Author Topic: Latest invention!  (Read 1974 times)

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
  • Til things are brighter, I'm the man in black.
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
Latest invention!
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
After hard labor in my workhovel, I am proud to present the latest advance in highly ironic disruptive technology. As usual, I am a Genius *pause for effect*. Now, most cool people know when something is cool, but it often doesn't remain cool over time. In fact, coolness seems to exhibit a number of properties similar to radiation in that over time certain things stay cool while other's degrade and become not cool. The key breakthrough in my research on the subject has been in the startling realization that coolness is not in fact determined by a single atomic particle or wave, but is an event similar to radiation where a number of elementary particles and waves are emitted. I would therefore like to formally announce the discovery of the "Pretention" an elementary particle that conforms to wave particle duality. Current high energy research at my workhovel seems to indicate that the coolness "event" produces two "Hipion" particles to every "Pretention." And this key breakthrough has finally allowed for accurate measurement of how cool and ironic you jaded cool people really are. I call it the "Pretentiometer", a device for measuring the presence of the Pretention particles and their corresponding impossible to measure Hipions. The derived unit of measure would be Hipion/Pretention giving us a derived unit, I call the "Bono" for obvious reasons. I am available to take questions.     
[-)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: Latest invention!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:56:29 AM »
You should really hang out in my neighborhood sometime. The "ironic but not for the reasons they think" hipster-type crowd is very prevalent around here.

(There are two types of hipsters, unfortunately the original and non-pretentious type has become the minority it seems.)
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
  • Til things are brighter, I'm the man in black.
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
Re: Latest invention!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Funny you should bring that up. My experiments seem to indicate that the pretention produced by the "hipness" event seems in certain cases to combine with one of the two produced "hipions" leaving a lone "hipion" that slowly seems to degrade over time. In other cases, however, pretentions seem to build up and predominate over time, suggesting the indirect influence of a third as yet undiscovered particle or wave produced by the event. Additional research into the Feynman diagram of what I call the "Lameion" a non elementary particle composed of certain types of pretentions may lead to further breakthroughs. Busy, busy, busy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:01:09 PM by The Outrider »
[-)