Author Topic: Maybe finally an alternative to cable TV  (Read 1780 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Maybe finally an alternative to cable TV
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
   I've been looking to free myself from the kung-fu grip of Satellite TV for a while and I finally may have found a decent alternative.

http://www.boxee.tv/

Boxee. Very nice Free Software, still in beta though. They even sell a separate box for $200 that comes preinstalled with the software, or you can download it for Free. It basically searches a bunch of sites with free (legal)  movies, TV shows and music (including on your hard drive)  and puts them in a very nice organized list. A lot of the movies are indie, and most of the TV shows you're not going to get acess to every episode, but for being free it's pretty awesome. The only bad thing is, no HULU support (yet..?)! The GUI is very nice, and its pretty snappy. You can even use your iphone as a remote with an app.
    I never really bothered with watching shows or movies on the net because of the amount of searching involved, but this is really easy and might just change my mind.

On a second note: Why can't more TV shows be like South Park and put every episode including the movies streaming on their website for free!? (supported by a few ads). Especially older shows and cartoons that are never on standard cable. I hope we can get to that point someday.

Ed: I promise I dont usually sound like Vince Offer. I'm just pretty excited about this.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:43:53 PM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe finally an alternative to cable TV
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
On a second note: Why can't more TV shows be like South Park and put every episode including the movies streaming on their website for free!? (supported by a few ads).

The reason is the same as with everything else in the World: money.

I haven't tried Boxee yet, but it is a modification of XBMC, which I love and adore. I have my old laptop running it in the bedroom and I am building a new PC for the living room to run XBMC. I can use my android phone as a remote, and my girlfriend uses her iPhone, it's awesome.

Unfortunately, there is no legal way of getting all the channels you describe here in Denmark, as there are lawyers in the internet tubes.

The Boxee box is awesome for the cost, and will suit everyone but the hifi and/or computer geek.