Author Topic: Contract Killer discussion  (Read 3690 times)

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
Contract Killer discussion
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:17:20 PM »
Hey people who are Unwashed,

I was wondering about something ever since I started my hundredth or so play through of Fallout 3. The perk Contract Killer invites you to work for an organization called Littlehorn & Associates and focuses on contract killing, just like the Lawbringer perk allows you to join the Regulators (Which Lucas Simms works for). I've always played with the idea that Mr. Burke was/is a member of that organization to kind of add something to his somewhat mysterious background.

What do you guys think about this theory? Has it been discussed before? I don't know
But it'll help

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
Re: Contract Killer discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »
Hey people who are Unwashed,

I was wondering about something ever since I started my hundredth or so play through of Fallout 3. The perk Contract Killer invites you to work for an organization called Littlehorn & Associates and focuses on contract killing, just like the Lawbringer perk allows you to join the Regulators (Which Lucas Simms works for). I've always played with the idea that Mr. Burke was/is a member of that organization to kind of add something to his somewhat mysterious background.

What do you guys think about this theory? Has it been discussed before? I don't know

Hmm... I never thought about it before but that does actually make sense, considering that Lucas Simms was a Regulator, it would make their stand off all the more awesome. His strange way of speaking, cold exterior and evil nature as well as his professional demeanor would definitely hint at this as well.

So, I guess it's up to the player as to whether good triumphs over evil. :P
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
Its been a while since I've played Fallout 3, I need to pick it up again since I felt disappointed with New Vegas lately.

I thought that event where Burke kills Lucas Simms in the beginning is a very interesting moment, designed to show the player the mortality of NPCs. We grow to like Simms for a few moments, even to meet his child, only to find him unexpectedly assassinated. This goes to show that even "good" characters aren't protected from death. Interestingly, its possible to save him using V.A.T.S., but most players wouldn't think to use V.A.T.S. in those few seconds, and even if you save him theres no real reward. The more interesting scenario is arguably to let Simms die.

As for your theory, well I find assaination organizations kind of silly in a game where most NPCs attack you on sight, but yeh that makes some sense.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »
Why were you disappointed by New Vegas?

I'm going to have to go back to FO3.