Author Topic: OMG! I found that song. Not the Bwannnno song. The song about the Wet & the Dry!  (Read 2199 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Remember from classic.unwashed where I had the Aussies think of a song about a farmer or truck drive and the wet season?

I could never find it. Then I remembered that I had the Dr Who Aussie song which was on that CD. So I typed in the lyrics and I saw that a band called Bullamakanka sang it. So I went to Amazon searched for Bullamakanka and I hit the samples. I don't think it's the same CD since I purchased it in 1998 in Australia but it's the Best off that was released in 2002. There's two songs that it could be.

Either Man on the Land or Dust.

But that's ok because there's other songs on there that I love.

Amazon.com: Best of Bullamakanka: Bullamakanka: Music

Now to find that Bwanno Bwanno song.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
Hehehehe.... I'd forgotten about that Dr Who song.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with either of the other songs.  Aussie folk music is a bit like vodka for me... I OD'ed on it when I was younger and I can't really stomach it in great quantities anymore.  A little bit now and then is ok, but I do prefer aussie pub rock these days.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Aussie folk music is a bit like vodka for me... I OD'ed on it when I was younger and I can't really stomach it in great quantities anymore. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:52:20 AM by Doombot »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bubonic: Australian who should love the music of his own people so he doesn't disappoint Americans with stereotypes said on 08-10-2008, 08:56:39

hehehe...  Sorry 'Bot.  I didn't mean to shatter your illusions.

Aussie folk music is for bush hippies.  There are some iconic songs and bands (The Bushwhackers, Redgum, Rolf Harris, etc) that I believe all Aussies should be able to recognise since it does reflect a part of our culture, and often a part of our history that isn't otherwise recorded succinctly.

Having said that, for me a better reflection on the Aussie condition and modern social commentary can be found in the pub rock scene (Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Hunters and Collectors, Spy vs Spy, Gangajang, Hoodoo Gurus, Weddings Parties Anything, Men At Work, Split Enz, Australian Crawl, etc, etc).  Admittedly none of these I've named (to my knowledge) are still touring, but any 2 or 3-piece hired by your local will play many of their songs over the course of an evening.  Plus, they rock harder.

Ok... I've spent an hour or two between that last line and this one listening to and researching a few of the bands listed above, and I have to stop myself before I start typing a long-winded admiration of Hunters and Collectors in general and their album Jaws of Life in particular (although Demon Flower is just as good... and Ghost Nation isn't bad either... Nor is Cut...).  If you're interested check them out.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Nighthavok

There used to be a small local FM station where I lived that played college radio rock.  To this day, I don't know if it was someone broadcasting out of an actual building or a garage. :(

I remember listening to a lot of the Gurus and Midnight Oil during my formative years. :) 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:28:56 AM by Nighthavok »