Author Topic: Love Stinks Part II: The New Beginning  (Read 59707 times)

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
Re: Love Stinks Part II: The New Beginning
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »
If you are not 100% sure a chick is into you, she just flatout isn't. If she *was* into you, you would know, you wouldn't need to be guessing.

You sure about that?  What about this "Game" I've heard so much about.  You know, "The Dance"?  You're telling me that it doesn't exist?

Oh it exists, but the Game is just the social process by which two people who are into each other ease into being open about it without feeling like they gave up the most pride, dignity or restraint to get there.

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »
Yeah, Lara's probably right here.  I was probably subconsciously looking for signals.

Lara is always right. It's this thing she does.

And you're not subconsciously looking for signals, you've got a magnifying glass and are combing every square inch of ground. If you're not even going to be honest with yourself on a fucking message board you don't stand a lot of chance of getting over this thing in the real world.

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »

And you're not subconsciously looking for signals, you've got a magnifying glass and are combing every square inch of ground. If you're not even going to be honest with yourself on a fucking message board you don't stand a lot of chance of getting over this thing in the real world.

Listen to him, there's wisdom behind his comic douchebaggery!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »
Well, I tried.

Hope the resentment and self-pity works out for ya.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »
No man, I get it.  I was browsing through demotivational posters and randomly found that one.  Thought it was funny and relevant.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:36:46 PM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »
Well, if you really get it, the first thing you need to do is get some free-weights. I know from experience that if you're lazy enough to get fat, you're too lazy to go to the gym and, even if you weren't, it's humiliating being the fat guy at the gym. This I know. If you don't have or aren't willing to invest the money in something like a bowflex (Which was my best friend. I got one after my first 3 months after I'd lost around 40 pounds) you will need a cheap set of free weights. However, since that will only work out certain areas, you will need to make the best of what you have.  "Not having the equipment" is no excuse. All excercise is just resistance in one form or another, and I lost the first forty pounds with nothing but two twenty pound dumbells, a floor and a set of stairs.

Also, I really recommend Isopure (I believe that's what it was called) protein shakes. 50 grams of protein per, the taste is actually very tolerable (at least in chocolate) if a little bland, and it's loaded out the ass with 50-100% of the daily recommended allowance of more or less every vitamin and mineral ever discovered by man. Protein=muscle, and having muscles=more calories being burned at all times.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
I know a guy who has been besotted with me for almost 2 years, and it drives me batshit insane that even though he was (and i suppose, is) a great guy with whom i had a great friendship, i can't so much as compliment his new haircut without his face lighting up, heralding the imminent arrival of yet another 'I need to tell you how I feel, just give me a chance, I swear we were meant to be together' conversation. He pretty much forces me to treat him badly, because if i show any affection (hugging him when he got promoted) he takes it as a sign that i am desperate to bear his children. I dont really believe in mixed signals - only people who want to see something that isnt there. 

Then stop hugging me! *runs away sobbing uncontrollably*   :bigcry:

PS - Loveshack, this post wasn't poking fun at you. Just wanted to make sure you knew that. I think we've all (man and woman alike) probably been in situations where we were interested and the other person wasn't. It sucks, feelings are hurt, and oaths to never try again are made. Eventually though, if you keep trying, things will likely work out with some other person when you aren't even looking for it to happen. Keep the faith, bro.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
It may be of small comfort to you, but even though you had to drive under the influence, I feel that you did the right thing.

No, he didn't.

Drove under the influence over a girl???? A friggen girl????? Please.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »
What happened concerns the girl from Love Stinks part I.  She and I and some other high school/college friends got together because we were all in town for the holidays.  The other men at the party are engaged.  All night long she kept "letting slip" that she had broken up with her boyfriend.  Like three different times.  The drinking and such carried on through the night, and the other friends kept suggesting we get together.  She and I both sort of laughed it off.  We wound up back at one of her friend's places around three am with one of her lady friends and a guy friend.  Drinking excessively for a while.  Her lady friend and this other guy hook up despite having just met.  This girl, who I'll remind everyone I've known for 20 years, just wants to sleep.  Alone.  I am drunk, and I'm not even offered the courtesy of a couch.  But I have a car and the other guy doesn't, besides he's busy.  I'm really not good to drive, but I don't have any other option really.  I say my goodbyes, and leave.  On the way home, I cannot figure out what the hell just happened.  Things were looking good there for a while.

Ok, this seems to be the point where comments are appropriate.

One of two things is happening here:

1) She is NOT into you, yet you think by saying she broke up (etc etc) she secretly IS into you. Lara and others covered this nicely, so I'll leave it alone.

2) Sorry - this might be mean (again). Ok, suppose she IS into you, and the "things were looking good there for awhile" signs were real. Well, WTF WERE YOU WAITING FOR???

My goodness, you "friend" guys are the most timid, sorry bunch I have ever seen. Are you waiting for her to flat-out say "yes, it's safe to kiss me"? Are you waiting for her to make the first move? You say things were looking good - well, WHY DON'T YOU ACT ON THAT????? Why are you so friggen afraid and timid? Allow me to let you in on a secret - women HATE that. They hate the milksop, timid guy who needs a clear "YES IT IS SAFE - I DO WANT YOU" sign (and you know what, even if she said that, you'd probably say "are you sure??")

The problem is you, not women. You are afraid of women, to be honest. The guys who get the girls are the ones who actually make the moves. You know, the ones the "friend guys" refer to as "assholes". 

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »
I say this coming from a dude who also used to be overweight, insecure and way too concerned with chicks...

snipped for brevity, but this is a great post (and not just cause he says listen to Night Owl)

I love hearing stories of people who took control and just *did* something to make their life better. I'm a huge believer in confidence, personal responsibility, your life is yours to control, etc etc etc - all that self improvement shit is real.

Awesome story, Shard. Really.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
It may be of small comfort to you, but even though you had to drive under the influence, I feel that you did the right thing.

No, he didn't.

Drove under the influence over a girl???? A friggen girl????? Please.

I was going to leave that part of his actions alone because I didn't want to use the language I'm about to use but I feel now that I have to say something just to make a point.

When I was younger I did the same thing. I never left the neighborhood I was in, it was the middle of the night, and I just drove a few streets away to park and be alone after an argument with a girlfriend. Even with all that considered it was a dumbass thing to do on many levels. If I had been caught driving like that it would have screwed my life up. Even worse, if I'd hit somebody it could have ended theirs.

Don't ever do it folks. It's not worth the risk to yourself and others. It's a completely selfish act to put the lives of everyone on that street in your impaired hands. So Loveshack, I'm saying this with love for ya bro. Don't be a dumbass again.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »
They hate the milksop, timid guy who needs a clear "YES IT IS SAFE - I DO WANT YOU" sign (and you know what, even if she said that, you'd probably say "are you sure??")

Very true. Confidence (not swagger) goes a long way.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 08:24:12 PM »
They hate the milksop, timid guy who needs a clear "YES IT IS SAFE - I DO WANT YOU" sign (and you know what, even if she said that, you'd probably say "are you sure??")

Are you sure?  :anxious:

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:51 PM »

Are you sure?  :anxious:

In what manner? Confused.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!