Poll

no seriously. i recently acquired cable and have been sitting in front of my couch for hours. what's the funniest show in the world, in your opinion?

the daily show
0 (0%)
south park
1 (5.6%)
entourage
0 (0%)
flight of the conchords
0 (0%)
arrested development
1 (5.6%)
scrubs
1 (5.6%)
all of these. god fish, your tv taste is so excellent.
2 (11.1%)
other
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: what is the funniest show ever to be shown on tv?  (Read 9132 times)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
Re: what is the funniest show ever to be shown on tv?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »
Crow, every second the main character and female lead are offscreen:  They're doing it right now.  Yeah, they're doing it.  I'm pretty sure they're doing it right now.

I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Doug

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »
Everybody else has most of the obviously great/hilarious shows, so to the uncommon...

ok, I know most people are sick of irreverant, surreal 11 minute adult swim comedies, especially after so many poor showings, but I have to say

Metalocalypse and Frisky Dingo are the best quarter hour shows adult swim has had since ATHF and Sealab. Dare I say it, perhaps better?

Alright, brief synopsis for the unfamiliar

Metalocalypse: This show details the lives of metal band, cultural phenom, and world's 12th leading economy, Dethklok. They just passed Belgium. A shadowy illuminati group tries to spy on, infiltrate and control this "threat to the status quo", while the band themselves are so filthy rich and out of touch with everything that all they know is how to make brutal metal and how to negotiate a contract.

Frisky Dingo: this one is even better, haha. I don't really think it's *about* anything, even though there is a season long storyline. It's about billionairre Xander Crews, who is also the super-hero Awesome X, after he's cleaned up crime and his merchandise and job as Awesome X go down the shitter. He's essentially batman, only instead of batman pretending to be Bruce Wayne, he's Bruce Wayne pretending to be batman. Add in the delightful new villain on the block, Killface, and what do you have? Comic Jumbalaya, that's what.

as for real shows, it doesn't quite match up to most of hte real sitcoms you mentioned, but Sports Night was an awesome and way underrated show.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »
Holy shit I loved Sports Night.  I was sick pissed it got cancelled.

Metalocalypse has some episodes that make me laugh my ass off the whole time and some episodes where I laugh maybe once.  I still crack up every time I think about little baby Murderface watching his dad kill his whole family and himself though.  NOW MY RIGHT ARM . . . NOW THE LEFT!

Frisky Dingo is fuckin' awesome, yeah.  I'd say Frisky Dingo is as good as ATHF and Sealab, though not better.  It's tough for me to deal with the fact that the one bitch is voiced by the same woman that does Debbie though.  She's a fine voice actress and all, it's just the exact same voice doing two similar characters on Adult Swim- every time she opens her mouth I just hear White Debbie.

which brings me to the line which proves that no 11 minute comedy will ever beat vintage sealab

"You mean there's a black Stormy?"

Let's see, what else is esoteric and awesome

Oh!  Oh!  Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!  Not that the show has ever made me even think about laughing a single time, but when it finally and gloriously gets cancelled (and hopefully someone dismembers the titular creators), oh, how happy I will be!  How the tears of joy will flow!  Unfortunately it's already been picked up for a second fucking season, which made me weep tears of blood and bile, but one day!  One day we will be free of it, and on that day I shall see God!

I guess I should try to think of some more shows I actually like.  Hmm.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »
For me, it's MST3K. Nothing else ever came close.

"All these monster fights are rigged" -- Crow, while watching Godzilla and the Sea Monster battle it out.

We just saw: A collection of shorts including... Mister B Natural.

Synopsis: An androgynous... man? shows a teenage how to be popular in school with the power of music.

MST3K Shorts Mr. B Natural

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 11:11:22 PM »
"You mean there's a black Stormy?"

"Oh, Nice going, Sparks! The monitors broken, and you're dead. Happy?!"
"Oh, its working now. Nevermind."
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 11:38:14 PM »

Joel: "Mr B., you're HOT"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 12:02:02 AM »

Joel: "Mr B., you're HOT"

At Comic Con someone asked if they were going to do any more shorts. Then the audience member went: "You know... Mr. B Natural? That was SOOOOO not right."

Big laughs from the audience and the bots.

They also asked about Joel:

Answer: "Joel... is Joel."
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
  • Til things are brighter, I'm the man in black.
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 07:03:09 AM »
Bizarre, I was just going through that on DVD. 

"You know, Liberace wished he was this gay."
[-)