Author Topic: *cheer* for Obama  (Read 2201 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
*cheer* for Obama
« on: April 20, 2009, 01:23:40 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/18/obama-administration-boycott-racism-meeting/

"I would love to be involved in a useful conference that addressed continuing issues of racism and discrimination around the globe," Obama said in Trinidad on Sunday after attending the Summit of the Americas.

But he said the language of the U.N.'s draft declaration risked a reprise of Durban, during which "folks expressed antagonism toward Israel in ways that were often times completely hypocritical and counterproductive."

"We expressed in the run-up to this conference our concerns that if you adopted all of the language from 2001, that's not something we can sign up for," Obama said.

More at link

Good for him.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: *cheer* for Obama
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:55 AM »
So I went to Fark and noticed a thread about this conference. In it, someone had posted this gem of a video clip where a member of UN Watch eviscerates the UN Human Rights Council a couple of years ago.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:56:58 PM »
I agree with the problem, but I don't think staying away is going to solve anything. "We stay away because we fear it might turn anti-Isreal, anti-free speech" - why not show up and find out - then walk out if so desired?

It's not something that gets my panties in a bunch - I don't really think the whole West - vs-  Middle East problem is going to be solved at Durban II.

I do think that the Isreal is getting away with a lot of things that other countries would not. That "anti-semite" card is looking mighty worn.

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »
Ah well.. Looks like our delegate and several others have indeed walked out during Irani President Ahmadinejad's speech.

Not a huge surprise, but I somehow better like the message of walking out than not coming at all. Maybe I'm coloured by the handling of the Mohammed-cartoon scandal here.

I don't understand why they even bother with Iran.. Sure, they have a president, but he answers to a freakking theocracy.