Author Topic: Spore releases ParticleMan  (Read 1491 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Spore releases ParticleMan
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »
http://www.spore.com/comm/prototypes

You can download it at the linked page

"ParticleMan simulates gravitational attraction between particles in a cloud. This system was used to study such gravitational dynamics as orbits, nebula formation, star formation and particle streams from sources like pulsars and black holes.

ParticleMan has the following elements:

* Particles — point masses which interact with each other
* Gravity Wells — fixed point masses which attract or repel particles(depending on magnitude, which can be negative), but do not move or change mass without user input
* Particle Guns — sources that spit particles out at a given angle and velocity
* Gravity Wells and Particle Guns may only be placed on the green grid in the z=0 plane.
* The Iso Surface — an isosurface geometry object derived from the positions and masses (which act as field strengths) of the particles.

Turn 'particle-particle interactions' under physics off and on to see the difference between the more orderly and predictable independent particles and the chaotic interacting ones.

With particle-particle interactions off, you can create some elaborate streams of particles using the Particle Gun and Gravity Well objects.

Play with physics controls to create different kinds of gravitational simulations. High fusion rates can be used to simulate star birth in collapsing nebulae, for example and low fusion rates can be used to simulate interaction between stars in a galaxy."
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
Re: Spore releases ParticleMan
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »
o.O

Dude, that's some heavy shit!

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: Spore releases ParticleMan
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
Are those dots, or is it a speck?
If they get underwater do they get wet?
Or does the water get them instead?
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!