
*Echoes the AVS forum comment.*

They also have threads for getting the most out of your picture and sound settings.

As far as the TV, I'm more than happy with the 46 inch Samsung 5 series LCD that my girlfriend and I bought.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:20:37 AM »
*Echoes the AVS forum comment.*

They also have threads for getting the most out of your picture and sound settings.

As far as the TV, I'm more than happy with the 46 inch Samsung 5 series LCD that my girlfriend and I bought.

I have a 42" Samsung LCD 1080p etc etc - love it. Really, really love it. XBox looks amazing.

In my research, I found Samsung to be near the top.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »
Cheers all, especially for that link, going from there proved to be rather helpful.

I have to admit I was wrong about the Samsungs - I was comparing what I didn't realise were older models to newer ones, which was pushing them down the pile. A bit more digging and I'm drawn now to the Samsung A656A 40". This is a series 6 panel and it's winning over the Toshiba model as it handles black levels better, has a 100hz mode and will give the full 1080p over an HDMI connection and for me, the most important factor is getting the HDMI output at 1080p. The only drawback I can see is that it's a bit more expensive. There's a review of it here.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
The 6 series TV's are nice as well. We were debating getting that version of our 46", but it was 350 or so more for a slightly better contrast, a 120MHz refresh rate, an extra HDMI port (6 series has 4, 6 series has 3), and a slightly more decorative look. I looked up a couple opinions on 120, and for the most part it seems to be overrated, only really coming into play in extremely fast moving scenes like sports, and even then it's hardly noticeable. YMMV.

So refresh rate alone shouldn't make the decision. For us, the extra things didn't justify another $175 each. We decided to go with a bigger screen in the 5 series rather than a smaller screen in the 6 series since smaller screens make it harder to appreciate the benefit of 1080p over 720p.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
I got the TV yesterday (advantage of having an estate car, no having to wait for delivery, just stuff it in the boot) and set it up this morning. Went for the series 6 Samsung that I linked in my last post, the LE40A656. Thanks to folks for the advice and the AV forum link, it all proved very helpful.

Got a home cinema system free with it too, but that's not arrived yet. The 360 is now running at 1080p and the difference is amazing. MUCH easier reading the text in games now and everything's just so vibrant now.

Snapped a picture of it earlier and just for the folks here, I had the Fallout 3 trailer running on it when I did.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:50:07 PM by Petrarch »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »
Wow... now I must go a buy a widescreen monitor for my PC just so I can pretend my fallout will look like that >.>
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.