Author Topic: Let's have another book recommendation thread  (Read 52170 times)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Let's have another book recommendation thread
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2009, 03:19:23 AM »
i'm currently reading "food in history," it's kinda self explanitory

i just finished reading about the dancing plagues of way back when. it officially comes out in a month or two, somehow there was an advanced copy in the clearance section of my used book stores.

i have a feeling that i'll be starting to read alot of history books for fun. any suggestions?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
Reading the first of the Sookie Stackhouse Novels.

Starting on the second Dexter novel.

Just read Dead House from the Goosebumps series (nice light reading before bed - nothing like reading about dead dogs and humanoid zombies before shutting my eyes)
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2009, 01:46:47 AM »
I read The Gathering Storm by Jordan/Sanderson and it was really good.  Sanderson did a good job in making the transition of authors barely noticeable. I had read before getting it that the one spot he seemed to struggle with was Mat and I have to agree that Mat didn't seem like himself in this book. Hopefully Sanderson will work on that and have him down by the next book. I highly recommend this one if you are a fan of the series. Even if you got burned out by Jordan's efforts in the last few books.

I read The Road by McCarthy that inspired the movie. Ugh, that thing was terrible. Avoid this one. Am I supposed to feel anything for these characters? I ask because I finished reading not caring at all about either one of them. I'm amazed that they came up with enough material to make a movie out of it. It's basically the same thing over and over.

1. Man and son wake up hungry and needing to find food while traveling.

2. They are starving, cold, tired, and often sick.

3. Man worries about his son. Son worries about his dad.

4. Son does something stupid to waste resources and is told it's not a big deal.

5. Others must be avoided at all times and treated with fear and suspicion when they can't be avoided. This implies that some action takes place regarding others but not so you'd notice.

I give this book a solid MEH.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Thrakazog

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2009, 07:03:01 AM »
Jordan was a master writter, I doubt any author could entirely measure up to him. There were some things about sandersons book that I felt were a bit off but once I got into it, I really didn't care. I am satisfied with him finishing the series.

Stephen kings new book, Under the Dome was excelent. One of his best in my opinion.

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton was also really really good. Not a very long book, compared to his others but a very fun read. Highly recommended.
On the fringe, blood and bullets are the rule of law, and if you're a man of conviction, violence is inevitable.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »
Now reading The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons. Liking it a whole lot.

My wife is reading Under the Dome - she says it's good. I like King, so I'll probably queue that one up.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2009, 02:53:13 AM »
Now reading The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons. Liking it a whole lot.

My wife is reading Under the Dome - she says it's good. I like King, so I'll probably queue that one up.

I saw a few reviews on Under the Dome. Here's the gist.

"King is back!"

"I was ready to write King off... but this book redeems him."

"King's Best effort!"
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2009, 04:39:13 AM »
Just read Dead House from the Goosebumps series (nice light reading before bed - nothing like reading about dead dogs and humanoid zombies before shutting my eyes)

RL Stine is still writing those?
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:51 AM »

RL Stine is still writing those?

Unsure. I just grabbed the first book in the series.

Wikipedia says... yeah. Goosebumps HorrorLand anyway. A spin off series. I didn't read further to see if he's still writing the other series.

Thrakazog

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Lets see...  I listen to audio books at work, and I go through one or two a week, it can get hard to remember them all...

Law of the Nines by Terry Goodkind...  you should probably avoid this one unless you're a die hard fan of his.  The blurb about the book doesn't mention it, but it is tied to the Sword of Truth series, except it's in our world.  It's hard for me to say if it has spoilers of the other series in it, since I've read it too, but I don't think it does.  If you haven't read the sword of truth books, I think you'll just be confused by this one a bit.  Anyways, it's got all of the things I don't like about Goodkind in it, long winded characters, unnecessary repetition and explanations, it's like he thinks we're too dumb to remember what he wrote a few chapters back.  And he never misses an opportunity to let us know exactly what his opinions are... cell phones are for idiots, modern art is dumb, and communism is the root of all evil. Goodkind is a good story teller, I suppose, but he's a terrible writer.

I saw some mentions of the Dresden Files, and I'll second them... or third them, whatever.  The audio books are especially good.  James Marsters is an excellent narrator, I love the way he yells "FUAGO!"

And I have to say this again if you missed it the first time.  Read Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton.  READ IT!  This book is great, sea battles, sword fights, and a touch of Crichton sci fi.  It's fast paced, and an incredibly fun read, I'm listening to it for the second time already.  One of the best books I've read in a long time.
On the fringe, blood and bullets are the rule of law, and if you're a man of conviction, violence is inevitable.

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2010, 04:04:30 AM »
I can't believe nobody, once, has mentioned Heinlein. He may have left us in 85 but some of his work is still trickleing out, "The Fantisies of R.H. Heinlein" has several previously unpublished shorts that fill in some of his "timeline". Also "Variable Star" which was an unfinished Heinlein manuscript until Spider Robinson completed it. (It is published with both authors credited) He truly kept the full Heinlein flavor.
Then there is Quafum (sp) by Alen Dean Foster which is not part of the "Pip & Flinx" series but if you are a fan you must read it to understand the final book in the series "Flinx Triumphant" (working, not final title it may change) but i lucky enough to have a signed ARC manuscript and I ain't tellin nuttin (i promised damn it but Ohhhhh so so so so so good)
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 04:16:06 AM »
Finished Harry Potter 1. Almost done with Club Dead from the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries. Started A Matter for Men - Book 1 of The War Against the Chtorr.

Also reading another book on how to right gooder for the web.

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2010, 05:32:07 AM »
Anyone read the full Dark Tower series? Damn goo reading in my humble opinion.....
The comics are petty sweet to!
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2010, 09:16:03 AM »
Jordan was a master writter, I doubt any author could entirely measure up to him. There were some things about sandersons book that I felt were a bit off but once I got into it, I really didn't care. I am satisfied with him finishing the series.

Joran was a master writer.  He was incompetent near the end of his life. 
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

Joran was a master writer.  He was incompetent near the end of his life. 

According to my girlfriend who's read practically the whole series (maybe not the very last ones), the problem with WoT was that Jordan originally conceived it as being only a few books, but due to the success of the early ones, his agent/publishing company/whoever else has a position of authority over an author pressured him into making the series longer and he acquiesced.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
Anyone read the full Dark Tower series? Damn goo reading in my humble opinion.....
The comics are petty sweet to!

I've read the full series. When King is on, he's an amazing storyteller (though, something about his writing style kind of rubs me the wrong way). When King isn't on, his books become drudgery.

Dark Tower achieved both, which is actually fitting, seeing as it is a foundation upon which many of his other books all tie together.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!