Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 546944 times)

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
I got kicked outta the army  :bigcry:

Makes me sad. I know I was part of the decision, but still, this is what I wanted to do, and had the enxt two-and-a-half years of my life planned on  :embarassed: Got some form of lung-infection and wa ssick for over three weeks (still am). 10 days sick=kicked and called in for the next season, but I started getting back-problems as well, so I was declared permanently un-fit for military duty. AKA they don't call me bak in, but if I get my back sorted out, I can still go of my own free will.

*sighs*

Yeah, dunno what to do now. Gonna talk with a school guidance-councillor monday and see if I cans tart school january, otherwise I'm gonna have to find a job to support myself with until summer. Leaning towards an engineering-degree in IT, since they currently need around 3 times as many IT professionals as the country is educating and, quite frankly, I love computers.

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2007, 10:12:29 PM »
I say go bush.
:P

Anyway, sucks to hear it, dude. I can relate to plans falling apart on ya. Happens to the best of us.
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
  • Til things are brighter, I'm the man in black.
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2007, 01:33:19 AM »
I got kicked outta the army  :bigcry:

Makes me sad. I know I was part of the decision, but still, this is what I wanted to do, and had the enxt two-and-a-half years of my life planned on  :embarassed: Got some form of lung-infection and wa ssick for over three weeks (still am). 10 days sick=kicked and called in for the next season, but I started getting back-problems as well, so I was declared permanently un-fit for military duty. AKA they don't call me bak in, but if I get my back sorted out, I can still go of my own free will.

*sighs*

They also serve who only stand and wait.  I remember how I felt when my body wouldn't hold up to Ranger training. Was a huge decision for me to give that up for engineering school.  At least you know what's wrong with you. Took me six more years and a lot of medical bs before I finally got diagnosed.  Hang in there, someday this will make sense. 
[-)

Tink

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Coffee Wench
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
It's been a rough 3 weeks around here. My Mother-in-law had a heart attack and had to have a pace maker put in 3 weeks ago. They released her from the hospital, 3 days after the operation and a week later, she had a stroke. She was in for a couple of days when she had a second stroke that left her in critical condition. When she went in the first time, for the heart attack, my husband wasn't even told until she'd been in the hospital for a week. There are 10 siblings in his family and only 4 of them were told right away.  The sister thats in charge of taking care of his Moms estate and such, chose who should know about their mother and who shouldn't. She went as far as to put a pin # on my mother-in-law, so that we couldn't not obtain information by calling the hospital. She only gave the pin # to the same 4 she told the first time.
The last stroke left her so bad, that she didn't know who we were when we went to see her. It was so hard to see her like that and the whole thought of her maybe not being around much longer is taking it's toll on all of us. Two days before she had the stroke, my sister-in-law from Florida came to see her and took my 3 kids up to help with Grandma's garden. She loves her flowers and always has a beautiful yard. My sister-in-law told me that I should know that those 3 kids made her so happy by that little gesture of helping her and showering her with love, and that her Mom's eyes just beamed with pride that her Grandchildren cared enough to take time for their Grandmother. All in total, she has 26 grandchildren and 32 great grandchildren. Out of all of them, there are probably 6 grandchildren that came to see their grandmother. :(
We can handle his Mom being sick, but the bullshit that started as soon as it didn't look like she was going to make it, was just inexcusable. I've never seen such bad behavior, and it's only coming from one sister and she is the Queen of Evil and nobody wants to mess with her, b/c it would do their mother no good.
Just to ice the cake, I got a call Saturday morning from my Father-in-law and he's in the same hospital as my Mother-in-law now, b/c he had a heart attack too, from all the stress. It's all a very long story and none of it very good, so I'll leave it at that.:( Just letting you guys know why I've been so quite lately.
btw-Thanks for the heads up on Mozilla/Firefox. Great system! I can't believe how fast my computer is now. I was beginning to wonder where the speed in my RRHighSpd was:) I haven't used IE since! I told Overkill when he asked me, that if he asked in the village and it got good recommendations, he could add it. He so happy that I told him to come back to the village.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationary.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »
It's been a rough 3 weeks around here.

It certainly sounds that way.  :(

*dwarf hugs*
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »
Hugs Tink.

I'm not excusing their behavior but it seems common. When I worked with the elderly people, I saw how abandoned they were. Family would hardly come and they were so alone. That's why it took so long for me to do my calls. They were starving for some sort of interaction and they would just talk to me.

