Author Topic: Change  (Read 8441 times)

Nighthavok

Re: Change
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
I find it offensive and insincere to simply dismiss Obama becoming President with any phrase that start's with "Oh, that's really great, but..."  Forty years ago, white and blacks couldn't eat at the same damn table.  Drink from the same water fountain.  Use the same bathrooms.

America has a Black President.  There were sure to be some crybabies.  Just as I'm sure there were when the South lost.  Just as I'm sure there were when slavery ended.  Just as I'm sure there were when a high school in Little Rock, Arkansas accepted a race other than white.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »
Why, those crazy colonials!  :laugh:

Seriously though, considering the running joke over here in Yurrop that Uhmurrikens have no history and so keep trying to invent their own via the illusory medium of Hollywood, I find it a tad bewildering that here, today, you actually have a solid gold 100% Historic Event, one that rivals anything the Hollywood make-believe machine could turn out...and you have sour grapes Republicans like Brug immediately crying "Bah humbug!"?

Tis very sad  :(

Revel in the moment! History has come a-knocking at your door, don't turn it away. There'll be plenty of time in the future to grumble and go "Meh, I never liked him anyway". Remember, by very definition, historic firsts only happen once!

I'M NOT A REPUBLICAN

conservative does not = Republican. They can be one and the same and in the past they were the same thing. Not anymore.

To me it's not historic as I'm white and indifferent to race. By that I don't mean that I don't care about black people or other minorities. I mean that when I meat someone I don't care if they are a minority. My initial reaction to someone has never been dictated by the color of their skin. This actually has worked for me very well in the business world as my last job had me working with many blacks, hispanics and asians. Whether they worked for me or I had to report to them they always made it clear they loved working with me.

I noted initially though that I recognize the significance of what this means to black Americans and I absolutely do recognize it. I can't possibly empathize with it because I don't have the history that they do. All I can do is appreciate what it must mean to them and I do.

However, because I'm indifferent to race, I just see another corrupt politician in Obama and I've made it clear I felt the same way about McCain.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »
I find it offensive and insincere to simply dismiss Obama becoming President with any phrase that start's with "Oh, that's really great, but..."  Forty years ago, white and blacks couldn't eat at the same damn table.  Drink from the same water fountain.  Use the same bathrooms.

America has a Black President.  There were sure to be some crybabies.  Just as I'm sure there were when the South lost.  Just as I'm sure there were when slavery ended.  Just as I'm sure there were when a high school in Little Rock, Arkansas accepted a race other than white.

Yes and thank you for illustrating what anyone who speaks out against Obama's policies has to look forward to for at least the next four years.

"What? You don't like Obama's stance on X topic? RACIST!"

"Senator X, why are you opposing Obama on issue Y? Are you a RACIST?"
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Nighthavok

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »
"To me it's not historic as I'm white and indifferent to race."

Wow.  Thank you for illustrating what no one has to merely assume about you any longer.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »
"To me it's not historic as I'm white and indifferent to race."

Wow.  Thank you for illustrating what no one has to merely assume about you any longer.

Thank you for taking that out of context and proving you can't read English. And also for proving me right about the charges of racism that anyone questioning "the One" will have to endure.

How long exactly is the politically correct moratorium on being able to disapprove of Obama openly now that he is president? A few days? A few weeks? A year? Four or eight years depending on how long he stays in office? Of course if we aren't allowed to discuss his administration freely in four years without being called racist I guess that means he's a lock for a second term no matter what his performance was.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:01:33 PM by Brugdor »

Nighthavok

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »
Someone's testy.   :D  I didn't accuse you of racism nor did I call you a racist. 

No one gives a fuck that you don't like him on general principle because he doesn't embody your ideology.  What is amazing, is that you consider black history to be separate from American History.  That you can't share in the accomplishment that is someone of color in a position only held by whites.  Disagree with him on his policies.  Challenge him on his stances.  But for crying out loud, stop being so obtuse and recognize the significance it means to ALL AMERICANS, not just those "black ones."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »
Someone's testy.   :D  I didn't accuse you of racism nor did I call you a racist. 

No one gives a fuck that you don't like him on general principle because he doesn't embody your ideology.  What is amazing, is that you consider black history to be separate from American History.  That you can't share in the accomplishment that is someone of color in a position only held by whites.  Disagree with him on his policies.  Challenge him on his stances.  But for crying out loud, stop being so obtuse and recognize the significance it means to ALL AMERICANS, not just those "black ones."

The problem is that it didn't take Obama becoming president for me to say the glass ceiling for black people had been broken in this country. We currently have a black Sec of State, black senators and congressmen and women, black head coaches in the NFL, black CEOs, etc and so on. I understand why black Americans feel differently. They needed this affirmation to finally see it but that ceiling has been gone for a while now.

Note - I'm not saying that racism is gone. I'm saying that the sky is the limit for minorities in this country even though they might run into more opposition on the way.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 09:41:46 PM »
hahah, never mind
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:47:45 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 04:54:54 AM »
Conservative Snark Fin Soup

1 pound snark fin
2 cups water

Bring contents to a boil. Serve.

Sample taste -

Less than fifty years ago, African-Americans were barred from public universities, restaurants, and even drinking fountains in many parts of the country. On Tuesday we came together and transcended that shameful legacy, electing an African-American to the country's top job -- which, in fact, appears to be his first actual job. Certainly, it doesn't mean that racism has disappeared in America, but it is an undeniable mark of progress that a majority of voters no longer consider skin color nor a dangerously gullible naivete as a barrier to the presidency.