Author Topic: Doggie Doors: What should I know?  (Read 2575 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Doggie Doors: What should I know?
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »
I think one of our dogs has a thyroid problem and has to pee. Unfortunately, she loves to sniff and sniff and sniff before doing her business.

In addition, they both just love to go in and out. Since we're probably getting a house, I'm thinking about getting a wall mounted doggie door.

I figure one with a dual flap that I can close so they don't go out at 2:00 AM in the morning. Does anyone have experience with doggie doors?

I suppose kitty doors would do as well.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Doggie Doors: What should I know?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »
I think one of our dogs has a thyroid problem and has to pee. Unfortunately, she loves to sniff and sniff and sniff before doing her business.

In addition, they both just love to go in and out. Since we're probably getting a house, I'm thinking about getting a wall mounted doggie door.

I figure one with a dual flap that I can close so they don't go out at 2:00 AM in the morning. Does anyone have experience with doggie doors?

I suppose kitty doors would do as well.

My parents have a kitty door for their porch. It's a square dealie that has a swinging piece of hard plastic. There's also a little latch you can set to keep it closed. It's definitely not big enough for your dogs but I assume they make bigger ones.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:47 AM »
They make those kind with the electric sensor that only open for the intended animal so you don't have possums and stuff running through the house.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
They make those kind with the electric sensor that only open for the intended animal so you don't have possums and stuff running through the house.

I've heard of those ones.  They need some kind of magnetic chip on the collar of the pet, I think.  Might be worth looking into how reliable they are before deciding on one.  I know access control card swipe systems need the card to be held pretty close to the reader and it's unlikely a pet would do that.  Of course, the animal version may work differently.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:48:44 AM »

I've heard of those ones.  They need some kind of magnetic chip on the collar of the pet, I think.  Might be worth looking into how reliable they are before deciding on one.  I know access control card swipe systems need the card to be held pretty close to the reader and it's unlikely a pet would do that.  Of course, the animal version may work differently.

Worked okay for my cats. Kept the raccoons out of the garage. The only downside is they open and close kind of slow, so if something was chasing them, it could be inconvenient.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"