I don't know if it's an inability to deal with pain/death that causes some people to ignore their family or what.

But it is very sad to see.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2007, 06:37:02 PM »
*huggles Tink*

As far as what Dooms said, she's pretty much right. Pretty damned sad, but true nonetheless :/

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2007, 08:17:07 PM »
It's been a rough 3 weeks around here.

i know exactly how you feel. my family tells me nothing. my grandfather had a stroke in feburary, my cousins who are never over were here when i got home and it took them an hour to tell me why. when my grandmother was in teh hospital i found out a day after everyone else, and i think my sister was in iowa at the time.

just hold onto the happy memories and you'll make it through.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Tink

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Coffee Wench
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »
I am SOOOO not getting involved with family bs anymore. I won't even bother to tell you things that have been going , nobody would believe it. I've never seen such inhuman behavior in a family before. I've seen lots of families get mean after a loved on passes away, but these ppl take it to a whole new level and the woman isnt' even dead?!?
On a good note, my husband got his Mom to smile a couple times yesterday and she was well enough to drink some tea from a straw, but she's going to need a lot of physical therapy and she will never be like she was. There was just too much damage from the stroke.

Tank-I'm so sorry you got kicked out of the Army. Major suckage! :( *Hugs* I hope you feel better soon.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationary.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2007, 08:45:26 PM »
Family stuff like that sucks, I'm sorry Tink. : (
Army stuff like that also sucks, sorry Tank. : (
Weird. TinkTank.

My great grandmother passed two weeks ago, but she was 98 so no one felt cheated. She's the crazy old German lady who killed a snake with a gardening spade only a few years ago. She'll be missed, she always reminded us how stupid petty family squabbles were. No one left has the balls to be that blunt any more.

On the plus side I'm finally working in IT as my main job now, I design websites for other departments on campus here at UNT, and it's giving me fulltime experience so I can finally start a career and stop hearing "Ooh I'm sorry we're not hiring entry-level people now" after my ten years of part-time experience with computers. So be ready for that Tank, but if you have a degree in it they're a little more forgiving (my degree is in music composition so it's hard to find work as a computer-type guy without experience, thus the classic catch-22 situation).

"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2007, 09:45:39 PM »
DK is screaming for IT professionals, they've outsourced over 20k jobs the last couple years (population is less than 6 million). There's companies with 20grand sign-on payments and some even offer another 20grand after 6 months if you're still there o.O

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
went home for the weekend. parents came to pick me up on friday after class, felt kinda achy on the way home figured good sleep in my own bed would make me feel better. saturday felt the beginings of a cold and drank tea. yesterday it hit me and now i feel dead. took the train back to school and didnt expect that changing my sheets would be heavy labor, but with the bunk it decided to beat the crap out of my already sore back. i've got at least two hours of homework for each class, four classes. and then i have a final for the fifth class. yes a final. it's a half semester class and really annoying.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2007, 02:57:52 AM »
Sorry to hear that Tank. =/

I'm sure there will be things you love in the future... things that you wouldn't have been able to do if you went into the Army but still...

I'm sorry you didn't get to do what you've been planning for.

*Hug*
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
I designed a business card using nothing but simple shapes, text and a Vector image I downloaded from IStockphoto.

Then I saw the TINIEST bit of pixelization. Then I wondered why I didn't do it in Illustrator where it's all Vector Artwork. I used Photoshop out of habit.

Grrrrr...

Oh well... the cards come in a few days. Hopefully they'll be fine.

Explanation: Illustrator doesn't shapes and text very well. Pictures too if you're talented enough to work with it. Since it's Vector it means you can probably increase the size to whatever and it'll always look sharp.

With Photoshop, if you increase the size you'll get an effect similar to stretching a image on PlayDoh

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »
Our pottery teacher had to go in for surgery a few weeks ago and has been recovering at home. So this quarter we have a substitute teacher who is more skilled at hand building and less at wheel throwing. So atm, I've got several hand built pieces in various stages of completion including a small platter and two plates. I started another hand built critter but I've decided I just can't work on those effectively. It takes a lot of work just to get one ready to fire and my attention span just isn't long enough to get one done.

I have gotten three thrown pieces done but only one turned out ok. The other two weren't that good so I made them glaze experiments. One turned out a pretty green though so at least I learned a good glaze combo. I'll put pics of everything up when I have enough to justify a new thread.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:35:44 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney